Questions regarding M2P
822 11 2019-8-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Séa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2488816 ft
Indonesia

Hi, I want to buy Mavic 2 but am indecisive whether I should buy M2P or M2Z, but I am leaning more towards the M2P for the 1 inch sensor, 10 bit color and D-Log, but... I have been watching reviews on YouTube about it, and have found that M2P has this lens distortion problem that is pretty unfavorable to me (yes, I can just fix it in post, but for a drone this expensive this is something that should not exist IMO) so if it does exist, I wanna know just HOW BAD is the M2P lens distortion could be.
So here's my questions to M2P owners:

- in H.265 mode, is the lens distortion still there if I set the color profile to NONE? because I heard lens distortion only occurs heavily in D-Log, and less pronounced in HLG, and non existent when not using color profile.

- straight out of the camera in low light situations such as sunrise in the wee morning or during sunset (not night time kind of low light), does it perform well? how's the noise/grains? is it clean and noiseless in the shadows or there still a bit of noise? how's the Dynamic Range?

And also I have heard that M2Z actually on par or even outperforms M2P in some cases when shooting in broad daylight, is this true? the video quality of M2Z tends to be more crisp and sharp when compared to the M2P (dunno if it's because a matter of DoF effect on the M2P or what that leads some ppl into thinking it has less sharp image).

I would love to hear your unbiased opinions regarding the M2P and M2Z, Thank you!

2019-8-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No lens distortion using the normal colour mode
It performs excellently in low light conditions
Anyone who thinks a 1/2.3" sensor outperforms a 1" sensor doesn't have a clue.
2019-8-5
Use props
Chris_J03
lvl.1
Flight distance : 956496 ft

Honduras

Ok mate, the thing is it depends what you do. If you are a casual hobbyist or enthusiast, or just want to go for crazy and unique pictures go for th M2Z. Regarding the lense distortion, I don't see it that pronounced (I own the M2P).  M2P is more focused on post production material, even though straight our of camera is great. Dynamic range, I think is great with the 1" sensor and it is quite good in low light (M2P). My opinion if you want good straight out of cam content, go for the M2Z, but if you are a pro, and have the time to edit and need some extra tools go for the M2P. Cheers.
2019-8-5
Use props
Séa
Second Officer
Indonesia

A J Posted at 8-5 21:07
No lens distortion using the normal colour mode
It performs excellently in low light conditions
Anyone who thinks a 1/2.3" sensor outperforms a 1" sensor doesn't have a clue.

lol, yea that's what I thought too!
thanks for your answer
2019-8-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Séa Posted at 8-5 21:12
lol, yea that's what I thought too!
thanks for your answer

The zoom is a great drone but is £250 cheaper for a reason.
2019-8-5
Use props
Séa
Second Officer
Indonesia

Chris_J03 Posted at 8-5 21:07
Ok mate, the thing is it depends what you do. If you are a casual hobbyist or enthusiast, or just want to go for crazy and unique pictures go for th M2Z. Regarding the lense distortion, I don't see it that pronounced (I own the M2P).  M2P is more focused on post production material, even though straight our of camera is great. Dynamic range, I think is great with the 1" sensor and it is quite good in low light (M2P). My opinion if you want good straight out of cam content, go for the M2Z, but if you are a pro, and have the time to edit and need some extra tools go for the M2P. Cheers.

Yep, for Pro use and I do edit my stuff, that's why I am leaning more towards the M2P, thank you for your answer!
2019-8-5
Use props
Ben Mason
lvl.4
Flight distance : 610614 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Séa Posted at 8-5 21:16
Yep, for Pro use and I do edit my stuff, that's why I am leaning more towards the M2P, thank you for your answer!

Sound like you should go for the Pro if you often edit your stuff. Don't forget about that zoom though, it's a pretty useful feature.
2019-8-6
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

As per AJ's comment. If you want higher resolution stills, the 20mp will obviously outperform the 12 of the Zoom (and give scope to crop if necessary).

Whilst the 1inch sensor is still not ideal for low light work it is nevertheless superior to the one in the zoom. Anyone having done post will know that noise is the most difficult part to get rid of effectively.

My 2cts ... if you take videography/photography serious, get the Pro 2 (minimum if you can't afford or justify an Inspire) If you only do the odd family or youtube vids save the cash, get the Zoom and maybe add a battery or even consider the original Mavic. Some good deals around.
2019-8-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Séa Posted at 8-5 21:16

Truth is I have seen some great footage and photographs from MZ and some very poor footage and terrible photos from a MP2.
It’s all very subjective and I doubt 2 out of 10 users could definitely tell you which drone took which footage.
I believe either is a great choice, I don’t believe one is a pro camera and one is not a pro camera, they are both user friendly the zoom a little more so, for video I believe it’s probably the toss of a coin for photo yes sensor in the pro is probably just got the edge, I have already decided that I will buy a a zoom, I already own a pro but I have seen some very good stuff coming out of the zoom and I certainly believe it’s great value for the price .
Good luck hope your happy with your choice, I have been following your work and I believe you will make great videos from whichever one you choose..
2019-8-6
Use props
Séa
Second Officer
Indonesia

*DM* Posted at 8-6 02:54
As per AJ's comment. If you want higher resolution stills, the 20mp will obviously outperform the 12 of the Zoom (and give scope to crop if necessary).

Whilst the 1inch sensor is still not ideal for low light work it is nevertheless superior to the one in the zoom. Anyone having done post will know that noise is the most difficult part to get rid of effectively.

thank you for your answer
2019-8-6
Use props
Séa
Second Officer
Indonesia

Ben Mason Posted at 8-6 02:42
Sound like you should go for the Pro if you often edit your stuff. Don't forget about that zoom though, it's a pretty useful feature.

Yeah, Zoom is pretty awesome too from what I saw, thank you for your answer
2019-8-6
Use props
Séa
Second Officer
Indonesia

hallmark007 Posted at 8-6 14:35
Truth is I have seen some great footage and photographs from MZ and some very poor footage and terrible photos from a MP2.
It’s all very subjective and I doubt 2 out of 10 users could definitely tell you which drone took which footage.
I believe either is a great choice, I don’t believe one is a pro camera and one is not a pro camera, they are both user friendly the zoom a little more so, for video I believe it’s probably the toss of a coin for photo yes sensor in the pro is probably just got the edge, I have already decided that I will buy a a zoom, I already own a pro but I have seen some very good stuff coming out of the zoom and I certainly believe it’s great value for the price .

I strongly agree with you, taking epic photos/great cinematic footage needs more than just a sensor size, lighting also plays a major part, angles, compositions, etc. Even my Mavic Air has made me quite a lot of money selling video clips, so I am sure that the Zoom would perform just as well. Of course there will be limitations, but in the end, it's all about creativity, and creativity knows no limitations.

Thank you very much for your answer
2019-8-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules