Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Action video/audio quality
3565 27 2019-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tactical Trvlr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 255407 ft
  • >>>
United States

I made this entire short video using the Osmo Action in manual mode with dewarp turned on. I used the cinelike picture profile and only did a slight color correction.

I was actually impressed with the performance of this camera, especially the on board microphone in this very noisy environment.

Once the microphone adapter is released this may become my primary vlogging camera for this type of vlog.

[media=x,760,570]Whoa there partner! Don’t scroll on without clicking on this video. Don’t be the one who misses out on the latest fashion trend sweeping across Walt Disney World this summer.   [/media]
2019-7-26
Use props
Tactical Trvlr
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

https://youtu.be/UtuoYAGPP_c
2019-7-26
Use props
Tactical Trvlr
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Osmo Action Video/Audio Quality

I made this entire video using the Osmo Action in manual mode with dewarp turned on. I used the cinelike picture profile and only did a slight color correction.

I was actually impressed with the performance of this camera, especially the on board microphone in this very noisy environment.

Once the audio adapter is released this may become my primary camera for this type of video.

2019-7-26
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing!
2019-7-26
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

2019-7-26
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for sharing this awesome footage that you had captured using your DJI Osmo Action. Thank you for your continued support. Cheers!
2019-7-26
Use props
Tactical Trvlr
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 7-26 13:30

Thank you very much . Sorry for the double post. Don’t know how that happened. Either way, the point of this post was to show the Osmo Action is a viable option for someone who’s thinking of trying this camera for their YouTube channel.
2019-7-26
Use props
Tactical Trvlr
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 7-26 13:42
Hi, thanks for sharing this awesome footage that you had captured using your DJI Osmo Action. Thank you for your continued support. Cheers!

Thank you. Now just get that audio adapter released ASAP!
2019-7-26
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Tactical Trvlr Posted at 7-26 15:14
Thank you very much . Sorry for the double post. Don’t know how that happened. Either way, the point of this post was to show the Osmo Action is a viable option for someone who’s thinking of trying this camera for their YouTube channel.

You would get more interest in the Action forum - this is the Pocket forum.
2019-7-26
Use props
Tactical Trvlr
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 7-26 15:35
You would get more interest in the Action forum - this is the Pocket forum.

I tried to post to that forum. I had a bunch of trouble with this post for some reason. It wouldn’t give me the Osmo Action forum as an option.

I tried to delete the post and post it later but it was stuck here.
2019-7-26
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done
2019-7-26
Use props
Tactical Trvlr
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 7-26 17:53
Nicely done

Thank you very much
2019-7-26
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're welcome.
2019-7-26
Use props
fans49c1baf6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2015627 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tactical Trvlr Posted at 7-26 18:17
Thank you very much

Very amusing and quite well done. What were your settings? Is that 4K 60 P down sampled for YouTube? Or did you shoot at a different resolution or frame rate?
2019-7-26
Use props
Tactical Trvlr
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans49c1baf6 Posted at 7-26 22:22
Very amusing and quite well done. What were your settings? Is that 4K 60 P down sampled for YouTube? Or did you shoot at a different resolution or frame rate?
Thank you. I actually shot in 1080p 24fps and upscale to 4K 24fps in FCPX. The slow motion shot in the sombrero was shot in 1080p 120fps.
2019-7-27
Use props
maddox
First Officer
Malaysia

Tactical Trvlr Posted at 7-26 12:55
I made this entire video using the Osmo Action in manual mode with dewarp turned on. I used the cinelike picture profile and only did a slight color correction.

I was actually impressed with the performance of this camera, especially the on board microphone in this very noisy environment.

Cool! Nice to see, thanks for sharing
2019-7-27
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tactical Trvlr Posted at 7-26 15:14

Yes, the Osmo Action is an excellent choice for YouTube, as well as the Osmo Pocket and Osmo Mobile 2.
2019-7-27
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Tactical Trvlr Posted at 7-26 15:15
Thank you. Now just get that audio adapter released ASAP!

You're welcome, Sir. In regards to the audio adapter, we don't have the information regarding the future accessories of the DJI Osmo Action. Please stay tuned to the latest news and events by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media platforms below. Thank you and have a great day!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI

Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations
2019-7-27
Use props
fans49c1baf6
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Tactical Trvlr Posted at 7-27 03:27
Thank you. I actually shot in 1080p 24fps and upscale to 4K 24fps in FCPX. The slow motion shot in the sombrero was shot in 1080p 120fps.

Thank you for that information. Did you have a manual shutter speed set, or was it all on automatic? If you did have a manual shutter speed did you use a neutral density filter? The reason I’m asking is because I like the look of the video. The content was quite amusing as well.
2019-7-27
Use props
fans49c1baf6
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Tactical Trvlr Posted at 7-27 03:27

Thank you for that information. Did you have a manual shutter speed set, or was it all on automatic? If you did have a manual shutter speed did you use a neutral density filter? The reason I’m asking is because I like the look of the video. The content was quite amusing as well.
2019-7-27
Use props
Tactical Trvlr
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans49c1baf6 Posted at 7-27 12:18
Thank you for that information. Did you have a manual shutter speed set, or was it all on automatic? If you did have a manual shutter speed did you use a neutral density filter? The reason I’m asking is because I like the look of the video. The content was quite amusing as well.

Great question! I have found the Osmo Action works better for me and my style of videos in automatic mode. When I use ND filters and set a constant shutter speed the stabilization does not work as well. I have noticed a lot of jitters in the background when manually setting the shutter speed.

I've decided to just use this camera in auto with the cinelike profile and just take what it gives me. I did some color correcting to this video in post production but I did not use any LUT.  In my opinion the whole point of this camera is to keep it simple, if I want to fuss with a bunch of settings I'll use my larger camera where I can get better results with those settings.

Thanks again. Glad you found the video amusing. I was just having fun and testing the Osmo Action.
2019-7-29
Use props
fans49c1baf6
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Tactical Trvlr Posted at 7-29 09:00
Great question! I have found the Osmo Action works better for me and my style of videos in automatic mode. When I use ND filters and set a constant shutter speed the stabilization does not work as well. I have noticed a lot of jitters in the background when manually setting the shutter speed.

I've decided to just use this camera in auto with the cinelike profile and just take what it gives me. I did some color correcting to this video in post production but I did not use any LUT.  In my opinion the whole point of this camera is to keep it simple, if I want to fuss with a bunch of settings I'll use my larger camera where I can get better results with those settings.

Thanks for all of that.

I really like the "soap opera" 4K 60P look, however, since I saw your video, I've been doing a little experimentation with 4K 24P, avoiding it in the past due to what I perceive as a "jittery" sort of look.

However, I notice that when you have the frame filled with someone's head...you know, like yours when you were wearing the hats, and moving around, that the "film" like look at 24P was pleasing to the eye, and the "judder" or "jittering" much less noticeable even while you were panning and walking, the backgrounds not overpowering the subject, if you will, and looked more like a "movie" than say...a live television feed, which is what you get with 60 fps.

I'm like you, in not wanting to do anything really in post, save for join the files if you go over the 4GB limit, so, we're on the same page there, but I'm so lazy I don't even want to do a simple grading. I just leave it on automatic color.

Anyway, thanks so much for the information. I liked the content, but I'm always intrigued by the process.

Thanks.
2019-7-29
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Tactical Trvlr Posted at 7-29 09:00

Alot of good points there.  You mention ND filters - and you may have hit the nail on the head with the rocksteady issue - its more the camera doesn't like manual setting of shutter speed rather than the action of placing an ND filter on. So probably manually setting the shutter speed with no filter may exhibit a similar effect.

Nice amusing video and you seem to have extracted really good quality using your settings and a bit of grading.
2019-7-29
Use props
Tactical Trvlr
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

MKosmo Posted at 7-29 11:52
Alot of good points there.  You mention ND filters - and you may have hit the nail on the head with the rocksteady issue - its more the camera doesn't like manual setting of shutter speed rather than the action of placing an ND filter on. So probably manually setting the shutter speed with no filter may exhibit a similar effect.

Nice amusing video and you seem to have extracted really good quality using your settings and a bit of grading.

I agree, it probably has little to do with the ND filter and everything about manually controlling the shutter. I may experiment with auto settings while using the ND filter and see how that works.

Thank you for the compliment. I am learning more and more with each video I make.
2019-7-29
Use props
Tactical Trvlr
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans49c1baf6 Posted at 7-29 11:32
Thanks for all of that.

I really like the "soap opera" 4K 60P look, however, since I saw your video, I've been doing a little experimentation with 4K 24P, avoiding it in the past due to what I perceive as a "jittery" sort of look.

Thanks again. I am also very interested in the process. It's actually the main reason I started my YouTube channel. I just really enjoy making videos and everything that goes into it. Especially the post production stuff.
2019-7-29
Use props
NodOff
lvl.1

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 7-27 12:05
You're welcome, Sir. In regards to the audio adapter, we don't have the information regarding the future accessories of the DJI Osmo Action. Please stay tuned to the latest news and events by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media platforms below. Thank you and have a great day!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI

DJI Gamora, if we can't get an adapter, then 3rd party adapters absolutely HAVE to be allowed to work with the camera. It's is utterly useless for road/course/track shooting without the ability to hookup external microphones, and I'm surprised it ever shipped without this functionality built in or sold day 1.
2019-7-31
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Nice video, thanks for sharing.
2019-8-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

NodOff Posted at 7-31 14:24
DJI Gamora, if we can't get an adapter, then 3rd party adapters absolutely HAVE to be allowed to work with the camera. It's is utterly useless for road/course/track shooting without the ability to hookup external microphones, and I'm surprised it ever shipped without this functionality built in or sold day 1.

Thank you for the additional information. We will forward this concern to our designated department for attention. Thank you for your kind and understanding.
2019-8-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules