NFZ
626 2 2019-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10326581 ft
Canada

A few days ago while on vacation at my cottage in NS I had my first experience with what happens when coming into a NFZ,  these two little kids happen to somehow get away from their Mom and float away on their floaties and taken away by the high tide,  911 were called, and I was trying to get anyone with a boat to get them, some firemen showed up but the rescue boat still had to come from the town, meanwhile the firemen had ask me to fly to the kids to find out if they were ok,  got the drone ready to fly out,  I didn't record the flight as the only thing that they wanted was a visual, the sun was bright so visual on my Ipad was terrible, but all of a sudden the screen went black, could not get anything on my screen, I hit the RTH button and the beeping sound came on but nothing else,  I figured that my drone ended up in the Nortumberland Strait, then my wife said that she heard the drone, what a relief,  as it turns out what had happen was that where I am situated there is no restrictions whatsoever, but directly across the open waters to the other point there is a very small airport and since I never use the map when flying I never seen that a NFZ that appears if I was to increase the map screen, I did check for the warnings that show up on my app but there was nothing except that I had activated my RTH.  Would I be right in thinking that since I was starting to enter a NFZ the complete system shut down and sent my droBTW my altitude was 19 meters.
2019-8-9
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

Wow, that was a stressful situation.  In a case like this, the DJI Go 4 App should notify the pilot that they have entered or are entering an NFZ, then initiate an RTH.  I wonder now, how would emergency services that use drones, get past this current restriction or any restriction like this?  Sometimes when you need any 'eye in the sky', one would not have time to open up AirMap and submit a query to LAANC (even though on regular flights, this is the way to go).  Shutting aircraft systems down mid flight, is never the way to go.  This needs to be improved ASAP.  This is beyond simply keeping 'wreckless' drone operators in check.  This is a major safety issue.
2019-8-9
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10326581 ft
Canada

Neo Supreme Posted at 8-9 04:31
Wow, that was a stressful situation.  In a case like this, the DJI Go 4 App should notify the pilot that they have entered or are entering an NFZ, then initiate an RTH.  I wonder now, how would emergency services that use drones, get past this current restriction or any restriction like this?  Sometimes when you need any 'eye in the sky', one would not have time to open up AirMap and submit a query to LAANC (even though on regular flights, this is the way to go).  Shutting aircraft systems down mid flight, is never the way to go.  This needs to be improved ASAP.  This is beyond simply keeping 'wreckless' drone operators in check.  This is a major safety issue.

I'm just happy that the kids are ok, and the drone came back, but yes there are issues that need to be looked at.
2019-8-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules