Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
D-Cinelike, LUTs and Noise
2945 7 2019-8-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nodge
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3596 ft
United Kingdom

I normally shoot in the "Normal" colour mode but thought I really should give D-Cinelike a go so I did a short test video which you can see here..

On the left is the native D-Cinelike and the middle and right side have two different LUTs applied. I thought the middle one looked a bit too dark and contrasty while the one on the right looked ok. What do you think? I'm sure both could be adjusted a little to improve things further but what concerns me most is that when I view the vid on my 4k tv I see a lot of noise - a bit like looking through a net curtain in places. Is it just my setup or does anyone else see this?

The middle LUT was called D_Cinelike_to_Rec709.cube and the one on the right was NoamKroll-Cine-D.cube. I'm afraid I don't have the links to hand but the NoamKroll one was found on this forum.

John
2019-8-10
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2019-8-10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for sharing this comparison footage with us. We're sure that our valued DJI Forum members would provide their sight regarding this matter. Thank you for continued support.
2019-8-11
Use props
ddv88
lvl.1
Russia

So what's the problem? Less ISO - less noise.
Iso 800+ with such a small sensor gives you a lot of noise. It's physics.
Can you provide video not compressed by youtube?
2019-8-11
Use props
Nodge
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3596 ft
United Kingdom

ddv88 Posted at 8-11 13:48
So what's the problem? Less ISO - less noise.
Iso 800+ with such a small sensor gives you a lot of noise. It's physics.
Can you provide video not compressed by youtube?

Why do you think the ISO would be so high? It was quite a bright sunny day. Here's a link to the original video. It was recorded in 4k 30 and rendered with the LUTS applied in Sony Vegas. Are you seeing the noise? Not even sure if it is noise or some sort of interference pattern. It's more prominent on the grass and road surface for me.

John
2019-8-13
Use props
Roman Poupa
lvl.1
Ireland

Hi everyone,just ask after last update picture is not that clear like before.Was make lot pics in very sunny day and background have like fog.But before ben in same place, more hot day and pics is so lovely, even for long distance.Did some have same experience?
2019-8-13
Use props
djiuser_1iEqo005zD90
New

Italy

I have the same problem with noise (at ISO 100 ddv88). If I use ND filters because it's too bright (at ISO 100 ddv88), things get worse. Videos are just horrible to me, maybe not to someone who like or doesn't see any noise at all. I don't know.
2019-11-2
Use props
kfh
lvl.3
Denmark

There is an extra quirk with D-Cinelike, and that is, that the file contains more information in low-light environments. I used 25fps, MP4, 4k, 2.7k and 1080p settings (best quality), with and without D-Cinelike. Here only results for 4k.

With D-Cinelike I got these results:

4k, D-Cinelike

File size                                : 655 MiB
Duration                                 : 1mn 3s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 87.1 Mbps
Encoded date                             : UTC 2019-11-05 15:55:59
Tagged date                              : UTC 2019-11-05 15:55:59
Comment                                  : DE=D-CLike, Type=Normal, HQ=High, Mode=P

Very to extremely noisy (maximum ISO). Areas with relatively less noise in the following contains far more noise.

4k-normal.png

4k, normal

File size                                : 390 MiB
Duration                                 : 1mn 4s
Overall bit rate                         : 50.5 Mbps
Encoded date                             : UTC 2019-11-05 16:00:52
Tagged date                              : UTC 2019-11-05 16:00:52
Comment                                  : DE=None, Type=Normal, HQ=High, Mode=P

Very noisy (maximum ISO), as expected. Especially in the shadow areas.

The difference in content is visibly more noise in the D-Cinelike version (i.e. the noise floor is raised by the altered Gamma). There’s less blown highlights too, so you’ll have to test thoroughly for yourself. The cut images are only for illustration (and in a running video, the difference in noise levels is far easier to see due to the “noise activity level” :-).

In good lighting (completely different scene) - outside, summer, sunshine, Bruxelles National Day 2019, city streets, you’ll get values like these:

File size                                : 641 MiB
Duration                                 : 53s 739ms
Overall bit rate                         : 100 Mbps
Encoded date                             : UTC 2019-07-21 14:08:11
Tagged date                              : UTC 2019-07-21 14:08:11
Comment                                  : DE=None, Type=Normal, HQ=High, Mode=P

Noise is practically non-existent, but the amount of captured detail is high (compared to the first example, where a large part of the “captured detail” is actually noise).

The best way to experience the difference is by performing a simple test yourself, and then apply a D-Cinelike LUT in post (i.e. in LumaFusion on an iPad or Final Cut Pro X on a Mac or DaVinci Resolve on Mac, Windows or Linux). That way you KNOW, how the hardware behaves. It only takes between a few minutes and an hour, depending on your proficiency in handling the tools.

YMMV - have fun.
4k-D-Cinelike.png
2019-11-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules