Ronin-SC Base plate Design
9841 6 2019-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kinematic Digit
lvl.2
Canada

Just discovered to my joy that the Ronin-SC base plate is arca-swiss compatible. With that, I'll be keeping it on my camera all the time since most of my clamps are arca-swiss clamps.

I would like to make some suggestions. I wish you had made the lens support end have three screw positions. This way you could use the rail support on it but also so you can add an additional plate (in fact the riser), that is also a dovetail bar against that longer base plate to turn it into an L-bracket. With the rising popularity of social media videos for Stories, I'm making more and more content in Vertical format as a result.

Lastly, I also find it odd that you didn't use D-Ring type 1/4 20 screws. First it's tool-less and secondly, much easier to loosen and turn the plate to line up with the camera base plate for easier storage.

Maybe a third party person will make it for me one day
2019-7-26
Use props
Kinematic Digit
lvl.2
Canada

This is strictly a mock-up of what I'm thinking... but also occurred to me that the clamp on the SC is not the right direction. But be nice to be able to quickly convert this to an L-Bracket.

IMG_8473.jpg
2019-7-26
Use props
AVsupport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 618734 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I wish there would be one day a Manfrotto 501 compatible mount option for the SC, even if this was a paid accessory.

I come from the RoninS, and all my other mounts are Manfrotto: Tripod, monopod,...
So this is really a big issue since you can't successfully 'downconvert' on the gimbal itself,, using another screw-on mount and baseplate makes a camera like the A7iii in a cage too high, making it impossible to balance whilst having enough clearance for full movement
2019-7-26
Use props
Kinematic Digit
lvl.2
Canada

AVsupport Posted at 7-26 15:36
I wish there would be one day a Manfrotto 501 compatible mount option for the SC, even if this was a paid accessory.

I come from the RoninS, and all my other mounts are Manfrotto: Tripod, monopod,...

Yeah I have a couple of those as well. I think being that they were downsizing everything, it probably was the more popular mount/choice for the SC. But I see where you’re coming from, looking at a couple of the Manfrotto 501 plates, I really don’t know what I’ll do with it at the moment.
2019-7-26
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
United States

There's more accessories coming.

As for the D-ring, we did try but it just wasn't tight enough. It's fine for a stationary tripod but with a gimbal and swinging around in sport mode, the possibility of the camera coming loose happens too often.
2019-7-26
Use props
Kinematic Digit
lvl.2
Canada

DJI-Paul Posted at 7-26 22:53
There's more accessories coming.

As for the D-ring, we did try but it just wasn't tight enough. It's fine for a stationary tripod but with a gimbal and swinging around in sport mode, the possibility of the camera coming loose happens too often.
Thanks for the update.

Meanwhile I made my own modified accessory. I replaced mine with a d-ring as well but slotted so I can tighten it for the gimble when necessary. I keep a quarter in the case so it’s easy to tighten when needed. Now my camera is ready for photography and video without a lot of plate changes. Just need to take the L plate off and it’s ready for the Ronin.
2B6B4A0E-548A-476B-8E9E-CBCE70C60352.jpeg
image.jpg
2019-7-27
Use props
QuadcopterGuide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 828904 ft
  • >>>

Kinematic Digit Posted at 7-27 10:07
Thanks for the update.

Meanwhile I made my own modified accessory. I replaced mine with a d-ring as well but slotted so I can tighten it for the gimble when necessary. I keep a quarter in the case so it’s easy to tighten when needed. Now my camera is ready for photography and video without a lot of plate changes. Just need to take the L plate off and it’s ready for the Ronin.

came across this thread while on yet another "perfect quickrelease system" search.. Drives me nuts..
Glad to see the SC has arca compatible plate.

Kinematic Digit: How does your cam sit in the ronin, as the plate to me looks like its 90degrees to the wrong direction. Mine is parallel to the lens direction. Can you share how your's sits?

thanks!
2019-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules