Phantom 2 flying in Polar regions?
1177 3 2014-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scott.portelli
New

Australia

I am currently using my Phantom 2 in NAZA mode but heading to Antarctica soon and was hoping to get some advice as I know their are a number of issues people have had operating in the Polar regions. I believe the main concern is the compass calibration because you are very close to magnetic north or south. I have read some people saying they can get a GPS lock but this has not been reliable. any suggestions on what mode and how to turn off the compass if possible. apologies if someone has covered this before in the forum.
thanks
Scotty
2014-11-13
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Practice in manual mode as much as possible, do not rely on any of the auto pilot systems.
At least then , if you have such issues you can use it with caution without any interference.....
2014-11-13
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

I suspect compass calibration is going to be the least of your problems.  Wow, talk about flying in extreme conditions!  I wonder how the temperature is going to affect the battery life and flight time!

As far as compass calibration, it all depending on where you are in relation to the magnetic pole  Check out the   NOAA Historical Declanation

Also, when you know your lat/lon you can enter it into the Satellite predictor to see what kind of GPS coverage you'll be able to expect.
AntarcticMagnetic.png
SatPredictor.png
2014-11-13
Use props
DJI-Una
lvl.2

China

Hi  Scotty ,

It is not advised to fly in the polar regions .
And it is also a condition in the disclaimer. So pls take it serious.
Because the compass and GPS will be affect and take dangerous.

If you insist and confident in your flight  operation,you can choose manual mode.

Good luck!

Una

2014-11-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules