Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flying Drone with one hand
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JEchoDelta
lvl.1

United States

I'm new here so plesae be patient with me.  I'm VERY interested in purchasing a Phantom to fly with my son.  I'm a veteran and only have one arm.  I know with flight sim games I can reprogram the stick to woth with my one hand.  Is there a third party stick that can be programed to fly a Phantom with one hand?

I searched the forum and saw an old thred with some suggestions to try a tripod or lanyard to another poster.  Just curious if there's anything that ciouuld give me comtroll with just one hand.

Thanks and God Bless-

2019-7-26
Use props
JPilotR
First Officer
Flight distance : 584662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi JEcho!

First off, thank you for your service and sacrifice.

FT Aviation Drone Controller. I saw a YT video on it awhile back. You hold in one hand like a stick on a plane. I don't know if it made it out of funding though? Anyone know?

Good luck!
2019-7-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day JEchoDelta. Thank you for choosing DJI and thank you for reaching out. I hope that you will get the best recommendation and information from our valued DJI co pilots with regards to this matter. In addition you may check this DJI Forum thread as well https://forum.dji.com/thread-193119-1-1.html . Thank you.
2019-7-26
Use props
Sean-newbie
Captain
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

How much of the original controller's function do you seek to transfer to a single handed controller, for example
a) just yaw, pitch, 'roll' & throttle, or
b) those and some or all other button and dial functions or
c) everything including communcation with the drone and screen etc?

If a or b, do you wish to modify the original controller?
2019-7-28
Use props
NM_Quad
Second Officer
United States

I flew my P3S yesterday intentionally with just one hand to see what it was like.  In my case, just my right hand with the remote hanging from my neck with the lanyard.  Indeed, it is a bit tricky.  Took a little practice keeping the remote steady with just one hand.  Might work better with a longer lanyard for a lower arm position.  I could manipulate both sticks with one hand with thumb on the left stick and next to little finger on the right stick.  After a few minutes, I was learning to make fairly smooth flight maneuvers.  Dropping altitude with left stick while moving forward with right stick was the trickiest for me.  Panning, flying forward at same or increasing altitude wasn't too bad.  Thank goodness for the hover feature with no stick action (in GPS mode).  Allows one to regain your composure quickly when you get confused and send it in wrong direction.  My only thought is if some way to make the stick handles thicker with a foam rubber wrap or something so the control surfaces are closer together.  My hand was getting a bit sore by the end of the flight.  Regardless, I do hope you find a solution and some practice with different techniques to your satisfaction.  They're fun to fly and take photos/videos ... and a great activity to spend time with your son.  My best regards.
2019-7-28
Use props
StraightArrow10
lvl.3
United States

Hi JEchoDelta

I also am VERY thankful for what you have given for our country. The men and women like yourself are true heroes to all of us who have not served and and can't begin to imagine how far your sacrifice truly goes. A simple Thank You just doesn't seem enough....

JPilotR's recommendation about the FTAviator is a great idea! I literally  just received mine on Friday. I pulled it out of the box and have used it once for less then 5 min just to check operation. I think this would be great as all flight controls are on one joystick. It also has a mount adapter (see pics) on the bottom so it can be secured to a tripod or other type of mount easily. It also has buttons/dials on the base to adjust things like the camera angle camera settings etc. I would love to send it to you to have. I hope that it will make it possible for you to enjoy the hobby that I love so much. Just send me a PM if you would like it and we can work out the details on shipping  it to you.

John
2019-7-28
Use props
Sean-newbie
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

With regards to the Ft Aviator, mounting it on some sort of body or arm harness might allow more or easier manoeuvrability than a tripod. I recollect seeing some such thing in a movie or TV programme, such as Stargate, where a soldier was controlling a 'buggy'. If a body harness the controller's mounting point was offset to one side of the torso so that the controller looked to be in a natural position for the soldier's arm.
2019-7-29
Use props
stuka75
First Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

What you want is a tray to put the tx in like we've been using for years in fixed wing and heli flying. Tray loops around neck supporting a small tray to put tx or stick on. Even with  a stick as shown above, it needs s a stable rest and this coupled with the drones gps\s stabilizing should make flying a snap one handed( snap may be over stated).
Trays look  much like this one: https://www.ebay.com/i/152096728 ... rtaxshoCd1sQAvD_BwE
Good luck and welcome home!
2019-7-30
Use props
Sean-newbie
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There looks to be a REALLY NEAT controller starting at 3.00 minutes in this video

https                                   ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1E9jtE1aAk

(remove the gap between ''https'' and '':'')

2019-8-1
Use props
Manxmann
Captain
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

I hope this link works for you - I just saw it elsewhere on the forum.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D690%26typeid%3D690

Good luck.  
2019-8-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Curious how this turns out...

RedHotPoker
2019-8-5
Use props
stephensmith121
New

India

StraightArrow10 Posted at 7-28 13:22
Hi JEchoDelta

I also am VERY thankful for what you have given for our country. The men and women like yourself are true heroes to all of us who have not served and and can't begin to imagine how far your sacrifice truly goes. A simple Thank You just doesn't seem enough....

It is really superb..
2019-10-30
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
United Kingdom

Yes first of all is the use of a tray to hold whatever controller chosen steady.

Here's a budget tray that could be used without the second level providing a flat platform for Velcro to mount a Joystick style controller .. or even the original DJI controller.

There are a number on ebay .. model shop sites such as Hobby King etc. There is no need to spend a lot on these .. a reasonable tray such as above is about $10 ...

That steadies the controller - the subject of functions available on a single stick is then the issue. Possibly the posts above illustrating the Joystick approach ... but I would suspect price will then be silly ?
2019-11-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules