Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flight interruptions...
541 9 2019-8-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Konstant1n
lvl.4
Flight distance : 152736 ft
Georgia

Hi,

Several days ago i was preparing for take off my mavic from the bridge (bridge was built from iron). When i was ready for flight, suddenly the guards came to me and told that it is not safe to fly the drone here. Because there was some cases when the drones fell down. and bla bla bla..

so,
my question is next:

Does the Iron or steel materials somehow disturb the flight process of mavic?

I know its wierd question but anyway wanted to hear other answers from more experienced pilots..

Thanks in advance.

2019-8-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>
United States

Iron or steel can affect the compass but you'd know about that before take off.
2019-8-5
Use props
Gimpy
Second Officer
United States

Yes, it is true: ferrous metals (those that contain iron, which includes steel) can affect the compass and cause problems when you take off.
2019-8-5
Use props
Gimpy
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 8-5 00:31
Iron or steel can affect the compass but you'd know about that before take off.

You won't necessarily be notified before takeoff. Yes, sometimes you'll see the "Magnetic interference: Move aircraft or calibrate compass" message, but not always. At other times the only indication may be that the compass portion of the GO application indicates that what should be north really isn't, with the aircraft (arrow) shown pointing in a different direction from its actual direction.

The bottom line is that the magnetic interference message isn't a completely reliable indicator of the presence of interference.
2019-8-5
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

You probably saved your drone by not taking off.
2019-8-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

What can happen and has in many sad cases where drones have been crashed and lost.

The best way I can explain this is. If you put your Aircraft on the ground in normal circumstances, start it up, then lift it up and turn it 90 degrees to the right both your compass heading and IMU will both move together 90 degrees and no problems.
If you put your Aircraft on the ground and there is magnetic interference only the heading of your compass will change, your aircraft will still take off. But when it clears magnetic interference compass will then move to correct heading which you would think was great. But No, what happens is IMU is then conflicted and confused because of this sudden movement by compass, so you receive IMU exceptional heading warning, your aircraft cannot deal with data conflict so decides to switch to Atti mode dropping gps in favour of compass simply because aircraft can fly without gps but not compass.

I have seen many cases where people start their aircraft in or on their car in their house and then bring it outside so damage is already done and we will see exact same warnings and and reaction from aircraft.

We all should check our compass when we start our aircraft and maybe more of this could be avoided, you can do this by checking the compass values in your app also check small red triangle in the lower left corner of your telemetry, it should be on the same heading as your aircraft.
2019-8-5
Use props
Konstant1n
lvl.4
Georgia

Thank you for your informative responses bros.
It was very helpful..

Thanks again.
2019-8-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Konstant1n. Thank you for reaching out. Metal structures and powerlines can interfere with the internal IMU component and signals of your DJI drone and can lead to an unwanted incident. We recommend flying your drone on an open area where the GPS is good, no magnetic interference, to fly the drone and check if all the functions are working normally. Thank for your understanding and for your support.
2019-8-5
Use props
Konstant1n
lvl.4
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-5 08:00
Hello and good day Konstant1n. Thank you for reaching out. Metal structures and powerlines can interfere with the internal IMU component and signals of your DJI drone and can lead to an unwanted incident. We recommend flying your drone on an open area where the GPS is good, no magnetic interference, to fly the drone and check if all the functions are working normally. Thank for your understanding and for your support.

Thanks Stephen...
2019-8-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

You are very much welcome Konstant1n. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2019-8-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules