Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Which mini mic do you use and why?
2605 4 2019-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_Tbd7Asbcdg9B
lvl.1

Canada

Hi all,
I've been searching for a mini mic to use with my OP. I've heard of Rode videomicro, Movo VXR10, Saramonic SR-XM1, and Boya by-mm1

Which one do you recommand? Mainly used to vlog. Which would be best to reduce wind noise? Wind noise seems pretty strong with the OP internal mic

Will be visiting Taiwan & HK soon. Any locals know if it will be cheaper to buy it there? Thanks in advance!
2019-7-27
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi. thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best recommendations from our valued DJI co-pilots. Thank you for your continued support!
2019-7-27
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

Reducing wind noise is about protection, not necessarily which mic you use. Finding a good combination of foam filter and/or fur muff is much more important. The wind is basically a low frequency, high-pressure wave that needs dissipating via disruption and redistributing to either a lower inaudible frequency or physically blocking. The second option would be to have a mic with a very limited low-frequency response but that may not be a very satisfactory solution. Also, don't forget handling noise which is a separate issue requiring the use of an isolation mount. For vlogging, I would use a lapel mic which would be easier to protect against the wind and closer to the required sound source. The drawback would be not capturing the surrounding ambient sound as much. Look at the Audio Technica website which has many useful tips for reducing such interference. As with all things, there is no one solution that fits all scenarios well but rather a lot of alternative solutions with varying degrees of success from which to chose for a given situation based on previous experience.
From your selection above I have no experience of the Boya mic. You may find the Rhode Videomicro does not have a sufficiently loud output to power the audio adapter and the Samaronic SR-XM1 will work but will not give maximum output at normal recording levels (It's around -6dBm short at normal voice levels of around one meter from the Mic) and will need additional wind protection, although on the plus side it has an adequate built-in isolation mount.
2019-7-27
Use props
TheCameraGuy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 7-27 14:28
Reducing wind noise is about protection, not necessarily which mic you use. Finding a good combination of foam filter and/or fur muff is much more important. The wind is basically a low frequency, high-pressure wave that needs dissipating via disruption and redistributing to either a lower inaudible frequency or physically blocking. The second option would be to have a mic with a very limited low-frequency response but that may not be a very satisfactory solution. Also, don't forget handling noise which is a separate issue requiring the use of an isolation mount. For vlogging, I would use a lapel mic which would be easier to protect against the wind and closer to the required sound source. The drawback would be not capturing the surrounding ambient sound as much. Look at the Audio Technica website which has many useful tips for reducing such interference. As with all things, there is no one solution that fits all scenarios well but rather a lot of alternative solutions with varying degrees of success from which to chose for a given situation based on previous experience.
From your selection above I have no experience of the Boya mic. You may find the Rhode Videomicro does not have a sufficiently loud output to power the audio adapter and the Samaronic SR-XM1 will work but will not give maximum output at normal recording levels (It's around -6dBm short at normal voice levels of around one meter from the Mic) and will need additional wind protection, although on the plus side it has an adequate built-in isolation mount.

I’m confused Ray,

The mic - either the Go mic or a Lav, will be about 6 inches from his mouth as he attaches them to his clothing. The item that will be a meter away will be the receiver.

Regrettably, using the DJI extension rod means you can’t plug in a mic of any type because you are either using the wireless adapter, which means you can’t plug in the audio, or you are using the USB C cable to connect to your phone.

That was my plan when I ordered it.

I think people are expecting more than is possible with the OP. if you can use it as it comes out of the box or Audio is not important, you have a nice tool to capture video in many ways. Sure you can upgrade your audio, but you can’t use the extension rod and a mic.

DJI, you should be taking notes. Fix what you can in firmware/accessories and make version 2 better!
2019-7-29
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

TheCameraGuy Posted at 7-29 17:32
I’m confused Ray,

The mic - either the Go mic or a Lav, will be about 6 inches from his mouth as he attaches them to his clothing. The item that will be a meter away will be the receiver.

Hi.
My distance references were about sound levels expected at a given distance from a sound source (in this instance a normal volume for a human voice which I'll admit does vary from person to person) for the specific microphone mentioned. It has no bearing on the final positioning of the mic.

I do personally think when DJI designed the Osmo Pocket and even possibly even the Osmo Action they had specific uses in mind and didn't understand a video camera with these capabilities (as in video resolution and stability) would be so popular for more general use.

The thing is though are we to blame for not understanding what it is we bought or DJI's for underestimating its potential user base?

The list of things being griped about grows as time goes on. Some I think are genuine problems while others are customers not really understanding what they bought. Either for not realising the implications of the specs or the specs not being honestly depicted in the specifications with omissions in capabilities and lack of clear instruction of capability in use.

Also consumer expectation is based on phone or normal camera use where some of these problems don't exist.

So my conclusion is pretty much the same as your own and hope that DJI's future attempts redress current problems or produces a more general portable and capable gimbaled video camera with better audio interface and maybe a dedicated monitor which would free up phone compatibility issues.

I have recently come across more audio problems of which I will post about soon that I'm not sure if others have noticed yet.
2019-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules