Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Choppy Video Feed on Smart Controller
4554 15 2019-8-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SmokeyX
lvl.1
United States

Does anyone have a problem with a very choppy video feed with a smart controller? I just got the Mavic 2 Pro w/ Smart Controller today and after having owned a Mavic and using my iPhone Xs Max and ipad as a display for nearly 2 years the live video feed is a huge step backwards unless I either have a faulty unit or if there's some setting that I don't know about.  
You can see in the video below how choppy it looks.  Aside from the time I flew around the backside of the building and the remote signal went low I had pretty a pretty good signal the rest of the time.  Is this amount of chop normal?
Thanks!

2019-8-8
Use props
SmokeyX
lvl.1
United States

I forgot to mention that all of my firmware has been updated after unboxing this afternoon.
2019-8-8
Use props
Marty Markoe
Captain
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

It looks to me that your yaw motions are too quick and choppy.
2019-8-9
Use props
rbtmckny
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8001404 ft
Philippines

What kind of SD Card are you using? Make sure it is compatible. You need to use a San Disk Extreme as opposed to a San Disk Ultra as an example. Search SD Card on this forum if you are not sure. Also you are turning (Yaw) your Drone to fast and are getting motion blur, but I do see the choppy video you are concerned with. Your SD Card may not be fast enough. Make sure it is capable of recording videos.
2019-8-9
Use props
SmokeyX
lvl.1
United States

Marty Markoe Posted at 8-9 03:56
It looks to me that your yaw motions are too quick and choppy.

No, its defiantly not that.  This is low/choppy frame rate.  I was able to fly my original Mavic in sport mode and never had any issues with video response like this other than obviously when I was at the limit of my remote control range.
2019-8-9
Use props
SmokeyX
lvl.1
United States

rbtmckny Posted at 8-9 05:39
What kind of SD Card are you using? Make sure it is compatible. You need to use a San Disk Extreme as opposed to a San Disk Ultra as an example. Search SD Card on this forum if you are not sure. Also you are turning (Yaw) your Drone to fast and are getting motion blur, but I do see the choppy video you are concerned with. Your SD Card may not be fast enough. Make sure it is capable of recording videos.

This isn't a recording problem, I'm seeing it on the live feed on the controller.  I just did a screen recording to show the issue. Also, I am using SD Extreme cards.
2019-8-9
Use props
wreyniers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1501355 ft
United States

I find that if I record the screen AND record the video feed within the app that my video gets choppy like this. It is a lot smoother for me if I'm only recording one or the other, but the best performance is when you only record the video feed in app (or don't do any recording on the smart controller at all). Perhaps you're both recording the screen and the video feed in the app?
2019-8-9
Use props
SmokeyX
lvl.1
United States

wreyniers Posted at 8-9 12:17
I find that if I record the screen AND record the video feed within the app that my video gets choppy like this. It is a lot smoother for me if I'm only recording one or the other, but the best performance is when you only record the video feed in app (or don't do any recording on the smart controller at all). Perhaps you're both recording the screen and the video feed in the app?

The only reason I started a screen recording was to show the problem that I have.  I still get the same issue if I'm not recording at all.
2019-8-9
Use props
Raydee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20768 ft
United States

I personally think it has something to do with the Smart remote itself, almost like its out of ram and stuttering. I am having the same issue but mine crashes the Go4 app each time it starts to get choppy.
2019-8-11
Use props
Venomvip
lvl.1
Flight distance : 78402 ft
Ukraine

SmokeyX Posted at 2019-8-9 14:53
The only reason I started a screen recording was to show the problem that I have.  I still get the same issue if I'm not recording at all.

Just happend to realise I have the same issue.
have you been able to find the solution ? pls let me know
2020-3-2
Use props
Venomvip
lvl.1
Flight distance : 78402 ft
Ukraine

Raydee Posted at 2019-8-11 15:30
I personally think it has something to do with the Smart remote itself, almost like its out of ram and stuttering. I am having the same issue but mine crashes the Go4 app each time it starts to get choppy.

may be you have found solution?
2020-3-2
Use props
MauroT
Captain
Flight distance : 16041247 ft
  • >>>
Italy

your shutter speed was to slow, with 24fps min 1/50
2020-5-24
Use props
djiuser_qY8udCo2cdvJ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 261870 ft

United States

MauroT Posted at 2020-5-24 04:33
your shutter speed was to slow, with 24fps min 1/50

No. Read the other comments. There's a problem where the controller's hardware literally cannot keep up. This is proven by trying interacting with the menus while it's stuttering. Coming into this thread nearly a year later because for some reason this is still a problem on a $750 controller. I'm trying a full firmware refresh in the meantime with the Dji Assistant 2 application and will update this comment if I see that improves it.
2021-4-18
Use props
scoble08
Captain
Flight distance : 4327592 ft
  • >>>
United States

SmokeyX Posted at 2019-8-9 05:42
No, its defiantly not that.  This is low/choppy frame rate.  I was able to fly my original Mavic in sport mode and never had any issues with video response like this other than obviously when I was at the limit of my remote control range.

Try going to Recent on the SC and close ALL apps.  Then restart the Go4 or Fly app. I do this before each flight and has greatly helped.  Takes only a couple of seconds to do.
2021-4-18
Use props
djiuser_qY8udCo2cdvJ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 261870 ft

United States

scoble08 Posted at 4-18 06:36
Try going to Recent on the SC and close ALL apps.  Then restart the Go4 or Fly app. I do this before each flight and has greatly helped.  Takes only a couple of seconds to do.

I get the same results even after doing that as well as the firmware refresh. It's made worse whenever I'm recording but can still get solid stutters outside of that. This is also when in clear VLOS of the drone such as over a field. It's the app itself that seems to be stuttering and unable to keep up and I find it hard to believe DJI would put hardware in this controller that simply can't handle what the apps would throw at it but  that seems to be the case (this is not a camera issue, this is a performance issue of the controller itself). I also only use the Fly app with the MA2.

In hindsight I wish I got the regular bundle with the regular controller instead of Smart because this has made me have to stop and restart shots multiple times when trying to record, plus the flexibility of being able to use larger devices.

Here is a screen recording, albeit with the stutters exaggerated due to the screen recording, but isn't too far off from my regular experience when trying to do a recording otherwise. https://youtu.be/hugBH6WJjBI
2021-4-18
Use props
jedi_27
lvl.1
Flight distance : 224072 ft

United States

Hi Everyone, I am having a similar issue.  Before the last firmware update I did not have any problems at all.  Since then I have had incredible framerate drops on the smart controller.  I am trying to perform a refresh of the firmware.  

Thank you
2021-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules