Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
LAANC App installed on Smart Controller?
2752 9 2019-8-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Marleyman
lvl.3
United States

Has anyone downloaded one of the available LAANC Apps like Kittyhawk, Airmap or Skyward onto their Smart Controller?

Can you share which one you chose, why you chose it, and how it's been working for you so far?

Many thanks!

2019-8-1
Use props
Marty Markoe
Captain
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Airmap and Kittyhawk are installed on the Smartphone. I get LAANC authorization on the phone.

I setup my Smartphone as a WiFi hotspot. SC connects to the hotspot. I've used this to do updates in the field. It would be nice if someone knew how to use the connection to use Kittyhawk?
2019-8-1
Use props
Marleyman
lvl.3
United States

Marty Markoe Posted at 8-1 04:39
Airmap and Kittyhawk are installed on the Smartphone. I get LAANC authorization on the phone.

I setup my Smartphone as a WiFi hotspot. SC connects to the hotspot. I've used this to do updates in the field. It would be nice if someone knew how to use the connection to use Kittyhawk?

Right but I'm specifically asking about the Smart Controller not phones. Thanks
2019-8-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out. Yes. You can download third-party apps through the built-in browser or install APK files from a microSD card. However, DJI will not be liable for any permission or safety issues resulting from the use of third-party apps. If an installed third-party app prevents you from enjoying optimal use of your controller, we suggest you remove the app or restore the controller to the original factory settings. Also, hope that you could get the best recommendation from our valued DJI members here in Forum. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have any inquiries or concern. Thank you for your continued support!
2019-8-1
Use props
River One
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7691722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Will Google Play store ever be on the smart controller.. ?? this APK alternative sucks!!!! get with it DJI!!!
2019-8-3
Use props
LMuliolis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2087779 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2019-8-1 08:55
Hi, thank you for reaching out. Yes. You can download third-party apps through the built-in browser or install APK files from a microSD card. However, DJI will not be liable for any permission or safety issues resulting from the use of third-party apps. If an installed third-party app prevents you from enjoying optimal use of your controller, we suggest you remove the app or restore the controller to the original factory settings. Also, hope that you could get the best recommendation from our valued DJI members here in Forum. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have any inquiries or concern. Thank you for your continued support!

What does DJI recommend to use on a Smart Controller to access LAANC?
2020-8-1
Use props
The Saint
Captain
Flight distance : 5575873 ft
  • >>>
United States

help me understand the need for getting laanc on the smc?  is it purely for convenience only?
2020-8-1
Use props
LMuliolis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2087779 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2019-8-1 08:55

I have an assignment in a Class C airport that uses LAANC and I have a Smart Controller.   If I get LAANC authorization on my cell phone, how does my Smart Controller know that I am allowed to fly?
2021-3-10
Use props
Gulfstream
First Officer
Flight distance : 98996 ft
  • >>>
United States

LMuliolis Posted at 3-10 08:07
I have an assignment in a Class C airport that uses LAANC and I have a Smart Controller.   If I get LAANC authorization on my cell phone, how does my Smart Controller know that I am allowed to fly?

The Go App will ask you to confirm that you have permission to fly, Check the box... Also go to FlySafe and self unlock if you can. If the area requires Custom Unlock, simply send a PDF copy of your clearance when you apply for DJI Unlock. If you are in a Blue Area you will need to setup your cell as a hotspot, and point the SC to that as your data connectivity, so that you can unlock once you reach the site.
2021-3-10
Use props
JEZ2
First Officer
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

LMuliolis Posted at 3-10 08:07
I have an assignment in a Class C airport that uses LAANC and I have a Smart Controller.   If I get LAANC authorization on my cell phone, how does my Smart Controller know that I am allowed to fly?

LAANC gives you legal authority to fly.  Your drone and controller know nothing about that.  The DJI apps unlock your drone for flying.  Sometimes with a checkbox, sometimes with a more rigorous process (depending upon were you are trying to fly).

It's not hard to install KittyHawk or AirMap on the smart controller, but it might just be easier doing that from the phone, so you don't have to deal with updates, hotspot from your phone, etc...
2021-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules