Flying a drone near the Wisconsin state fair
999 7 2019-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paul775
lvl.1

United States

I was trying to get some drone footage  near the Wisconsin State Fair. I know I can't go over the crowd I was  just trying to get some footage from outside the grounds of a 150 foot  Farris wheel.  As I was setting up my drone for the flight I was noticed  by a few police officers that wondered over to shut me down. I had  checked the AirMap Hover and uav forecast apps and to me it all looked  clear for me to go.

I  was told by the officers there is a 750ft boundary around the fair for a  no drone flight rule put in effect by the FAA  .. as I asked him for  clarification and proof he said it was a secret memo he could not show  me. I tried to find this rule and so far have come up with it. Any help would be apreciated.

2019-8-7
Use props
Paul775
lvl.1

United States

I was trying to get some drone footage  near the  Wisconsin State Fair. I know I can't go over the crowd I was  just  trying to get some footage from outside the grounds of a 150  foot  Farris wheel.  As I was setting up my drone for the flight I was  noticed  by a few police officers that wondered over to shut me down. I  had  checked the AirMap Hover and uav forecast apps and to me it all  looked  clear for me to go.

I  was told by the officers there is a 750ft boundary  around the fair for a  no drone flight rule put in effect by the FAA  ..  as I asked him for  clarification and proof he said it was a secret  memo he could not show  me. I tried to find this rule and so far have  come up with nothing. Any help would be apreciated.
2019-8-7
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Check Notam's for temporary NFZ's
2019-8-7
Use props
Ben Mason
lvl.4
Flight distance : 610614 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm not sure about UAV Laws in the U.S, but in the U.K it is very common for the C.A.A to authorise NOTAM's and create temporary no fly zones for all sorts of things, like cranes, tall fair ground rides, weather balloon , gliding parties, sky's the limit.

So in short it wouldn't shock me if what the police said is true.
2019-8-7
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree with DM, check Notam's and NFZ. Download Kitty Hawk it supports Laanc
2019-8-7
Use props
Paul775
lvl.1

United States

I just herd back from the FAA

Paul

Thank you for contacting the FAA's Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Support Center.

I am not aware of any such Temporary Flight Restriction issued by the FAA for the Wisconsin State Fair.  

Local officials do not have the authority to deny you access to the National Airspace System.  However, local officials do have the authority to deny UAS take-offs and landings on certain property, which may have been the case in this instance.

I will be back tonight !!

2019-8-7
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry to know about what happened to your recent flight. We're glad that you've managed to coordinate the situation that happened for further clarification. Should you have further concern, please let us know. Cheers!
2019-8-7
Use props
fans41779ada
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1700968 ft
United States

Dude take off from where they can't see you.
2019-8-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules