Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Artiks
lvl.2
Flight distance : 979964 ft
Portugal

Hello guys, long time no see!

Here's my issue.
Some weeks ago one of my 4 bateries that were in their case for longer than they should, died   The case had a strange smell and the battery was inflated.

Now that I have only 3, I'm being very cautious with all of them.
Unfortunately, 1 of them its already warning me with messages of battery error in the DJI APP (because the voltage is already about 0.15+ difference).

My question is,  the recommendation is to buy new ones when this happens, but if I monitor the weakest cell when I'm flying is it safe? What I'm trying to say is... if I always pay attention to its voltage instead of % and guide myself by that and never drop it from 3.00v, it should have no problem...or is it more prone to fail randomly??

Here are 2 screenshots of the same battery at around 100% and 75%. 29cycles and the capacity is already 3732mAH ( I have one with 36cycles 4100mAH...)

8C74CA25-6158-49B8-874A-37F741CC2669.png 7888CA19-A1C7-4D11-B169-D820D533F264.png

The other one does not have the same message because the difference is lower, but should I be concerned? Even though the battery cells seem better, the capacity is already reduced by 1100mAH.

1716C97B-7020-4AB1-B9D4-7A23838EB8D0.png

Well that's all, sorry for the long post. I guess I really have to ask for more $$$$ in each project, since the batteries are expensive and don't last for long
FYI, I already have tried to `calibrate´ the batteries. Drain to 0 and recharge. I always keep good common practices (storage, usse fully charged batteries, don't be agressive on the sticks, etc). I guess I'm not lucky ahaha

Thanks! Your advice is appreciated.
Diogo.

2019-8-7
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Do a deep recycle - basically fly the drone down from 100% until it lands then leave the drone on until the battery turns itself off. Take it out and let it cool down completely to room temperature (on a table out of direct sunlight) then, once cool, immediately put it on the charger and recharge it to 100% until the battery LED's turn off. The cell deviation should improve. Monitor it closely but if there are no improvements there is a chance of sudden voltage drops which will pose an increased risk so you'll need to ask yourself the question - is possibly losing the drone outweighing the cost of replacing the battery... Not to mention what damage the drone may do if it crash lands into someone or their property... Cell deviation should really be 0.09 or lower and the voltage shouldn't go below 3.2 on any of the cells.
I'd also highly recommend storing the batteries at 50% when not in use and in a cool, dry area of your house. Fully recharge to 100%, fly to 20% and recharge to 50% once per month as a minimum - and do the deep discharge recycle every 20 charges as this will keep the batteries healthy for a much longer time - 'use it or lose it' as they say.
2019-8-8
Use props
Artiks
lvl.2
Flight distance : 979964 ft
Portugal

A J Posted at 8-8 09:04
Do a deep recycle - basically fly the drone down from 100% until it lands then leave the drone on until the battery turns itself off. Take it out and let it cool down completely to room temperature (on a table out of direct sunlight) then, once cool, immediately put it on the charger and recharge it to 100% until the battery LED's turn off. The cell deviation should improve. Monitor it closely but if there are no improvements there is a chance of sudden voltage drops which will pose an increased risk so you'll need to ask yourself the question - is possibly losing the drone outweighing the cost of replacing the battery... Not to mention what damage the drone may do if it crash lands into someone or their property... Cell deviation should really be 0.09 or lower and the voltage shouldn't go below 3.2 on any of the cells.
I'd also highly recommend storing the batteries at 50% when not in use and in a cool, dry area of your house. Fully recharge to 100%, fly to 20% and recharge to 50% once per month as a minimum - and do the deep discharge recycle every 20 charges as this will keep the batteries healthy for a much longer time - 'use it or lose it' as they say.

Hi AJ! Thanks for the answer.
I already did a deep recycle but it did not improve neither affect it.
For now, I guess I'm going to use the one that doesn't have an app error message yet, and the other one only in specific areas where I can lower the risk of damage the drone or anyone...but I know these two will be retired soon. Time to buy more batteries

I'll keep an eye on this thread, if anyone has other thoughts please share with us.

Thanks once more AJ.
Cheers!
2019-8-8
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Artiks Posted at 8-8 16:09
Hi AJ! Thanks for the answer.
I already did a deep recycle but it did not improve neither affect it.
For now, I guess I'm going to use the one that doesn't have an app error message yet, and the other one only in specific areas where I can lower the risk of damage the drone or anyone...but I know these two will be retired soon. Time to buy more batteries  

You're very welcome and good luck with it.
2019-8-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules