3124 9 2019-7-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Beau
lvl.2
Flight distance : 345092 ft
  • >>>
United States

My DJI Mavic air will take in imagery of dark or bright green colors and render them grey to the card.
Settings: 4K 24, D-Cinelike, 0 on sharpness, -2 on conrast, 0 on saturation, manual WB to Cloudy or Sunny per enviroment, ISO at minimum 100.

2 pictures are attached for reference, and...

Here is a video link to see the clips:

First shot has a background a horizon of Alder and cottonwood short trees, green in the heart of an Alaksan Summer. Second shot has a background of evergreen trees, which are always green in real life.

You will notice that the evergreen trees have turned a grey color, the same as the fireman's turnout jacket oddly, which is grey in real life.

What the heck.

Green missing sunny

Green missing sunny

Green missing cloudy

Green missing cloudy
2019-7-31
Use props
Vofas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 200853 ft
Russia

Was the white balance set to AUTO? I recommend always to put on the SUN, and if necessary, do the color correction on the post-processing. Wasn’t it scary to fly next to metal structures?
2019-7-31
Use props
Beau
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Vofas Posted at 7-31 23:16
Was the white balance set to AUTO? I recommend always to put on the SUN, and if necessary, do the color correction on the post-processing. Wasn’t it scary to fly next to metal structures?

No, I wrote above the WB was set to Sunny or Cloudy per environment. I turned up saturation and green channels to over 300% in post and there is no green color data at all in the trees. 100% GREY.
2019-8-1
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

your in D-cinelike and low ISO while under exposed. D-cinelike is not processed very much designed for color grading in post not an out of the camera ready to go color profile. plus it is under exposed by 1 to 1.5 stops i think so with low ISO and under exposure and flat color profile its going to struggle on such a small sensor without post processing  and color grading.  

try it in normal color profile, and auto shutter, ISO, etc and 0/0/0 for sharpness, saturation and contrast.   and see if it fixes itself or is closer what you expect..

if you dont want to color grade, select "normal" color profile and go from there.  
2019-8-1
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 8-1 18:28
your in D-cinelike and low ISO while under exposed. D-cinelike is not processed very much designed for color grading in post not an out of the camera ready to go color profile. plus it is under exposed by 1 to 1.5 stops i think so with low ISO and under exposure and flat color profile its going to struggle on such a small sensor without post processing  and color grading.  

Actually, on the Mavic Pro at least, the Normal profile boosts green -- for a neutral profile, choose True Color.
2019-8-2
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 8-2 04:53
Actually, on the Mavic Pro at least, the Normal profile boosts green -- for a neutral profile, choose True Color.

ya,  mavic pro has a different image processing pipeline though..   but he mentioning the mavic air and shooting in d-cinelike which is fairly flat.   mavic air only has normal and d-cinelike.
2019-8-2
Use props
Alex1976
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556867 ft
Italy

It's a well known problem of the mavic air. It is called "color eating problem". There is a thread on this forum where it is better explained.....

https://forum.dji.com/thread-149265-1-1.html
2019-8-3
Use props
Beau
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 8-1 18:28
your in D-cinelike and low ISO while under exposed. D-cinelike is not processed very much designed for color grading in post not an out of the camera ready to go color profile. plus it is under exposed by 1 to 1.5 stops i think so with low ISO and under exposure and flat color profile its going to struggle on such a small sensor without post processing  and color grading.  

I actually have tried it in regular rec 709 mode or whatever the non d-cine mode is. It still takes out the greens. I also went out and over exposed yesterday and the greens were still mostly gone.

As for post color correction, I've taken the shots shown above and cranked them all the way to infinity and there is 0 green data in there, it's crazy.
2019-8-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Beau Posted at 8-6 07:11
I actually have tried it in regular rec 709 mode or whatever the non d-cine mode is. It still takes out the greens. I also went out and over exposed yesterday and the greens were still mostly gone.

As for post color correction, I've taken the shots shown above and cranked them all the way to infinity and there is 0 green data in there, it's crazy.

my mavic air over saturated greens and reds in "normal" color profile on the drone... and d-cinelike was dull and grey and looked like lost some color data but i could somewhat recover with davinci resolve color grading.
2019-8-6
Use props
djiuser_K16G1KRvA674
New
Flight distance : 111673 ft
Chile

the same problem here, only in raw it manages to capture all the colors. I think it happens only in some copies, I had the opportunity to record with another air and the problem is not so exaggerated or simply is not.
2020-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules