Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Leeds Castle Kent. 500 years celebration parade.
711 17 2019-7-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

When will I learn?
I went to have lunch on Sunday at Leeds Castle only to find they had an event on. I had my Osmo Pocket on me but no peripherals.
So the following video is just using the pocket. No Phone, no external mic or filters and as we turned up around lunchtime and had lunch first I also didn't get much videoing done either.
So I've tweaked the sound a little but left the video without any colour grading. Never mind, I have other projects in the pipeline.

2019-7-31
Use props
Roger1167
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1510728 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great Watch. Clarity is great.  Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong?  My video's are not as great as this video of yours.  I also upload by youtube.  Can you please explain what I'm doing wrong?
2019-7-31
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Awesome footage Ray! Thanks for sharing.
2019-7-31
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Roger1167 Posted at 7-31 14:46
Great Watch. Clarity is great.  Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong?  My video's are not as great as this video of yours.  I also upload by youtube.  Can you please explain what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

YouTube can get fussy about whether it will recode something or not. It's taken me some time experimenting to find settings that YouTube doesn't compress as much when I upload my videos.

A lot will depend on how you render your final videos. I have an aging PC with an i5 intel processor and standard HD monitors so I'm stuck with recording at 1080p at present. So it comes down to codecs used and compression ratios. I normally use a HEVC264 codec and set highest bit rate I can with more than one pass so my settings were as follows.
Average bit rate 11000
Maximum bit rate 13000
CPB (kByte)             1600
Max GOP length         60
GOP Structure   IBBBP
Profile MAIN
Level 6
Coding Quality   Best  
Audio 48000
Bit rate 192
No interleaving
Streamable.

I'm still playing around with settings but that is the best I've found I can do to date.
What is possible will depend a lot on the software used and at present, I'm still on Win7 using Magix Movie Edit Pro which seems to be on a semi-permanent special offer if you wait for a couple of weeks.
The problem with playing around with codec settings is it's easy to make things worse than better so I do it in small increments and compare results. Then take notes on the last working setting. It's a work in progress. I may find a better solution yet. I tried using all I frames but it ends up producing a blank video on my system. Altering bit rates has to be done with care and you have to find the correct ratio when you alter one to get the second ratio correct to work. I've had a lot more failures than successes but people only get to see the successful ones.
You can try my settings but I can't guarantee the results.
Best of luck.
[EDIT] Actually, your video looked fine to me.
2019-7-31
Use props
Roger1167
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1510728 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the info Ray. I can tell it's not easy.
2019-7-31
Use props
nilsonleow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136680 ft
Ukraine

Cool video!
2019-8-1
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Roger1167 Posted at 7-31 16:21
Thanks for the info Ray. I can tell it's not easy.

Hi Roger.
I made a mistake in the settings I gave.
'Level' should be the lowest figure your software will allow. For me, that's 4.1.
The GOP structure should have fewer B frames in it. There is normally a list to choose from so try something with IPP... or similar.
'Level', is the number of times a frame is looked at and on each pass, the software will soften and take away some of the edge detail, so the lower that number, the better. Only useful to try to reduce noisy video footage but there are better ways to do that.
The Average bit rate and Maximum bit rate are linked in some kind of ratio I can't quite figure out but if you increase one by say, a third, then the other one also has to be increased by the same percentage or you may end up with at best, odd distortions or blank video output.

Be warned though that beyond a certain size from the original size , increasing bit rate produces really large files with little improvement on quality.  

Coding Quality as high as it will go (For me that setting is labled 'Best') but the setting below that one (Better) is not far behind. 'Auto' can also work quite well and will reduce both rendering times and final file size. Interleaving is really for making files for DVD or BluRay use so that setting should set to Progressive. The GOP structure is three ways of producing a frame. In theory the I frames are direct copies if the bit rates of the coding match the original file. The problem is any editing that is not a straight cut may result in blank sections of video being produced. P frames are predictive. That means frames before the frame is looked at by the software and when fast action occurs or there are large portions of the frame that contain little detail, the software will reduce the file size of that frame by producing a frame with less detail around those areas to reduce overall file size. B frames look both forwards and backwards, and do the most compression of a frame so the less of those the better but having none can sometimes upset the sound synchronization.
Like I said, I'm still trying to find the numbers that seem to work best for me. If I ever get a definitive setting I'll put it up on the forum for others to try out.
I'm sure there are better ways and David Harry swears by using all 'I' frames but my system or software can't cope and mainly when I try that all I get is a blank video with a soundtrack.
I'm sorry if this is confusing more than helping but I'm almost as much in the dark as anyone else as to what to do for the best. Really I suspect a better, more powerful PC with better software would probably be the best answer but I'm limited on budget.

If when the file is rendered, use the program 'MediaInfo' to look at the video specs. It's a fee download. Go to any video file and right click it. Choose 'MediaInfo' from the list and you should get a program open up with the details of your video. Click the 'Tree View' button on the top tool bar. Look for the 'Format/Info' which should be something like High Efficiency Video Encoding and not read something like Blu-ray Video. Then you know the encoding is not recompressing by too much to retain most detail. That It seems is also read by YouTube and appears to me at least to have an effect on the final rendering on upload.

2019-8-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Great job Ray always enjoy your videos, and it shows just what we got the pocket for .
2019-8-1
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Thanks Nilson.
2019-8-1
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 7-31 15:33
Awesome footage Ray! Thanks for sharing.

I think I'm at least 9 points away from awesome but thanks anyway
2019-8-1
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 8-1 09:57
Great job Ray always enjoy your videos, and it shows just what we got the pocket for .

Hi Hallmark.

Sometimes I love and hate the Osmo Pocket in equal measure.
When I get back from something like this with what looks like 72 short unusable clips I'm left wondering how to turn it into something watchable that may make some sort of sense.
I love the portability and lack of attention it gets. I hate that to get better takes I have to rely on extra items that take time to set up as it takes away the spontaneity but kick myself each time I don't make the effort.
I like it weighs next to nothing and yet if I'm serious about the video I'm taking, my peripherals now need a small camera to keep them with me.
I love the lack of size but already I've lost my Osmo supplied charging lead and dread losing a recorded on memory card, or a filter or most of all, the audio adaptor. Drop one of those into long grass and it's gone.
I would love to record in 4K but don't have the means to edit or even view the output on my external equipment yet.

So while I do enjoy using this device, my frustration at times is equal to the pleasure I get from using the Osmo Pocket.
2019-8-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 8-1 11:24
I think I'm at least 9 points away from awesome but thanks anyway

You are always welcome Ray.
2019-8-1
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great video
2019-8-1
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Nice video Ray, thanks for sharing with us :-)
2019-8-2
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

looks very fun. Thanks for sharing.
2019-8-2
Use props
nilsonleow
lvl.4