Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
The Use of an UAV to Investigate the Behavior of Humpback Whales
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha,

FYI:

Insights into the use of an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) to investigate the behavior of humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae) in Vava'u, Kingdom of Tonga.

Fiori L, Martinez E, Bader MK-F, Orams MB, Bollard B.

Abstract

Vertical take‐off  and landing (VTOL) unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) are becoming invaluable data collection platforms for cetacean research.  In particular, multi‐rotors  can be used to measure whales and investigate their behavior.  Moreover, VTOL UAVs are increasingly accessible for recreational and commercial pilots, and close encounters with whales are widely documented.  Unfortunately, quantitative assessments of potential  disturbance for the targeted animals are not yet published and guidelines for responsible use of UAVs around cetaceans are still under development.  We conducted VTOL UAV surveys on humpback whales in Vava'u, Kingdom of Tonga.  Interestingly, whale behaviors  such as socializing and nurturing were not detected by trained observers on board the research vessel, but were evident from the UAV.  Nevertheless, no significant differences were detected in diving and swim parameters between absence and presence of UAV  flying at 30 m altitude.  These results suggest that VTOL UAVs can be a noninvasive tool to gather morphometric and behavioral data on baleen whales.  However, further research is necessary to establish whether applications that require flight altitudes lower  than 30 m and targeting different species may elicit behavioral responses.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-7-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Cetacean. Thank you for sharing this wonderful information and your valued insights with regards to this topic. Great work. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2019-7-29
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-29 08:07
Hello and good day Cetacean. Thank you for sharing this wonderful information and your valued insights with regards to this topic. Great work. Have a safe and a happy flying always.

Aloha Stephen,

Mahalo!  DJI drones are everywhere doing all kinds of interesting things.  I hope this is educational for those using drones to film whales and dolphins.  30 meters / 100 feet can get you good footage and still not disturb the whales and dolphins.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-7-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Cetacean Posted at 7-29 18:02
Aloha Stephen,

Mahalo!  DJI drones are everywhere doing all kinds of interesting things.  I hope this is educational for those using drones to film whales and dolphins.  30 meters / 100 feet can get you good footage and still not disturb the whales and dolphins.

Hi Cetacean. It is great to know that DJI drones can be use in many helpful and positive ways. I also do hope that our valued DJI co pilot would do the same. Please stay safe always and keep on flying.
2019-7-30
Use props
xboxmoddr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 660039 ft

that would be some great footage atb
2019-7-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I Wish you Ken, would post more of your scenic vids... :-)

Thanks for this post.

RedHotPoker
2019-7-30
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 7-30 13:35
I Wish you Ken, would post more of your scenic vids... :-)

Thanks for this post.

Aloha RHP,

Mahalo for the request, but they do not have music with them.  All the Hawai'ian Music is copyrighted.  Sorry.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-7-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 7-30 15:34
Aloha RHP,

Mahalo for the request, but they do not have music with them.  All the Hawai'ian Music is copyrighted.  Sorry.

I think I can add my own accompaniment. . . Something of a reasonable facsimile. Haha

Actually, I’ve been listening to some old favourites tonight...

RedHotPoker
2019-7-30
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-30 08:18
Hi Cetacean. It is great to know that DJI drones can be use in many helpful and positive ways. I also do hope that our valued DJI co pilot would do the same. Please stay safe always and keep on flying.

Aloha Stephen,

Another drone article by Lorenzo Fiori et alia;

Ticiana Fettermann, Lorenzo Fiori, Martin Bader, Ashray Doshi, Dan Breen, Karen A. Stockin & Barbara Bollard

Behaviour reactions of bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) to multirotor Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs)

Abstract

Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) represent a novel and cost effective research tool to investigate cetacean behaviour, as conventional aircraft are expensive, limited in the altitude they can fly at and potentially disturb sensitive wildlife. In addition, the aerial observation from the UAVs allows assessment of cetacean behaviour from an advantageous perspective and can collect high spatial and temporal resolution data, providing the opportunity to gather accurate data about group size, age class and subsurface behaviour. However, concerns have been raised about the potential risks of disturbance to animals caused by the UAV’s visual and acoustic stimuli. Boat-based surveys were conducted to assess the short-term behavioural responses of resting bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) to a lightweight Vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) UAV flown at 10, 25, and 40 m altitude. Changes in group swim direction and frequencies of surface and aerial behavioural events were recorded from an anchored research vessel before (control) and during the aerial survey. The number of reorientation and tail slap events increased significantly between controls and flights when the UAV was flown at 10 m over the animals. In contrast, no significant differences were detected when the aircraft was flown at 25 and 40 m altitude. However, a precautionary approach is recommended for research applications requiring lower flight altitudes, with further research recommended to assess how different cetacean species and age class may respond to the UAV presence.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-8-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Ken,
You sure love your sea life. Praise.

I’m proud of you, and happy to know you.

RedHotPoker

2019-8-1
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 8-1 01:41
Ken,
You sure love your sea life. Praise.

Aloha RHP,

Happy to hear you enjoy it.  The use of drones really has opened up the study of cetaceans.  I wish I was a youngster in that respect.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-8-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 8-1 02:15
Aloha RHP,

Happy to hear you enjoy it.  The use of drones really has opened up the study of cetaceans.  I wish I was a youngster in that respect.

Ken, you know the ageless song lyrics written by Canadian band Steppenwolf?

“It’s never too late, to start all over again....”

RedHotPoker

2019-8-1
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 8-1 11:47
Ken, you know the ageless song lyrics written by Canadian band Steppenwolf?

“It’s never too late, to start all over again....”

Aloha RHP,

Yeah, and they wrote and sang that when they were in their 30s!  Sheesh!  I am still trying to finish what I started 40 years ago!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-8-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Cetacean Posted at 8-1 01:34
Aloha Stephen,

Another drone article by Lorenzo Fiori et alia;

Hello and good day Cetacean. Thank you for sharing these information with us and thank you for your support.
2019-8-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 8-2 00:39
Aloha RHP,

Yeah, and they wrote and sang that when they were in their 30s!  Sheesh!  I am still trying to finish what I started 40 years ago!

Yes, them were some of the good old days for us...

RedHotPoker
2019-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules