Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Request for DJI to improve Pano Mode
820 5 2019-8-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
paul2660
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hope that someone with DJI will see this.  

With any of your current consumer drones, the usage for still photography has some limitations that should be something that a simple firmware update would address:

1.  Limited exposure steps of .7 for AEB
2.  NO ability to use AEB in Pano mode.

1.  The drone needs to have at least AEB exposure steps of 1.0 stops.  When shooting in any type of high range subject, sunset, sunrise, bright seashore, etc. the current 5 shot AEB can't supply enough Dynamic range in 5 shots, since they are only .7 in range, thus your full dynamic range is -1.34 to +1.34.  This requires an addtional series of images, to get the dynamic range to cover both highlights and shadows, where you are not going to blow out the highlights, or pull too much noise/lack of details in the shadows.

2.  With the 9 shot, or 3 shot vertical, please enable the AEB mode.  I realize this would not allow the internal pano to be created, but for my work, I never use the internal.  If the photographer has selected DNG for output, please respect the fact that the photographer understands the need for shooting DNG, not jpg.  The 9 shot pano mode on the M2 Pro gives a very nice image, however again, if shooting in a high DR ranged subject, you can't pull enough range in 1 shot, you either need to shoot for the highlights, or shadows and thus the opposite will be either too much noise in shadows, or blown totally highlights.  

Both of these options are standard practice on any DSLR and should not be a hard thing to add via firmware. Both would greatly add to the still capability of the M2 Pro which with a 20MP sensor has plenty of resolution for many great shots.  But is lacking in DR even at base ISO.

Sincerely
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

2019-8-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>
United States

+1 - I would love to see this implemented.
2019-8-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Paul. Thank you for reaching out an for this information you have shared with us today. I will forward these thread and these valued information that you have provided us today to our DJI designated department for further development of DJI. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news in our DJI official website at www.dji.com or by checking the Release Notes specific for your product. Thank you for your kind and understanding. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2019-8-5
Use props
ny300z
First Officer
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

big +1 on this. I end up trashing a ton of beautiful pano's because of this limitation.
2019-8-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I’m surprised you wouldn’t think of shooting this or these manually, it’s extremely simple and photoshop Lightroom offer easy solutions to stitch and edit .
2019-8-5
Use props
paul2660
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 8-5 07:48
I’m surprised you wouldn’t think of shooting this or these manually, it’s extremely simple and photoshop Lightroom offer easy solutions to stitch and edit .

I am shooting them manually. However the actual pano mode on the drone is much more precise in regards to lining up the segments.

It should not be a huge deal to allow AEB during a pano.

As for the increase in AWB exposure stops. That needs to Be implemented just to improve the limited DR of the camera/sensor.  No way can you pull enough DR in current 5 shot bracket to cover a sunset and get shadows and sun. Need at least 2 sets of 5 exposure brackets.

M2 Pro has a tendency to slightly shift position after a series of AEB exposures making the alignment of the next five off. Just adds more work.

I realize there are plenty of software tools  to construct a pano and I am familiar with most of them.

My requests are IMO something that should be simple to implement with a firmware update and both would add considerable value and improve the stills photography experience.

Paul C
2019-8-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules