New Mavic Air laggy video on phone
1801 11 2019-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MagicRide
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

Used to have a Mavic Air which i lost in the ocean about a year ago. I was left with two batteries, RC, cables, and ND filters. I thought about selling it but was too lazy to do it. Saw a great deal on a brand new Mavic air on ebay (verified that it was new not refurbished during installation), and said what the heck let me buy it and use it on those ocations when my Mavic 2 pro and zoom are too bulky to carry around. I bound to the old controller, and got it going and then I started noticing a lot of video lag. There was video lag when it was close to me, and I can say I never had that problem with my old lost Mavic air. I'm using the same phone I used then which a Samsung note 8 which I also use for my M2P, and Mavic zoom. I put it in airplane mode as I always do, and still lag. Used new usb cables on the bottom and still video lag. The drone flies nicely and the distance is not too bad but the lag is there where close or not. I've also played around with the wifi setting using 2.4 and 5.8 manual settings and the problem continues. I'm thinking this could be a problem with this particular Mavic air, becuase my lost Mavic air did not have that problem. I know this is a problem that has been discussed before but has anybody come up with a fix besides sending it back to DJI? By the way I've alreay done IMU, gimbal calibrations, as well as reinstalled the firmware and there's no change. And the same lag occurs on Litchi app just as much.
2019-7-30
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience caused. Can you please verify if the video you are referring is only in the live feed? or this video file is from the SD card? Also, can you please send us a short video clip showing the problem for us to help you further. In addition, can you please try to sync all your flight records then uninstall and reinstall the DJI Go 4 app on your mobile device to see if the problem persists. Please keep us posted. Thank you for your kind and understanding. Cheers!
2019-7-30
Use props
MagicRide
lvl.4
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 7-30 08:35
Hi, thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience caused. Can you please verify if the video you are referring is only in the live feed? or this video file is from the SD card? Also, can you please send us a short video clip showing the problem for us to help you further. In addition, can you please try to sync all your flight records then uninstall and reinstall the DJI Go 4 app on your mobile device to see if the problem persists. Please keep us posted. Thank you for your kind and understanding. Cheers!

Hi Gamora

The video is only the live feed, the sd card recordings are excellent.
2019-7-30
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Have you updated the OS in the meantime? Can you try another device to see if the problem is isolated to your phone/tablet?
2019-7-30
Use props
MagicRide
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 7-30 12:42
Have you updated the OS in the meantime? Can you try another device to see if the problem is isolated to your phone/tablet?

Im thinking of trying my wife's Iphone and see what happens, but like I said I never have had problems with the Samsung note 8 on any of the other drones. Personally I think this is a problem with the drone's camera wifi transmission module. The drone takes beautiful video otherwise from the micro sd.
2019-7-30
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

MagicRide Posted at 7-30 12:31
Hi Gamora

The video is only the live feed, the sd card recordings are excellent.

Thank you for the additional information. Can you please sync all of your flight records then try to uninstall and reinstall the DJI Go 4 app to see if this will rectify the issue? Also, As per checking in my end, it shows that Samsung Note 8 is currently not listed on our recommended mobile device. Therefore, we cannot guarantee the stability of the said mobile device since it is not yet optimized with the DJI Mavic Air and for the DJI Go 4 App. I will highly recommend using the recommended mobile device listed below. Thank you for your kind and understanding. Cheers!

2019-7-30
Use props
MagicRide
lvl.4
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 7-30 13:08
Thank you for the additional information. Can you please sync all of your flight records then try to uninstall and reinstall the DJI Go 4 app to see if this will rectify the issue? Also, As per checking in my end, it shows that Samsung Note 8 is currently not listed on our recommended mobile device. Therefore, we cannot guarantee the stability of the said mobile device since it is not yet optimized with the DJI Mavic Air and for the DJI Go 4 App. I will highly recommend using the recommended mobile device listed below. Thank you for your kind and understanding. Cheers!

[view_image]

Hi Gamora

Look carefully at your list and you will see that the Samsung note 8 is listed there.
2019-7-30
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

MagicRide Posted at 7-30 14:12
Hi Gamora

Look carefully at your list and you will see that the Samsung note 8 is listed there.

Sorry for the oversight. Though you did not experience this problem with your Mavic Air before, this issue can really be a case to case basis and there may be less interference before. Still, did you try to fly in a different location? Your mobile device should work well when it comes DJI GO 4 app compatibility but it will also not hurt trying another device to isolate the issue. If the issue persists after trying another device, I will highly recommend you to contact our support team online to start up a ticket: https://www.dji.com/support and we do have the professional who will assess your drone and then the corresponding resolution will be provided. Please note that DJI will not provide a warranty repair for cases occurring after the expiry of the warranty period; otherwise, valid charges will apply. Thank you for your understanding!
2019-7-30
Use props
Ben Mason
lvl.4
Flight distance : 610614 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You should make sure the phones(or any nearby phones you have control over) bluetooth is switched off. You can also go into the settings of the DJI APP and check which WIFI your using 2.4/5.8. You can set this to custom and choose which band your on and which channel you use(it tells you which ones are crowded and which are free). You should make sure your in an area free from interference, flying from a street full of houses and WIFI signals is not the same as flying from an open and empty field. Finally you can make sure the drone/controller firmware is the latest, your DJI GO 4 app is the latest and that your phone is updated to the latest version of Android/IOS.

If none of the above resolves your issue or you find that the issue still occurs but only on 5.8 but 2.4 and the item is still in warranty then you should return it to DJI for repair.
P.S I know you have done, most of the above(Maybe even all), but posting this can help others with the same situation, also i didn't want to miss adding anything. Sounds like your controller is actually faulty.
2019-7-31
Use props
MagicRide
lvl.4
United States

Ben Mason Posted at 7-31 03:48
You should make sure the phones(or any nearby phones you have control over) bluetooth is switched off. You can also go into the settings of the DJI APP and check which WIFI your using 2.4/5.8. You can set this to custom and choose which band your on and which channel you use(it tells you which ones are crowded and which are free). You should make sure your in an area free from interference, flying from a street full of houses and WIFI signals is not the same as flying from an open and empty field. Finally you can make sure the drone/controller firmware is the latest, your DJI GO 4 app is the latest and that your phone is updated to the latest version of Android/IOS.

If none of the above resolves your issue or you find that the issue still occurs but only on 5.8 but 2.4 and the item is still in warranty then you should return it to DJI for repair.

Hi Ben thank you for the advise, and yes I have done all of this, and basically I've been flying around my neighborhood for years, and my original lost Mavic air had a very nice smooth transmission when compared to this new drone. This new Mavic air gets me about 2500 ft distance (I used to get 4000 ft with my other Air in this same spot without a hitch) but it's a tough flight because of the breakup and lagginess of the video on my phone. I tried my mini Apple ipad which is dedicated to drone flying only and although the image quality is slightly better it's nowhere what it was before. When I walk around my house with my drone i'm still getting image breakup and skipping frames. Even when I wave my hand over the drone camera there's a delay.  I don't believe that it's the controller, I believe it's the drone. One thing I have to say is that the video quality of this drone from the micro sd card is absolutely stunning, and compares with my zoom in every aspect. I've tried changing channels manually and there's not that much difference. Next will be changing to better cables, but I don't believe that will make much of a difference. I personally believe that some of these units have less than perfect wifi transmission modules, and that's DJI poor quality control.
2019-7-31
Use props
Ben Mason
lvl.4
Flight distance : 610614 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MagicRide Posted at 7-31 07:07
Hi Ben thank you for the advise, and yes I have done all of this, and basically I've been flying around my neighborhood for years, and my original lost Mavic air had a very nice smooth transmission when compared to this new drone. This new Mavic air gets me about 2500 ft distance (I used to get 4000 ft with my other Air in this same spot without a hitch) but it's a tough flight because of the breakup and lagginess of the video on my phone. I tried my mini Apple ipad which is dedicated to drone flying only and although the image quality is slightly better it's nowhere what it was before. When I walk around my house with my drone i'm still getting image breakup and skipping frames. Even when I wave my hand over the drone camera there's a delay.  I don't believe that it's the controller, I believe it's the drone. One thing I have to say is that the video quality of this drone from the micro sd card is absolutely stunning, and compares with my zoom in every aspect. I've tried changing channels manually and there's not that much difference. Next will be changing to better cables, but I don't believe that will make much of a difference. I personally believe that some of these units have less than perfect wifi transmission modules, and that's DJI poor quality control.

Hi,

Do you have another controller to try it with ? Your original post makes it sound like you bought the new Mavic Air but it didn't come with a controller, if it was truly new/unused it would have been not activated.
If not you'll probably be better off sending off both the drone and controller to DJI to avoid an delays with the warranty(assuming the item is still in warranty). If you don't have a receipt you can post the serial number of the drone and the activation date can be checked from this to see if it's inside 1 year. Either way @DJISupport should be able to help you.
2019-8-5
Use props
MagicRide
lvl.4
United States

Ben Mason Posted at 8-5 03:52
Hi,

Do you have another controller to try it with ? Your original post makes it sound like you bought the new Mavic Air but it didn't come with a controller, if it was truly new/unused it would have been not activated.

Hi Ben
Thanks for the help but I  bought this Mavic air unit by itself because I had the controller and two batteries from my previous Mavic air. The controller is used but in great shape physically, and I had no problem at all binding it to this new unit.
I found the problem and it has to do with the frequency, I cannot use 2.4, it has to be 5.8 and then I get a decent transmission. The auto mode on this drone does not work very well in comparison to my old Mavic air, I just have to set the frequency manually to 5.8 and everything is ok.
2019-8-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules