Inspire 2/X5S Gimbal Shakes
1462 5 2019-8-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LW UAS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 858228 ft
United States

I have been having this issue for a while, I thought it was eliminated by a FW update I did this spring but now it has returned. Sometimes the gimbal starts to shake, and it can be minor or very extreme. It has happened during flight, as well as sitting on the ground with the prop motors off. It appears to be completely random and not related to temperature, wind, aircraft speed, movement, or choice of lens. It usually happens close to the beginning of flights, but has happened in the middle and toward the end as well. Sometimes I can fly all day with no issues, other times it will occur several times during a day. It will usually self-correct, but a few times I have had to land and power off. It happens whether I am using single or dual operation. When it has happened on the ground it is usually accompanied by a very high pitch noise. I am very familiar with gimbals and this reminds me of how a gimbal could respond if it was not balanced or the motor strength was set too high for the mounting. I always keep the gimbal completely balanced, and I have all of the motors set to default settings. I have tried calibrating the gimbal, re-mounting it, dialing down the motors, all to no avail. Does anyone have any experience with this issue, or insight as to what could be causing it? I would like to avoid sending it in for service if this is a problem I can fix myself and avoid any downtime. Attached are two videos, the first shows a more extreme version of the shake shortly after takeoff, the second shows a lesser one around the midway point of the flight.
2019-8-6
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Part out the Inspire 2 setup.
2019-8-6
Use props
LW UAS
lvl.4
United States

Inspire 2
X5S Camera/Gimbal
Stock 15mm lens or Panasonic 14-42mm (problem occurs with both)
Stock RCs, two of them, used in both single and dual operation
Mobile devices: Samsung Galaxy S2 Tab, Samsung Galaxy S9+, Ipad Mini 2, Ipad Mini 4 (problem has occurred with all)
2019-8-6
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

LW UAS Posted at 8-6 13:35
Inspire 2
X5S Camera/Gimbal
Stock 15mm lens or Panasonic 14-42mm (problem occurs with both)

Do you have a chance to borrow another X5S? This my narrow your investigation down to a gimbal or - perhaps - wirings beyond gimbal mount.
2019-8-6
Use props
LW UAS
lvl.4
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 8-6 14:26
Do you have a chance to borrow another X5S? This my narrow your investigation down to a gimbal or - perhaps - wirings beyond gimbal mount.

I may try doing that, but unfortunately the closest person with one is about 2 hours away. I was hoping that someone with a similar problem would respond on the forum before I take that step. Also, I would have to borrow another X5S for a significant amount of time because this problem is very random and does not appear every time I fly.
2019-8-6
Use props
LW UAS
lvl.4
United States

So for the last 3 days I have been testing the equipment and I keep getting this problem randomly, but I have now been able to document it better while it was on the ground. Two days ago I was able to land the I2 while the gimbal was acting up, and not only was it shaking but when I moved it slightly with my finger it started panning and tilting as if it was tracing a circle, and when I tried to pan with the controller it would only slightly roll. Unfortunately, it stopped doing this and returned to normal function before I was able to pull out my camera to document it. Yesterday and today I was able to record video of it malfunctioning while on the ground, and instead of acting out of control it appeared as if one or more of the motors went dead temporarily. Below are 2 videos from today of what I am talking about, in both cases the problem started while the I2 was just sitting there turned on, with no control input being applied. You can see the gimbal appears somewhat dead, and then eventually comes back to life, but at no point does the video signal cut out (in fact it never loses video signal when the problem occurs). In the second video the gimbal actually resets itself. After these two occurrences I let it sit turned on for at least another 30 minutes with no issues. I was thinking the problem may be a loose connection, but I am not familiar with the electronics so I don't want to dive into something without getting input from someone knowledgeable. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it, especially from any of the moderators on this forum.
2019-8-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules