Overheating problem even in 1080p60
4180 9 2019-7-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aakash.sky
lvl.1

Nepal

Am I the only one who is facing overheating problem during shooting even in 1080p?Is this good or worse. Guys in serious need of suggestion.
I am thinking of switching to GoPro 7 because of the over heating problem.
2019-7-28
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The devices do get cosy during operation, the Action seem to be designed with the front filter ring as a heat sink, along with the grill below the lens, so the fact they get hot means they are doing their job well. I measured the temperature of mine yesterday (one of these laser handheld thermometers), and working at 4k 60fps and Rocksteady on it was sitting at 50C at some points on the front filter ring and casing (ambient air temperature was about 25C). There is even a warning in the manual saying they get hot and you should not touch some parts, so situation normal.
Although it generates most heat when processor running under maximum load, it will still generate a significant amount at 1080P.
I believe the Action has its own thermal monitoring, and will give warnings if it's getting too hot, with some getting warnings to switch off display (to reduce heat generated) when it's getting cosy.
Most devices with high performance processors will have the same challenges for the engineers, I know my 4k dashcam gets very hot at times. So any competitors devices will suffer from the same issues, perhaps even to a worse extent when reading through their forums.
2019-7-29
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

I think you will find gopro 7 black cameras also have their share of heat issues.
All cameras should do thermal shutdown if too hot.
Many are fitting a RC motor heatsink to their DR900S dashcam
2019-7-29
Use props
aakash.sky
lvl.1

Nepal

yeah i just see the heat resistance comparison video and go pro 7 sucks in that too.
I only want to know if heating is okay.
Another confusion I am having is either it will get cool down by wind or not while doing motovlogging?
2019-7-29
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

aakash.sky Posted at 7-29 06:30
yeah i just see the heat resistance comparison video and go pro 7 sucks in that too.
I only want to know if heating is okay.
Another confusion I am having is either it will get cool down by wind or not while doing motovlogging?

"Another confusion I am having is either it will get cool down by wind or not while doing motovlogging? "

If it's outside the vehicle then that will most certainly keep it cooler.

I've not had any problems at all on my pedal bike averaging about 13 mph recording 4k 60fps, RS & Dewarp on, recording a full battery, which gave me about 62 minutes or so.
2019-7-29
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

Wind rushing over the camera body should mean it would get cooled better than heat just rising off the warm body.
Just like cooling a computer the faster the fan on you heat sink spin the better it also cool.

The OA can get mighty hot, some even said too hot to handle, so that is a thing to look out for if you are thin skinned. But the camera should shut down automatic before it get destructive hot, so nothing to worry about.
And i dont think it have to be a storm forced wind to keep the camera cool enough for it to not shut down due to heat, but if you place it on a tripod in the sun on the beach on a day with little wind, then i would not expect to be able to record 1 hour strait or until it run out of power.
On the other hand if you put the camera on a selfie pole and run down the beach i think the wind force generated by you running will be enough to ensure it can record a full battery in one go.

Personally i just record short clips here and there and normally under 5 minutes long, so the camera dont heat as fast and have time to cool.
2019-7-29
Use props
aakash.sky
lvl.1

Nepal

Thanks guys. That was great advice.
2019-7-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day sky. Thank you for the inquiry. The amount of video file data generated in one minute can reach 700 MB. It is inevitable that the camera emits heat when dealing with such a large amount of data in a short time. So it is normal that the device emits heat. However, the DJI Osmo Action pays special attention to this problem. The internal heat dissipation area, such as the heat sink and the lens cover removes heat from the device to ensure the normal operation of the camera, and it is repeatedly tested that the temperature is within a reasonable range. In addition I will be posting a link where in you can check the DJI user manual for the DJI Osmo Pocket ( https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... anual_v1.0_en_7.pdf ). Thank you for your support.

2019-7-29
Use props
djiuser_LtG3bl3dtyXc
New

India

My DJI OSMO Action Camera gets heated up while shooting on 1080P 30s. And automatically shuts down after a while. Better to change to GOPro
2021-7-26
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

spend $400.00 or spend for a better card, suggest the card
2021-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules