Action in car footage
1798 13 2019-8-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Steve203
New
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I can't find any footage of a DJI action used to shoot in car footage, suction or headrest mount. As the FOV is less than a GoPro is it as suitable? Looking to buy and almost decided on the action but just worried it wont be quite wide enough.
2019-8-1
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

https://forum.dji.com/thread-191780-1-1.html
2019-8-1
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have a nextbase 612 dashcam its FOV is 150 degrees which is wider than many (a good number are 140 degrees). The Osmo Action has 145 degree FOV so should be well suited. A couple of things to consider might be overheating (position beside air vent ? ) and the fact that the OA will not overwrite files when memory card full, which is what most dedicated dashcams do.
2019-8-1
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

The osmo action are not a dashcam.
FOV are suitable if it was a dashcam, FOV are a bit wide if use for journey log so some dashboard will be in frame, and thats not cool.

PS i think i had rocksteady on here, which should not really be needed with a sturdy mount.

2019-8-1
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

Dashcam makers tend to be creative with the stated FOV, or at best put up diagonal FOV for the largest number possible.

In actual measurements 130 - 140 degrees will be just fine, but i do myself run a "Zoom" dashcam too with a 12 mm lens letting me read plates way outside the distance you can do that with normal dashcams, but this are of course traded off with a much smaller FOV so you cant run a "zoom" camera alone.

This compare my "zoom" camera to regular camera, middle 50% of images ( height ) no crop at the sides.

I think if you want to log a journey with a OA camera, you better have the aircon at full blast if you have it on the windscreen, and then film 4K but crop in to 1440p in post so you dont have any part of your car in the footage.
The user american roads on youtube do nice journey videos,,,, using a camcorder.
2019-8-1
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

It depends, do you want to use it as a dash cam or film a journey ?

Ref FOV Sometimes you may want the interior in the shot for context or so you can see the instruments etc.... with RS on, you obviously loose some of the fov so you need to be a bit more creative of exact camera placement.

I found the stabilisation excellent for car journeys , and also use a circular polarised filter which does help cut down on dashboard reflections.  I havnt done long filming with it though, so as others have said you need to be aware of heat.

2019-8-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're sure that our valued DJI Forum members would provide their best recommendation that you may need. Thank you for your support.
2019-8-1
Use props
Steve203
New
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks guys but I don’t want to use it as a dashcam I want to shoot footage of me driving the car.

Have had some great footage from a GoPro with the wide angle it provides but it is not as great on the Action and I was concerned it may not be suitable.

Any footage or even a still photo from a DJI Action mounted on a window or headrest mount within the car would be appreciated, thanks.
2019-8-1
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

I can try and hold my OA in places of my car, though i must warn you i drive a small car, not micro but small.
But i cant see this to be a issue.
Will try and simulate camera placement
1: lower Right corner of windscreen aimed at driver seat.
2: headrest ( codriver ) aimed a little towards driver side + dashboard / windscreen.

Anything else you like me to try for you ?

PS. I have no mounting gear, so all i can offer are stationary footage.

2019-8-1
Use props
Steve203
New
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Absolutely any shot would be better than what i have found so far. I just want to make sure I can get a good view of the driver and dash and windscreen.

I tend to mount on the opposite window from the driver or mounted slightly to the rear from the headrest but any photo would give me some idea. Thanks.
2019-8-1
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

NP. i will have a rummage around my little red car later on 8 in the evening in Denmark now.

I have my phone mounted off a small fixed glass on the front of the driver side door, nice and handy though i of course dont use the phone while driving not even hands free, and thats no problem for me to say as i only get / make like 2 calls every week, so its only like 1-2 times a year my phone ring while i am driving.
2019-8-1
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

Here you go Steve, hope this can help you make up your mind.

2019-8-1
Use props
Steve203
New
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Really appreciate the time and effort for you to do that. It’s a great help, many thanks ! Steve.
2019-8-1
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

NP. Glad  to be able to help you make a informed decision on what path to take.
2019-8-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules