Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
About flying over the ocean
1789 20 2019-8-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ocq
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1343258 ft
Costa Rica

Hello, I'm pretty new in this drone's world.

I have a Mavic Air and I want to go to beach to fly over ocean.

Could you give some advices about it, please.
2019-8-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Ocq. Welcome to DJI Forum and thank you for reaching. It is not recommended to fly the aircraft close to the water. When flying above the water, the vision positioning function will turn off automatically and only the GPS and barometer are used for positioning, if affected by the accuracy range, and an accident might happen. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2019-8-3
Use props
NitemareTrainer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11844 ft
United States

I live in Palos Verdes, CA and my house is across the street from the ocean.  I fly from my backyard over the ocean all the time and I have never had a problem.  I keep it at least 80-100 feet above the water and I have really enjoyed it.  
2019-8-3
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flying over the ocean is really no different than flying over land.  Be mindful of the battery status & wind direction.   You don't want to push it if the winds are blowing out towards the ocean.  Also wind speed over open water is often stronger than what you feel on land.
2019-8-3
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly over water all the time. No issues and sometimes fly as low as 2-3 ft above the water. Since you have no experience stay over 12 ft or more just to play it safe. Watch wind/gusts speeds, keep VLOS and keep an eye on the battery life.
2019-8-3
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

it is easy...  

dont fly to close to the water where its more likely to get confused with bottom sensors and always keep an eye on your drone and/or app because in the event something happens you want to be able to stop disaster.  

also with mavic air over water, i suggest not using sport mode unless you are 20+ feet up.. while it should not lose any altitude  making maneuvers i have seen mine sometimes dip a little bit when changing directions chasing stuff... and if too close to the water well.. ya get the idea..

TL;DR  aviod the big wet shiny wobbly thing...
2019-8-3
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

All good advise.
2019-8-3
Use props
Dakar Enduro
First Officer
Flight distance : 1451841 ft
Senegal

Sounds like you have limited flying experience?  Before attempting flights over the water where it is difficult to retrieve I suggest flying in an open field.  Find a football field or similar and get some flight experience.  Test out all the RTH scenarios.  Test flying away from you and toward you (controls reverse).  Etc.  Then move to more advanced flying like over water...
2019-8-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Flying over water is probably easier and safer than ever flying over land, yes if you crash it’s curtains but you should get much less interference almost no obstacles, so yes go for it once your comfortable with controls it’s not a problem.
2019-8-4
Use props
Ocq
lvl.3
Costa Rica

hallmark007 Posted at 8-4 02:48
Flying over water is probably easier and safer than ever flying over land, yes if you crash it’s curtains but you should get much less interference almost no obstacles, so yes go for it once your comfortable with controls it’s not a problem.

Thanks for your advice.
2019-8-4
Use props
Ocq
lvl.3
Costa Rica

hallmark007 Posted at 8-4 02:48
Flying over water is probably easier and safer than ever flying over land, yes if you crash it’s curtains but you should get much less interference almost no obstacles, so yes go for it once your comfortable with controls it’s not a problem.

Thanks for your advice.
2019-8-4
Use props
Ocq
lvl.3
Costa Rica

Dakar Enduro Posted at 8-3 23:17
Sounds like you have limited flying experience?  Before attempting flights over the water where it is difficult to retrieve I suggest flying in an open field.  Find a football field or similar and get some flight experience.  Test out all the RTH scenarios.  Test flying away from you and toward you (controls reverse).  Etc.  Then move to more advanced flying like over water...

Yeah, you're right. I had been flying in a field. Testing RTH, distance and altitude. So I coud try a little fly over the beach near the ocean.
2019-8-4
Use props
Ocq
lvl.3
Costa Rica

HereForTheBeer Posted at 8-3 16:00
it is easy...  

dont fly to close to the water where its more likely to get confused with bottom sensors and always keep an eye on your drone and/or app because in the event something happens you want to be able to stop disaster.  

Thanks for your advice.
2019-8-4
Use props
Ocq
lvl.3
Costa Rica

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-3 13:09
Flying over the ocean is really no different than flying over land.  Be mindful of the battery status & wind direction.   You don't want to push it if the winds are blowing out towards the ocean.  Also wind speed over open water is often stronger than what you feel on land.

Thanks for your advice. By the way, I saw your video chasing the cruise, super nice.
2019-8-4
Use props
Ocq
lvl.3
Costa Rica

HereForTheBeer Posted at 8-3 16:00
it is easy...  

dont fly to close to the water where its more likely to get confused with bottom sensors and always keep an eye on your drone and/or app because in the event something happens you want to be able to stop disaster.  

Thank you Captain.
2019-8-4
Use props
Ocq
lvl.3
Costa Rica

NitemareTrainer Posted at 8-3 09:21
I live in Palos Verdes, CA and my house is across the street from the ocean.  I fly from my backyard over the ocean all the time and I have never had a problem.  I keep it at least 80-100 feet above the water and I have really enjoyed it.

I can imagine, beautiful location you have. Thank you
2019-8-4
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ocq Posted at 8-4 08:09
Thanks for your advice.

no problem, hope you have fun!
2019-8-4
Use props
Vofas
Captain
Flight distance : 200853 ft
Russia

Another important tip: do not take off or fix the RTH point close to the coastline. At least do it about 50 meters away. The forum described repeated cases of the drone returning to water.
2019-8-4
Use props
*DM*
First Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

I always get an uneasy feeling flying out over water and avoid it if possible but sometimes you just have to.

Switch off sensors.
2019-8-4
Use props
KREMi
Captain
  • >>>
Poland

good gps fix
don't fly too low as sensor can go ... over water, also water splashes/water mist from salty water might be not best for drone
alway check wind strenght/direction and weather forecast, as they can change fast on beach, don't fly near max range with wind coming from land into sea, as auto-return might be 2 weak to go against wind
maybe some ND filters, as there should be plenty of light
start/land from hand - drones don't like sand
2019-8-4
Use props
Ocq
lvl.3
Costa Rica

Thanks to everyone. This is my first photo

2019-8-11
Use props
Advanced