Frame rate flicker and rolling shutter
1865 6 2019-8-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drew18
lvl.1
Flight distance : 385643 ft
United States

I have watched numerous videos now with very good quality from the Osmo Pocket. Mine is not giving me the the kind of performance that I think it should be. I am not sure if it is a problem with my unit or that issues with rolling shutter are very bad during panning. I think that a video is probably worth a number of words so I will post a link. Here is what I can tell you about the equipment I am using.

Computer - Intel i7 7800x 3.5 ghz 60 gb SD ram GPU RTX GeForce 2080Ti 12 gb soilid state hard drive low latency 4k LG HDR monitor
-- it shouldn't be my computer

SD Cards - SanDisk Ultra 64 gb, I've tried a number of different cards in my possession
-- it shouldn't be these SD cards

iPhone with Mimo App. Up to date app and firmware.

Video playback on, windows media player, VLC player, 5KPlayer and I've put it in both Divinci Resolve and Filmora Wondershare and both the mp3 files directly from the car and the outputs from the video editing software give me the same yield.

I have used settings of various ISO attempting to use the lowest iso goal of 100 and I never use above 400 because of graininess
Frame Rate to Shutter Speeds
25 FPS = 1/50
50 FPS = 1/10
Etc.

The problem is more pronounced with the lower frames per second settings but is still apparent at higher frame rates. It is most noticible with pans when there are foreground objects and almost looks as if the object is julting forward and back in a staggering way during the pan.
I used a quicker pan to make sure I demonstrated the problem adequately but while watching the lens/gimble it appeared to be moving smoothly and keeping up. It did not matter whether the gimble was in slow or fast mode.

I have tried it both with and without filters. The filters are high quality PolarPro filters.  

https://youtu.be/fHlxWq4CzaM
Youtube Video of Example

2019-8-2
Use props
Drew18
lvl.1
United States

Correction. Shutter should say 1/100 not 10. It’s 2:1 I get the rule.
2019-8-2
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

If you step through frame by frame, each frame is pin sharp despite the motion.  I don't see any "rolling shutter" effect, which would be expected (for instance) to vertically distort the fence/balcony posts in the video.  I suspect the actual shutter speed is much higher than you think, which means there is no motion blur, and the eye perceives the video as a series of snapshots, not a smooth transition from one frame to the next.  Perhaps try taking the same kind of footage with the camera set to fully automatic with no filter, and then see whether the changes you are making manually improve on the automatic settings or not.
2019-8-2
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

Although youtube does a great job of slaughtering the video, I really could not see any evidence of rolling shutter in your sample. Rolling shutter during a pan or track creates obvious artifacts easily visible upon frame pause, especially on vertical objects (in form of broken or slanted vertical lines). I see none of that here.

What I also could not see was the motion blur that is supposed to be present at a pan of this speed. To my eye the objects look way sharper then they should be in this kind of motion, as if the video was taken at a much higher shutter speed.

Are you sure you could reach down to the 1/50th of a second? I think the problem is just high shutter speed jitter...
2019-8-2
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

And, the Pocket does hunt focus when panning quickly.
2019-8-2
Use props
Drew18
lvl.1
United States

Interesting. Its raining at the moment so I wont be able to try anything but for that particular shot I used an ND8 Filter with an ISO of 100 to get me 1/50 at 25 FPS in manual mode and double checked it to be sure. I almost want to try a test shot at shutter speed 1/25 with 25 FPS knowing it will give me jello just to see if I get exaggerated motion blur. Obviously that would not be sound setting technique but it would demonstrate that the osmo is giving the shutter speed it says that it is.

The effect I'm noticing on my computer screen is toned down quite a bit in the youtube file, likely because its compressed so the sharpness is less pronounced.
2019-8-3
Use props
Drew18
lvl.1
United States

Also, I did the firmware update a few hours prior to this and wonder if somehow that is exaggerating what I am seeing. I have no idea how to roll back a firmware update and wonder if that has anything to do with it. I also recalibrated the gimble but that had no effect.
2019-8-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules