Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Max Comfortable Distance
2056 19 2019-7-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
unhommelibre
First Officer
Flight distance : 109268 ft
United States

What is the maximum distance you are comfortable with flying your Mavic? I just received my M2P last night and have not flown it yet (still setting it up). I'm not the time of person who will make risky flights, I tend to fly pretty conservatively with my drones and keep them pretty nearby. Let me know how far your willing to push it before kind of panicing and hitting that RTH.

Thanks.
2019-7-31
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out and welcome to DJI Forum. Hope that you could get the best recommendation from our valued DJI co-pilots here in Forum. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have any inquiries. Thank you!
2019-7-31
Use props
Flycaster
Captain
United States

You just got your cameraship. Take it slow, read the manual.
Put a copy by the bed, and maybe "The Reading Room"
Look at the vids that pertain to your Mavic. Even the Mavic Gen I vids are still pretty much applicable. Oh, and read the manual.
Keep it close, and as your skills/confidence grows, so will you distance. Just keep and eye on your signal indicators, (explained in the manual).
Always check your compass and IMU sensors after you have taken off and hovering for a minute or so, giving you time to check your compass(s) readings, and IMU state. (It's in the manual).
ANY hiccup in compass calibration (You need to do it once upon initial power up/flight.) only do it if asked by the app afterwards, it's in the manual) means there is something affecting the compasses, and if it's wonky on start up, when they do grab, you may be surprised by erratic flight behavour.
Before any flight, always have an escape route/secondary landing spot. Always take a good look at your environment.
Distance? It will come with confidence, and flight hrs.
Oh yeah, have fun!!!
2019-7-31
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

When you start getting constant signal break ups, that should be the limit.  Some areas you can do 1300m+ easy, some 400m.
2019-7-31
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

It does not matter the model: As long the feed it stable and the battery over 50% ....? ;-)
2019-7-31
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

500m if flying near anything living otherwise a couple of miles.
2019-7-31
Use props
Wellsi
Captain
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Welcome to the M2P club
I would actually keep it around  200 ft high (safely above trees and houses) and not go much further than 600-800 ft away from you at first.  It's very easy to lose track of where it is and that's when it can al go wrong.

Ian

Maybe have a watch of this complete set up guide for the M2Pro:

And then maybe watch the 15 most common ways to crash it (so you don't!)

2019-7-31
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 7-31 21:58
500m if flying near anything living otherwise a couple of miles.

I think it's stupid to fly more than 1000m if not needed.  You can just drive there and take-off.
2019-8-1
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would rate myself as a fairly experienced quad pilot.  With either the Mavic Pro or Mavic 2 (both stock) your "comfortable" flight envelope extends out 3-4 miles.   This will vary depending on winds & your personal pucker factor.  These flight distances are easily within the stamina of a fully-charged battery with plenty of power to spare.  

*Always be mindful of wind direction.  If you are going to fly far, always begin your mission heading into the wind.  That way you'll have the wind at your back when returning & a nice cushion to the flight computer's remaining battery estimate.

My Mavic 2 has better RC range & battery stamina than my Mavic Pro, but they are similar.  My maximum manually controlled Mavic 2 flight was 5.3 miles out at maximum distance.  FPV & RC were perfect & only the battery made me turn back.  Below are "fun flights" from my front yard with both birds.  Max distance from home in these flights is about 3.3 miles.  FPV & RC contact was solid throughout the flight for each, & both aircraft returned with plenty of battery to spare.

Mavic 2 Pro flight:

Mavic Pro flight:

2019-8-1
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 8-1 00:04
I think it's stupid to fly more than 1000m if not needed.  You can just drive there and take-off.

VLOS is the law here not exceeding 500m but when over baron land I think many will push their drones even if only to test the range once to twice during their ownership of the quad. I rarely exceed a mile but the drones are more than capable of reaching beyond 8,000m in FCC areas these days.
2019-8-1
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 8-1 01:23
VLOS is the law here not exceeding 500m but when over baron land I think many will push their drones even if only to test the range once to twice during their ownership of the quad. I rarely exceed a mile but the drones are more than capable of reaching beyond 8,000m in FCC areas these days.

You can pull off 8,000M if you have no interference frequencies in between and the signal is bouncing off something reflective like the ocean.  I got 1700m+ w/ the Spark before it lost signal.  Around the coastline beach, 600-700m.  Around the houses, 300m.  If my back is facing it, 150m.  I stood in the same spot and used airplane mode.
2019-8-1
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 8-1 01:44
You can pull off 8,000M if you have no interference frequencies in between and the signal is bouncing off something reflective like the ocean.  I got 1700m+ w/ the Spark before it lost signal.  Around the coastline beach, 600-700m.  Around the houses, 300m.  If my back is facing it, 150m.  I stood in the same spot and used airplane mode.

Line of sight between the RC and AC is vital and obviously being near built up areas and electromagnetism will interfere with the signal. The Spark is the most susceptible to signal loss due to using a basic WiFi transmission system whereas the M2's can reach obscene distances - Dustin Dunhill did a vid on YT showing his M2P reaching 6.09 miles without signal loss before turning around of his own accord - thats 32,155 feet or 9,800 metres away from his position! If the battery had more power he could have easily passed 10KM! He also returned and landed safely as his orignal take off point so covered 12.18 miles on one battery... Though he did land on 0%!
2019-8-1
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For those in the UK probably best to fly VLOS (Aircraft fully in sight so you can avoid obstacles ), otherwise risk prosecution:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-46236522

I believe similar ruling applies in most countries.

2019-8-1
Use props
unhommelibre
First Officer
Flight distance : 109268 ft
United States

Wellsi Posted at 7-31 23:00
Welcome to the M2P club
I would actually keep it around  200 ft high (safely above trees and houses) and not go much further than 600-800 ft away from you at first.  It's very easy to lose track of where it is and that's when it can al go wrong.

Thanks Ian.
I've watched several of your videos. They've been very helpful so far.
2019-8-1
Use props
Flycaster
Captain
United States

Again, keep it close, just watch the signal meters on the top of the app...Keep the controller ant. pointed toward the drone.
If you do start getting diminished signal (down to 1 or 2 bars) or connection issues/errors, the first thing you do is give upstick to try to gain alltitude (hopefully getting more signal if blocked by trees etc.) and fly it back until situation is corrected, or dealt with.
2019-8-1
Use props
Neo Supreme
First Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

Since I'm in a big/major city, I don't fly too far.  I'm just salivating to go to a more open/rural area to let loose.  It is easy to lose VLOS though.  Plus always be wary of wind speeds and if you're in an area with predatory birds.
2019-8-6
Use props
RandyHat
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Neo Supreme Posted at 8-6 08:03
Since I'm in a big/major city, I don't fly too far.  I'm just salivating to go to a more open/rural area to let loose.  It is easy to lose VLOS though.  Plus always be wary of wind speeds and if you're in an area with predatory birds.

There is a fascination among new drone owners about how far will it fly.  In the US the FAA requires you always keep your drone in sight. This becomes difficult as these tiny flying machines can often be hard to see even at relatively short distances and low altitudes.  However, when operating in my neighborhood and when doing commercial work I try to always keep it within line of sight. If I do lose sight of it I can usually locate it first by sound then can usually get a visual fix.   Having said that, I have taken my MP2 to our family ranch where there is a lot of open space and no neighbors and flown well beyond line of sight.  The max distance was probably about 4 miles.  But even at that distance I had a strong signal and felt I could have gone another half mile or so....but not sure.  Go you Youtube, there are many "distance tests". As others have pointed out, beware of the wind direction.
2019-8-8
Use props
JPilotR
First Officer
Flight distance : 584662 ft
  • >>>
United States

You long distance rangers are braver than I am, especially with the form factor of the M2P being so flat and compact making it hard to track direction in flight, even with the nav lights. I think the longest I have flown was still within VLOS, but over a treeless landscape was about 1 mile. My Airdata UAV logbook descriptor for my "farthest home distance" is left of the median range, so "close to home".
2019-8-8
Use props
Neo Supreme
First Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

RandyHat Posted at 8-8 11:36
There is a fascination among new drone owners about how far will it fly.  In the US the FAA requires you always keep your drone in sight. This becomes difficult as these tiny flying machines can often be hard to see even at relatively short distances and low altitudes.  However, when operating in my neighborhood and when doing commercial work I try to always keep it within line of sight. If I do lose sight of it I can usually locate it first by sound then can usually get a visual fix.   Having said that, I have taken my MP2 to our family ranch where there is a lot of open space and no neighbors and flown well beyond line of sight.  The max distance was probably about 4 miles.  But even at that distance I had a strong signal and felt I could have gone another half mile or so....but not sure.  Go you Youtube, there are many "distance tests". As others have pointed out, beware of the wind direction.

Yeah, some places don't have any major forms of radio interference, whether from man made sources or even unknown/unseen natural sources.   The less elevated obstructions (trees, buildings, towers, etc) the better for uninhibited radio communications between your controller and drone.  We still haven't really wrapped our heads totally around radio (radiation) waves.
2019-8-9
Use props
rbtmckny
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8001404 ft
Philippines

If I'm just flying around I usually keep it to 500 to 700 meters out. Sometimes more. I have flown my Mavic Pro 1.5 Kilometers away and my Mavic 2 Zoom I have flown a little over 2 Kilometers away. I do get nervous, so I don't do that often. It's good to know that if I want to fly that far, the Drone has done it before with no problems. .
2019-8-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules