Tips for external audio, due to dumb proprietary audio adapter rqrmt
1118 6 2019-7-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NodOff
lvl.1

United States

After messing around with my Action for the last month or so, I realized, after buying all of the equiptment to run it on track, that I can't actually use an external mic, which completely kills the camera for me. I had, unfortunately, assumed that I could use any USB-C to 3.5mm adpater, and enjoy using my new found camera. Now, I must either return it for something else, or find some other method for recording audio on track/road courses, without having to suffer the wind noise from the internal mics. (I'm assuming this is going to require me to record audio on a completely seperate device, and then attempt to sync it to camera afterward)
What is everyone else doing to by pass this terrible design? Surely there are some folks out there who are using the Action, that have found a relatively pain-free method to doing this, for better audio quality with external mics.
2019-7-31
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

I've seen some fuzzy or furry balls that stick over the mics and really do remove wind noise in the videos I've seen.

Supposedly dji is working on releasing an adapter for the external hookup
2019-8-1
Use props
NodOff
lvl.1

United States

ff22 Posted at 8-1 08:48
I've seen some fuzzy or furry balls that stick over the mics and really do remove wind noise in the videos I've seen.

Supposedly dji is working on releasing an adapter for the external hookup

Yeah, pretty much everyone who's running decent setups on their cars, are using wind socks on external mics, otherwise the audio quality without them is very bad, especially at high speeds.

I've read that, but it seems like it's anyone's guess as to when that will happen, and if the Pocket's adapter is any indication, they will likely not have enough of them to go around, before we have to endure weeks of them being out of stock.
2019-8-1
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

I recommend people run quiet cars, really that south park episode on Harley riders on loud bikes i wholehearted support.

Sort of related i have for a while asked for dashcams to have a option for a outside microphone, as it seem like many Americans ( not least ) seem to be very worried about evil cops violating their civil rights and what not.
So a outside MIC would be nice though most dashcam can fine record what a cop say at your door with the window down.

PS. If i won the lottery i might very well buy a 120 Db car ( factory loudness ) but then as i like to be different and really mean that, i would gladly give up 100 BHP to have that 120 Db car be a 70 Db car.
I would never - ever make a car louder, that just dont sit well with me, at least since i crossed into manhood at the age of 20 some 33 years ago.
2019-8-1
Use props
NodOff
lvl.1

United States

Took the camera out today to record a sample of what I'm dealing with, and why I'm so annoyed about this proprietary adapter BS.

Keep in mind, this is at only 25-40mph....

I really don't want to hop on the GoPro team, but at this point, if I can't find a relatively pain free work around, IDK what else to do.
2019-8-1
Use props
fans209c5273
lvl.2
United States

I mean, is it really that hard to run an external for audio temporarily?  I do that now until the external mic adapter releases (which I've heard is going to be soon)

Even with a windsock or cattail, riding with a car you're going to have wind because you have a whole lot of wind going on there.
2019-8-1
Use props
NodOff
lvl.1

United States

fans209c5273 Posted at 8-1 19:41
I mean, is it really that hard to run an external for audio temporarily?  I do that now until the external mic adapter releases (which I've heard is going to be soon)

Even with a windsock or cattail, riding with a car you're going to have wind because you have a whole lot of wind going on there.

It's a lot of extra steps, yes....And that means that I'm going to have to buy and setup a standalone audio recording device (another $100+), then screw around with syncing up the audio and video at a later date on my PC...

Completely disagree with the last statement, as an external mic allows for placement... Which means you can get it out of the wind. ;)
2019-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules