Can the Osmo Acton be used like a trail cam?
3994 8 2019-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Coojeebear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 572484 ft
United Kingdom

We would like a camera which can be placed in our garden/yard to check for wildlife visitors at night. Is the Osmo Action able to do this?

2019-8-4
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

It would continuously record so you'd need a power source and a large sd-card.  I'm not sure about how many hours you could capture overnight on the card.  It can be powered by a usb cord with or without a battery so power would not be an issue although you'd want to protect the port from moisture/rain.  I am not sure but I think some of those cameras are set to be triggered by nearby movement so that they don't always record continuously.  It might be fun, though.
2019-8-4
Use props
Coojeebear
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks for your reply

I had wondered if the Osmo Action could be setup to record when movement is detected? But that woudl lneed some sort of sensor running all the time. So it looks not. Unless I could use some sort of time lapse which runs all night?
2019-8-4
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

The OA dont have motion detect, and its not really that light sensitive.
You would be better off getting a 1080P or maybe even a 4K security camera, i just noticed that Arlo now make a 4K model of their little cameras., there are of course also other brands.
But if you dont have any light, you will need a camera with IR aid, this mean the camera go into B&W mode at night, you can also get sensitive sensors that can remain in color mode, but you do need a little light for that.
2019-8-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're hoping that you could get the best recommendation that you may need in regards to this scenario. Unfortunately, the Osmo Action doesn't have the feature that would automatically record when there's a movement. We do appreciate your understanding.
2019-8-4
Use props
Coojeebear
lvl.4
United Kingdom

OK thanks.
2019-8-4
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Coojeebear Posted at 8-4 07:25
Thanks for your reply

I had wondered if the Osmo Action could be setup to record when movement is detected? But that woudl lneed some sort of sensor running all the time. So it looks not. Unless I could use some sort of time lapse which runs all night?

"Unless I could use some sort of time lapse which runs all night?"

That would be one option, or alternatively you can set it up to take still images continuously at intervals of between 0.5 of a second to 125 seconds between shots (the 'timed' photo mode), and these can be linked together in a video editor to create your own customised time lapse.
2019-8-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

You are very much welcome Coojeebear. Please stay safe always and keep on flying.
2019-8-4
Use props
TheAlexMartin10
New

India

I was looking for Trail Camera Posts. My Friend Asked about the trail camera too. I recommend the following post for You.

https://theblackfriday.deals/black-friday-trail-camera/
2019-11-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules