iPhone X
1692 12 2019-8-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans8ad208e2
lvl.1
United States

I flew my Mavic Pro Platimum for the first time yesterday, and I discovered that the iPhone X isn't compatible with the Mavic Pro Remote Controller. When I removed the iPhone X from the controller clamps, I noticed that the screen was bent. I.e., the edge of the screen now portrudes about an eigth of an inch from the rest of the device. I can press the edge of the screen back into place, but then the opposite edge just pops-up.
Luckily, my cell phone plan includes insurance against damage or malfunction. Since I was the one that caused the damage, I had to pay two hundred dollars for a replacement (it would have been one thousand dollars without insurance).

Aside from that issue, when using the iPhone X, I had difficulty using the DJI GO 4 app - because the screen on iPhone X goes all the way to the top and bottom edges of the phone. That means part of the screen is covered by the clamps (older smart phones don't have this problem).

When I placed my order for my Mavic Pro Platinum, I naturally assumed that my iPhone would be compatible with the Mavic Pro Remote Controller. It seems like a serious oversight that I can't use the flagship iPhone from October, 2017 (almost three years old) with a brand new DJI Mavic Pro Remote Controller. This means you'd also experience this problem with the newest iPhones (XS and SR).

DJI - Would you be willing to accept some responsibility, and help me recover my costs?

In the least, I suggest that you update your documentation by adding a warning about this problem.
2019-8-2
Use props
raven swe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 517936 ft
Sweden

our 2 iPhones X,s had the swollen battery problem and bowed the screen up because we both used wireless charging and they roasted the battery's. mine was used with my zoom and air, my partners was not, lots of people have iPhone X,s with swollen battery problem. the controller would not bow the screen, never had a problem with using mine with the drones, the problem started when we started using wireless charging.
2019-8-2
Use props
Optimus_Prime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

raven swe Posted at 8-2 23:39
our 2 iPhones X,s had the swollen battery problem and bowed the screen up because we both used wireless charging and they roasted the battery's. mine was used with my zoom and air, my partners was not, lots of people have iPhone X,s with swollen battery problem. the controller would not bow the screen, never had a problem with using mine with the drones, the problem started when we started using wireless charging.

You're right, more convenient, more troubles happening. I have to stop using wireless charging as my phone heat up alot. Charging through cable seems fine. I use Galaxy note 9. For DJI products, I have to buy used 32GB iPhone 7 plus just for them. It seems iPhone get the most supported from DJI
2019-8-3
Use props
James 0522
lvl.4
Flight distance : 191493 ft
United States

I've been using my iPhone XS Max for my M2Z for the past 5 months and I haven't had a problem. With the larger screen it is hard to swipe up to open, and I have to use the pass code to get in but this is not a problem.
I charge my phone with the lightning cable and have never had a problem with heat.
2019-8-3
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i have a nearly 2 year old iPhone X, i used it for flying in mavic controllers, wireless charging, fast charging on 18-25 watt chargers car charging my iPhone is fine, 93% health i average 6-8 hours of screen on time, sometimes upwards for 9+ hours is im more gentle with usage and brightness.    but im not very gentle handler of my iPhone, if you saw my iPhone X you probably be upset with amount of scuffs (scratching) on the screen from working around highly abrasive material and pitting on metal frame from dropping it on pavement.. however my iPhone X isnt bent or bloated and i never had an issue with mavic controller denying it either on my mavic air or mavic pro or spark.. all seem to work flawlessly...

but one thing i have learned is NEVER USE KNOCK OFF IPHONE CHARGERS..  im not saying dont use 3rd party, thats primarily what i use is 3rd party, specifically Anker power cables and bricks..  but knock off chargers and really cheapy crappy ones usually sold at places like gas stations and in cheap accessory stores i say avoid like the plague..  those tend to have a lot of voltage fluctuations, and wide range of ripple and usually the cause of premature death of batteries or even sometimes kill the devices.    i have friends that use cheap knock off chargers and their iPhone batteries are suffering they lost a couple hours of screen on time and their iPhone's click off with power remaining.. they have iPhone 7's and 8's
2019-8-3
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

James 0522 Posted at 8-3 01:49
I've been using my iPhone XS Max for my M2Z for the past 5 months and I haven't had a problem. With the larger screen it is hard to swipe up to open, and I have to use the pass code to get in but this is not a problem.
I charge my phone with the lightning cable and have never had a problem with heat.

ya i dont know, i think its either some BS anti iPhone campaign or something..  i never had an issue with iPhones and DJI aircraft.    but saying iPhone X is bending in the controller is laughable, iPhone X is one of the most solid phones on the market in terms of structure.  
only time i have has issues was with bad cables, but after trying another cable out it was problem solved.. but that would happen on any and all devices over time, cables wear out with usage bending and flexing enough will eventually wear it out over time as copper work hardens and turns brittle.  even the best cables have a limit.      
2019-8-3
Use props
cjboorman
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the lesson. After researching this more, it seems that my battery just up and swelled up. It still worked properly though, and I could still charge it completely with my induction charger. It must have been a coincidence that the battery swelling happened when I used my iPhone X with the controller. Thanks everyone!
2019-8-3
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

cjboorman Posted at 8-3 17:30
Thanks for the lesson. After researching this more, it seems that my battery just up and swelled up. It still worked properly though, and I could still charge it completely with my induction charger. It must have been a coincidence that the battery swelling happened when I used my iPhone X with the controller. Thanks everyone!

I would demand refund since it sounds like a phone build problem and not your fault.
2019-8-5
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry to hear about your experience. I have used iPhone X and iPhone XS  Max with no issues on both Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 Pro. I guess you got a defective phone. See if Apple replaces it.
2019-8-5
Use props
cjboorman
lvl.1
United States

I discovered something interesting. I attempted to charge my new replacement iPhone X on my wireless charger, and it wouldn't charge. Now I suspect that my wireless charger died, and it fried the battery in my old iPhone X. So, I'm just going to charge my phone with a cable.
2019-8-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

cjboorman Posted at 8-6 17:45
I discovered something interesting. I attempted to charge my new replacement iPhone X on my wireless charger, and it wouldn't charge. Now I suspect that my wireless charger died, and it fried the battery in my old iPhone X. So, I'm just going to charge my phone with a cable.

i stopped using wireless charging personally because it was slower and hotter..  i use anker power cable + anker charger brick.. charges really fast and barely gets any warmer then normal charging that's included and nearly 2 yr old iPhone X without any battery issues (get 6-8 hours avg screen on time)
2019-8-6
Use props
djiuser_iVq1kJaDivVJ
New

United Kingdom

i have a question
2020-3-30
Use props
djiuser_iVq1kJaDivVJ
New

United Kingdom

What is the overall review of iphone x? is it better than iphone 7? what is the major difference? can i invest all of my savings buying this or should i need to try it first from the platform like any time tablet hire ?

kindly give me the suggestions and what will  be the consequences if i dont upgrade it?
2020-3-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules