538 18 2019-8-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i have a feature suggestion ffor the mavic 2 series of drones: enabling side and top sensors for position mode when user is flying within speed that these sensors can operate at but disabling once the pilot/user passes beyond these speeds or if conditions are unfavorable.   basically similar to enabling "max" mode in actvetrack where if flying below a certain speed the mavic 2's side and top sensors are active but once it crosses above that certain speed those sensors turn off...but give us an option for it in position mode...
this doesnt have to be a default or mandatory setting, can be a toggleable setting in menus.
2019-8-5
Use props
Fre Mo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 803868 ft
France

That is done with tripod and sport modes...
2019-8-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It’s already there .
2019-8-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think beginner mode covers that in terms of speeds but capped to a 30m radius
2019-8-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 8-5 02:56
It’s already there .

what?  i didn't see that on my friend's mavic 2 pro in p-gps mode.  not referring to APAS mode.. i bring it up for 2 reasons .

1. common complaint i have heard where on front and rear sensors working in position mode but flanking sensors arent enabled and could save more people from crashing if it was enabled..

2. my friend is moreof an ameture pilot and its funny seeing pilots who are more afraid try to push their limits (even if you know and can see its not that hard from experience) and i could see if he has side sensors would be just that much less stress trying to thread the needle without having to drop into tripod mode..

what i am talking about is making all sensors (including flanking and top sensors) to be enabled in Position mode when its below a set speed, like 12.5 mph? .. but disables its flanking and top sensors over that speed, seamlessly...similar to activetrack "max" mode.  where it's still "safe" and all sensors around the drone are working to avoid crashing unless passes certain speed then turns off the sensors around it and only uses forward and reverse sensors.. the differance is doesn't need to dive around obstacles like active track or APAS but rather beep and stop if its if its flying sideways into something when its enabled in position mode and more seamless than stopping for a mode change..
2019-8-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day HereForTheBeer. Thank you for these information and for your insight with regards to this matter. I will forward these information that you have provided us today to our DJI designated department for further development of DJI. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news in our DJI official website at www.dji.com or by checking the Release Notes specific for your product. Thank you for your kind and understanding and for your valued support.
2019-8-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-5 09:31
Hello and good day HereForTheBeer. Thank you for these information and for your insight with regards to this matter. I will forward these information that you have provided us today to our DJI designated department for further development of DJI. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news in our DJI official website at www.dji.com or by checking the Release Notes specific for your product. Thank you for your kind and understanding and for your valued support.

thank you!
2019-8-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

You are very much welcome HereForTheBeer. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2019-8-5
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 8-5 08:09
what?  i didn't see that on my friend's mavic 2 pro in p-gps mode.  not referring to APAS mode.. i bring it up for 2 reasons .

1. common complaint i have heard where on front and rear sensors working in position mode but flanking sensors arent enabled and could save more people from crashing if it was enabled..

The top sensor works in all modes - it's just the side sensors that only work in beginner, tripod and any intelligent flight mode that yaws or rolls the drone.
2019-8-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 8-5 10:34
The top sensor works in all modes - it's just the side sensors that only work in beginner, tripod and any intelligent flight mode that yaws or rolls the drone.

i suspected top sensor was working but i didn't get to test it out since not my drone didnt wanna break any props incase it didn't stop it..  

i know in intelligent flight mode all sensors turn on as well as tripod but i feel like DJI could add a toggle in the menu and weirdly missed opportunity for them not to have enabled side sensors during normal flights when below safe threshold, and just turn the side sensors off seamlessly when go faster then the safe threshold.  so dont need toggle in and out of modes.  

also do you know if mavic 2 supports "narrow sensing"  function?  basically allows the drone to fly into tighter spaces than normal...  it maybe buried somewhere, but i know phantom 4 pro has it..
2019-8-5
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 8-5 10:50
i suspected top sensor was working but i didn't get to test it out since not my drone didnt wanna break any props incase it didn't stop it..  

i know in intelligent flight mode all sensors turn on as well as tripod but i feel like DJI could add a toggle in the menu and weirdly missed opportunity for them not to have enabled side sensors during normal flights when below safe threshold, and just turn the side sensors off seamlessly when go faster then the safe threshold.  so dont need toggle in and out of modes.  

I know the side sensors on the P4P only work in tripod and beginner mode but I put that down to them being IR sensors - the M2 side sensors are optical flow cameras and if they work in point of interest and active track they should work in slower speeds in p-mode. May be something in a future firmware update or the Mavic 3...
2019-8-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 8-5 10:58
I know the side sensors on the P4P only work in tripod and beginner mode but I put that down to them being IR sensors - the M2 side sensors are optical flow cameras and if they work in point of interest and active track they should work in slower speeds in p-mode. May be something in a future firmware update or the Mavic 3...

as far as i know cameras on sides are not optical flow they are depth aware.. which is how it can avoid and go around things from the side things when ative tracking.   

but i really hope dji doesn't just sit on it for mavic 3 series... no reason for it not to happen in an update to mavic 2 other then lack of competition pushing them ...
2019-8-5
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 8-5 11:23
as far as i know cameras on sides are not optical flow they are depth aware.. which is how it can avoid and go around things from the side things when ative tracking.   

but i really hope dji doesn't just sit on it for mavic 3 series... no reason for it other then lack of competition pushing them ...

Good to know - I presumed they were the same as the VPS cameras but if not then yep, they may very well be upgraded via firmware
2019-8-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 8-5 11:24
Good to know - I presumed they were the same as the VPS cameras but if not then yep, they may very well be upgraded via firmware

yep, VPS isn't optical flow either..  they just standard cameras doing pattern matching and 3D work to measure distance and stuff.  infact good example is how the spark can see your hand below it and land in it safely in your hand..

optical flow sensors are dumb and only can measure changes, optical mice for computer use optical flow for example.       in terms of pricing not even sure its even cheaper to use one over the other, but using a camera makes more sense and is more reliable.
2019-8-5
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 8-5 11:29
yep, VPS isn't optical flow either..  they just standard cameras doing pattern matching and 3D work to measure distance and stuff.  infact good example is how the spark can see your hand below it and land in it safely in your hand..

optical flow sensors are dumb and only can measure changes, optical mice for computer use optical flow for example.       in terms of pricing not even sure its even cheaper to use one over the other, but using a camera makes more sense and is more reliable.

Seems I'm out of touch with all the sensors lol as only fly my Inspire 1 these days which doesn't have any and tend to switch them all off anyway when flying my M2P as they restrict precision flying near obstacles That said, I know for sure that the upward sensor on the M2P works as soon as you switch it on in p-mode
2019-8-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 8-5 11:33
I'm out of touch with all the sensors as only fly my Inspire 1 these days which doesn't have any and tend to switch them all off anyway when flying my M2P as they restrict precision flying near obstacles  That said, I know for sure that the upward sensor on the M2P works as soon as you switch it on in p-mode

i believe the inspire 1 has optical flow + ultrasonic on bottom .  
2019-8-5
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 8-5 11:37
i believe the inspire 1 has optical flow + ultrasonic on bottom .

It does mate - two large sonic sensors and one basic optical flow camera with a detection range of just 10 feet - mainly used for the auto landing gear transformation. It was DJI's first drone with VPS and has zero obstacle avoidance sensing - it's come along way since 2015 - though I've never crashed an Inspire 1 in over 2,000,000 feet / >100 flights.
2019-8-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 8-5 11:44
It does mate - two large sonic sensors and one basic optical flow camera with a detection range of just 10 feet - mainly used for the auto landing gear transformation. It was DJI's first drone with VPS and has zero obstacle avoidance sensing - it's come along way since 2015 - though I've never crashed an Inspire 1 in over 2,000,000 feet / >100 flights.

i was super close to buying an used/refurbished inspire 1 V2 with X5 camera but i canceled the order on ebay last minute..  i may still do it it but it be after i buy mavic 2 pro
2019-8-5
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 8-5 11:53
i was super close to buying an used/refurbished inspire 1 V2 with X5 camera but i canceled the order on ebay last minute..  i may still do it it but it be after i buy mavic 2 pro

So many reasons not to get one mate but honestly, it is an amazing drone and was rightly the King of the sky in it's day. I've hit 82.3MPH in a 40MPH wind, never crashed, never had a fly away and it is the coolest looking (and sounding) quad in the air.

The controls are so smooth and cinematic - dream to fly. I sold my first one back in Feb '19 but I missed it so much that I bought another one last month on Ebay and sold my M2P to my Dad (which I can still use when I visit). I've traded in so many drones over the past 3 years and the Inspire 1 is my all time favourite - the only one I've regretted selling. Amazingly, I have flown the Inspire 1 at more locations than all the others as it's worth the effort. Do your homework and be sure to physically see the drone in person before buying one. I got a great deal but there are some dodgy ones out there.
2019-8-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules