Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Flygmaskin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 70719 ft
Sweden

[UPDATE - AC REPAIRED BY SERVICE CENTER - 30% OFF - PLEASE SEE POST #25]

Hi everyone!

Got the Spark recently and have had some wonderful flights with it already. Not so wonderful experience a couple of days ago though. I brought my Spark into the woods, there is a grove that's just beautiful to fly around in. Launched the aircraft through the Go 4 app after I saw ten satellites connected. After like ten seconds I got a warning saying that the GPS signal was weak. It disappeared quickly though and I saw lots of satellites.

After doing some slow flying, mostly hovering, I got 'Satellite positioning off, fly with caution', but still had plenty of satellites.  I decided to lower the altitude a bit to around ~1.5meters and moving myself closer to the aircraft. Decided to stop the flight. After a short time, a new home point was recorded, so I knew for sure that the GPS-positioning system was up and running again.

While getting closer to the aircraft to make sure I had good sight while landing, I noticed that it started to drift. Not at all the behavior that I'm used to, since it's usually amazingly stable and there was no wind. The Go 4 app showed 10-11 satelittes when I checked so I thought it was strange.

The drifting caused the Spark to go into a tree and drop to the ground. I wasn't too alarmed though, since i had prop guards on and it was from a low altitude, and landing on soft ground. Still decided not to fly the Spark further this day and got home and checked closely for visible damage, nothing found. The next day when taking off att the same location, I noticed after a while that the camera wouldnt adjust up or down, and when I brought the aircraft back and checked overall status, I noticed 'Gimbal gyroscope error'.

Felt really sad, but aborted further flights and went home to check what it could be about. Then found the possibility to upload flight logs, still not sure if I got it right, but I try to post a link here: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/15SEYY0ZWGM4XOLQID9I

In the flight log, I see some kind of error that I didn't see in the Go 4 app. It's called 'GPS Position NoMatch'. Whats that all about?

How is it that the Spark is able to drift in this manner, while having a connection to satellites? And also, what does the Gimbal Gyroscope error mean? I have, as suggested by DJI moderators, tried flashing the current firmware, even downgrading to an earlier version, then upgrading. Reset to factory default and then re-installed the latest Firmware. No luck. Calibrated IMU and compass, no luck. The gimbal won't move when powered on and the error code persists.

Since the hit Spark took to the tree was minor and landing in soft ground, and since there is absolutely no visible damage, I find it unlikely that there should be a hardware failure, concidering how well built DJI's products are.

Would appreciate any input in the matter. Feels pretty sad at the moment, the Spark still can fly, but since the gimbal isn't working, it's not what it should be.

2019-8-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Flygmaskin. I am sorry to know what is happening to your DJI Spark. With regards to the Gimbal Gyroscope Error. Please try to check the application version and upgrade the aircraft firmware to the latest version then please try to restart the application, and replace with other mobile devices to check whether the same error prompt appears. Finally please check whether the gimbal self-check can be performed normally and try to restart the aircraft several times. After multiple attempts, if the issue persists, I would recommend you contact our DJI support team to start up a ticket for the said drone at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav  and please send in the aircraft for additional analysis and repair. Thank for your understanding and for your support.
2019-8-11
Use props
Flygmaskin
lvl.2
Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-11 09:04
Hello and good day Flygmaskin. I am sorry to know what is happening to your DJI Spark. With regards to the Gimbal Gyroscope Error. Please try to check the application version and upgrade the aircraft firmware to the latest version then please try to restart the application, and replace with other mobile devices to check whether the same error prompt appears. Finally please check whether the gimbal self-check can be performed normally and try to restart the aircraft several times. After multiple attempts, if the issue persists, I would recommend you contact our DJI support team to start up a ticket for the said drone at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav  and please send in the aircraft for additional analysis and repair. Thank for your understanding and for your support.

Hi, and thank you for the swift reply. Much appreciated!

I checked the application error of DJI Go 4 and it's the latest (according to my understanding) version: 4.3.20 running on Ios. Also made sure to have the latest version of the firmware.

I checked with another mobile device, also running Ios, and sadly, the Gimbal gyroscope error persists. I restarted the aircraft about five times, and it does not look as though the gimbal self-check is taking place at all (it simply doesn't move after powering on the aircraft).

Have you any insight in what the error code "GPS Position NoMatch" that can be seen in the flight log might mean? Since the aircraft drifted on its own, without me giving it command to move, I think that maybe that kind of error might have something to do with the issue?
2019-8-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Flygmaskin Posted at 8-11 09:38
Hi, and thank you for the swift reply. Much appreciated!

I checked the application error of DJI Go 4 and it's the latest (according to my understanding) version: 4.3.20 running on Ios. Also made sure to have the latest version of the firmware.

You are very much welcome Flygmaskin. With regards to the "GPS Position NoMatch" error code. Please check if there is any interference around the area your you are flying or operating your drone. I would recommend you change a place to fly your DJI Spark to further check. Please enter wifi setting and check if most of the channels are green before flight as well. In addition since this issue is still happening on the said drone there might be an issue with the drone internally after the said crash. The best thing we need to do is to contact our DJI support team to further assess and fix the said drone. We hope to hear from you as soon as possible for further assistance. Thank you.
2019-8-11
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Flygmaskin,

You started your flight with 10 satellites, shortly after takeoff changing to 7,8,6,5 etc....
GPS reception value just 2 bars, so your Spark did fly in P-GPS mode but signals to weak for recording a HomePoint! Finally after 3m40.8s a Homepoint was recorded.
BTW1  why a RTH height of 100 meters? that`s a really safe safe altitude (if not flying under trees etc) but cost a lot of time to go up and down again.
BTW2  if you fly away from your taekoff point and HP is set 3 minutes in flight....this means that your HP position can be far away while you do not realise that. In case of a disconnect and RTH is started....(omg)

At 3m20s your SPARK into ATTI for short moment ; GPS reception went to zero that time.

Shortly after recording HP a warning "GpsPositionNonMatch", imo beacuse the inacurrrancy of the te GPS signals in that position.

Unstable hovering can occur when the GPS signals are not good enough as they are used to stabilize a hover.

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
2019-8-11
Use props
Flygmaskin
lvl.2
Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-11 09:53
You are very much welcome Flygmaskin. With regards to the "GPS Position NoMatch" error code. Please check if there is any interference around the area your you are flying or operating your drone. I would recommend you change a place to fly your DJI Spark to further check. Please enter wifi setting and check if most of the channels are green before flight as well. In addition since this issue is still happening on the said drone there might be an issue with the drone internally after the said crash. The best thing we need to do is to contact our DJI support team to further assess and fix the said drone. We hope to hear from you as soon as possible for further assistance. Thank you.

Thank you for your help Stephen!

I went back to the location with the same Spark, around the same time of day as during the crash. As you kindly suggested, I checked the channels in the Wifi settings and there were no interference at all. In that aspect the location seems perfectly suited for flying. I did not take off however, since I don't really know whats wrong with the aircraft

So the "GPS Position NoMatch" error code were most likely caused by something else. Do you have any insight in what may cause this error code and how it might affect the aircraft?
2019-8-15
Use props
Flygmaskin
lvl.2
Sweden

JJB* Posted at 8-11 10:42
Hi Flygmaskin,

You started your flight with 10 satellites, shortly after takeoff changing to 7,8,6,5 etc....

Hi JJB*, thank you for your input!

I wasn't concerned that the home point was not created, as I would be flying the Spark at very low altitudes and in close proximity. I figured that as long as I had GPS connection, and "gtreen light to go" it would still behave normally.

So the reception value/signal strength is important for creating a home point, not only the number of satellites? Makes sense in some way. The log shows weak signals (zero bars) up until the time the home point was recorded, then there were 4 bars, 10 satellites. And it was just after the home point were recorded, that the problems started and the "GPSPosition NonMatch" started as you noted. Aircraft started to drift, without any input from the controller, and with GPS-signal strength going from zero to four bars. Didn't lose connection though.

The aircraft behaved normally until the home point was recorded, so I kind of wish it didn't record it, since it was after the home point that the errors and problems that led to the crash started.

As of your BTW1 and question, I wasn't able to change the RTH height that day, not sure why. The flight I did before this one, I set it at 100m since it was the safest height for the conditions I were flying in. Tried to change the value before the failed flight, but the DJI Go 4 wouldn't change the value. I tried to change it, pressed ok, but the value wasn't updated. I didn't gave much thought to it, since I were not going to fly far, definitely not as far as 20m and I'm pretty sure I enabled the "RTH at current altitude" option. Good point regarding the time (and battery) it takes to ascend then descend to/from those heights. One should keep that in mind.

BTW2: Also something one should keep in mind. If one is flying far away, you could really go great distances away in 3 minutes.. For this particular flight, I didn't intend to fly far at all. I intended to take some photos of a specific point a few meters from the take off point. Sadly I didn't get very far at all though

Also, what program/software are you using to get all that detailed data in the picture you posted? Looks interesting and very detailed!
2019-8-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Flygmaskin Posted at 8-15 01:01

I wasn't concerned that the home point was not created, as I would be flying the Spark at very low altitudes and in close proximity. I figured that as long as I had GPS connection, and "gtreen light to go" it would still behave normally.

Hi,

Oke, as long as you know why and what you are doing, no problems to colour outside the lines :-), but be careful always.

Interesting to read > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilution_of_precision_(navigation)

My SW > https://forum.dji.com/thread-145649-1-1.html (update in several weeks from now)

Happy many safe landings.
cheers
JJB
2019-8-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Flygmaskin Posted at 8-15 00:31
Thank you for your help Stephen!

I went back to the location with the same Spark, around the same time of day as during the crash. As you kindly suggested, I checked the channels in the Wifi settings and there were no interference at all. In that aspect the location seems perfectly suited for flying. I did not take off however, since I don't really know whats wrong with the aircraft

Thank you for the additional information Flygmaskin. With regards to this matter there might be an issue with the drone internally after the said crash that is why the error message is showing. It is best to send it in for us to check the said drone entirely and fix the said issue as well. Thank you.
2019-8-17
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Flygmaskin Posted at 8-15 01:01

But this is a sign for no "real" P-GPS Mode.
"I wasn't concerned that the home point was not created, as I would be flying the Spark at very low altitudes and in close proximity. I figured that as long as I had GPS connection, and "gtreen light to go" it would still behave normally."
As soon you really have a stabil position reading, it is recording a homepoint.
This is guesswork, now:
Since you still can be in P-GPS, after your HP is recorded, but the GPS reading goes under 10, it is my opinion, that the spark can do with "just 6 sats from ONE of the TWO  (Glonass/GPS)", AFTER it had a proper position, first.
So you may have had 10 sats, seeing, but not the 5 or 6 from ONE system,  to get a 100% positioning out of it.
Which can then drop into atti, quickly.
But:
If I understand your flight record right, you flew all the time with (in) the vision sensors (height), anyway.
And got for a little time a GPS "situation" (HP-recorded), followed by dropping sat numbers
So, how did the brightness changed, during your flight?
It had to switch back to VPS, didn't it?
2019-8-17
Use props
Flygmaskin
lvl.2
Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-17 08:25
Thank you for the additional information Flygmaskin. With regards to this matter there might be an issue with the drone internally after the said crash that is why the error message is showing. It is best to send it in for us to check the said drone entirely and fix the said issue as well. Thank you.

Thank you, I have now opened a repair ticket. Am I understanding correctly that shipping labels will be sent to me in a couple of days?
2019-8-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Flygmaskin Posted at 8-17 10:11
Thank you, I have now opened a repair ticket. Am I understanding correctly that shipping labels will be sent to me in a couple of days?

You are very much welcome Flygmaskin. It is great to know that you have opened a repair ticket for the said drone. Yes, the shipping label will be sent to you through the email that you have provided. Please check your email messages from time to time for the said shipping label. Please keep us posted on the said issue for us to be able to help you further. Thank you.
2019-8-17
Use props
Flygmaskin
lvl.2
Sweden

S-e-ven Posted at 8-17 08:48
"I wasn't concerned that the home point was not created, as I would be flying the Spark at very low altitudes and in close proximity. I figured that as long as I had GPS connection, and "gtreen light to go" it would still behave normally."

Will surely keep that in mind for future flights, that if a homepoint is not created, something might be wrong. Thank you.

You might be on to something there, regarding the number of availible satelIites from the different systems. At some point, I had (although briefly) 11-12 satellites with strong signal, meaning that I must have had a minimum of six satellites from either system atleast at that specific time. Top number of sats were 13, but the signal was not strong.

Not sure if I understood your question correct, but regarding the VPS, the strange thing is that the AC never got into Opti mode. If it had done so, it might not have nudged the tree. Instead it kept going for P-GPS. Went into ATTI-mode for less then a second, but no Opti.

The brightness did not change during the flight. Availiable light was definitely well above the lower limit of the VPS at 15 lux. The camera was able to give good enough image, so the VPS should also get a "clear view".

I have created a repair ticket and will ship the AC in to DJI for assesment. If the incident was caused by user error, then I will learn from it and not make the same mistake again. If it was caused by some malfunction or unwanted behavior of the AC in the specific conditions, then perhaps we all can learn from it.
2019-8-17
Use props
Flygmaskin
lvl.2
Sweden

JJB* Posted at 8-15 01:17
Hi,

Oke, as long as you know why and what you are doing, no problems to colour outside the lines :-), but be careful always.

I know atleast SOME of what I am doing ;) Tons to learn still!

Btw, absolutely terrific software you created! I really respect that, especially concidering how many many hours you have to put in! Can't say that I grasp even half of the software and the functions yet, but still. Thank you for your time and great work!
2019-8-17
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

S-e-ven Posted at 8-17 08:48

Hiya,

DJI GPS`s uses GPS and GLONASS at the same time, so no need to have 6 of GPS or 6 of GLONASS to have a proper GPS lock.

Ofcourse more satellites the better, as we do not know wich satellites where in the sky are as we do receive them. If some are 'close' to each other the accurancy is is worse than if they are spread out in the sky.

cheers
JJB
2019-8-17
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Flygmaskin Posted at 8-17 10:32
I know atleast SOME of what I am doing ;) Tons to learn still!

Btw, absolutely terrific software you created! I really respect that, especially concidering how many many hours you have to put in! Can't say that I grasp even half of the software and the functions yet, but still. Thank you for your time and great work!

thanks, if any question arises do ask or ask via a PM

cheers
JJB
2019-8-17
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

JJB* Posted at 8-17 10:32
Hiya,

DJI GPS`s uses GPS and GLONASS at the same time, so no need to have 6 of GPS or 6 of GLONASS to have a proper GPS lock.

Yes, it is using both.
But doesn't it NEED minimum 6 sats from one system, to get into P-GPS?
10 can be 4 and 6, or 5 and 5, or even 7 and 3, imho
Can you read anything about that in the logs?
Edit:
Or is it just a coincidence, that mostly we need minimum 11 to get the first HP set?
2019-8-17
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

Flygmaskin Posted at 8-17 10:29
Will surely keep that in mind for future flights, that if a homepoint is not created, something might be wrong. Thank you.

You might be on to something there, regarding the number of availible satelIites from the different systems. At some point, I had (although briefly) 11-12 satellites with strong signal, meaning that I must have had a minimum of six satellites from either system atleast at that specific time. Top number of sats were 13, but the signal was not strong.

I do not agree:
At some point, I had (although briefly) 11-12 satellites with strong signal, meaning that I must have had a minimum of six satellites from either system atleast at that specific time. Top number of sats were 13, but the signal was not strong.

10 to 11 sats got you  the homepoint
which seems to be 5+6, at that point.
But even 13 sats just mean, your drone reads 13 sats. It is not telling you, if that are 10 of the one, and just 3 of the other.
In my understanding, the Positioning works just with ENOUGH sats from minimum one system.

And that the camera gets you a picture, that does not mean, that the VPS can SEE clear any structure on the ground. Which it needs, to correct it's own wind, perhaps (so close to ground and trees)

But lets see what DJI reads, hopefully you get a malfunction!
2019-8-17
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

S-e-ven Posted at 8-17 10:49
Yes, it is using both.
But doesn't it NEED minimum 6 sats from one system, to get into P-GPS?
10 can be 4 and 6, or 5 and 5, or even 7 and 3, imho

As far i i can see in the DAT files it achieves a GPS lock, if the conditions are good, when having 7 or 8 sattellites,  any combination will do the job.

So no need to have or wait for 11 (that`s minimal 6 from GPS or GLNAS).
But more is better ofcourse, the chance of loosing 2 or more satellites (urban flying / woods etc) at the same time increases when they are 'clustered' in the sky, wich we cannot see at just the shown numbers.

cheers
JJB

2019-8-17
Use props
Flygmaskin
lvl.2
Sweden

S-e-ven Posted at 8-17 10:57
I do not agree:
At some point, I had (although briefly) 11-12 satellites with strong signal, meaning that I must have had a minimum of six satellites from either system atleast at that specific time. Top number of sats were 13, but the signal was not strong.

Seems to be different opinions and understandings regarding how many satellites from each system that are required. I always wait until I get atleast 10, preferably 11 until taking off.

I really do hope that DJI will push out firmware that would enable connection tot he Galileo system as well. There is 22 operational satellites I believe, just waiting to be used.

Regarding the VPS and camera light requirements, I don't have any facts to point to. But it seems to me that if the camera is able to get a picture, that the VPS system, which I think use IR, surely also would work and be able to "see" the ground. I might of course be wrong there. And obviously, the VPS system could be unoperational because of other issues, like reflictive surfaces or not enough contrast and such.

As I understand it, Spark tries to use P-GPS first hand. If not working, it tries P-OPTI (using VPS). If that's not working, then it goes to ATTI. I wonder if there is a way to know if the AC tried entering any mode but not succeeding?

Different AC and different systems ofc, but I have flown with the Tello at the same location, in darker conditions. Behaved like a champ

Thanks, I also hope that they will find a malfunction of some sort. If they don't, I hope that they can inform me clearly as to why it happened, so I and others can learn from it and not make the same mistake.
2019-8-18
Use props
Flygmaskin
lvl.2
Sweden

JJB* Posted at 8-17 12:03
As far i i can see in the DAT files it achieves a GPS lock, if the conditions are good, when having 7 or 8 sattellites,  any combination will do the job.

So no need to have or wait for 11 (that`s minimal 6 from GPS or GLNAS).

Seems to be different understandings regarding the required satellites. If i read you correctly, you think that with good reception, it doesn't matter what combination the AC uses. For example, a total number of 8 sats, 4 from GPS and 4 from GLONASS would do the job?

I do hope that is the case!

Agree that more should be better, that's why I really hope Dji will include support for the Galileo satellite system.. I'm sure that would give lots of people all over the world a lot better opportunities to fly in various locations that might not been good before.

I wondered in my post above if there is a way to see if the AC tried to entered P-OPTI but couldn't for some reason. And you just may be the person to ask!
2019-8-18
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

Flygmaskin Posted at 8-18 05:20
Seems to be different understandings regarding the required satellites. If i read you correctly, you think that with good reception, it doesn't matter what combination the AC uses. For example, a total number of 8 sats, 4 from GPS and 4 from GLONASS would do the job?

it seems, the spark, probably all actual DJI drones, support galileo.
But not using it.
My thoughts about: The CPU has to do  a lot without using 3 or all 4 Sat-systems

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=184668
2019-8-18
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

I have not looked that up, perhaps JJB* has a better sight on that, but what I started thinking about the P-GPS, some time ago:
The drone needs more sats, to get into P-GPS as to get out of it (ATTI)
I am not really sure, never had a slow dropping GPS situation myself, my few Attis where mostly "compass", Sport, ...., related: Lots of sats,  ;-), but I think you still can "P-GPS" with just 7 sats.

To get into P-GPS, does the drone need more as 4 sats from one system? Only DJI knows!
I think I have read once a topic (somewhere), about how many sats you need to get INTO P-GPS.
If I recall that right, some reported 9, others 10 or 11.
BEFORE P-GPS and "Homepoint recorded"
My Sparks are doing so at 10 or 11.
Taking in account that sometimes more as one sat is showing up in the same timeframe, I would assume that 8 is the real number to go for.
If DJI wants a confirmed GPS location from both systems.
And in case they just need ONE 3D confirmation, but another 2D to be save, probably even 7 would be enough.
Just you never know, unless there is a log, which sats get into "sight" and considered as confirmed at which time of the process.

To P-GPS, VPS, ATTI:

P-GPS is Master, VPS is just available for up to 5 or 6m height, in case P-GPS fails.
And higher up then that, no P-GPS means always ATTI!

And I am not sure that VPS could handle Sport in just 4 or 5 m height!
Would probably be also always Atti, as long you move the bird "sportiv"
2019-8-18
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Flygmaskin Posted at 8-18 05:20

Yes, DJI will use both signals simultaneously from GPS and GLNAS satellites, so 4 and 4 will do for DJI to show "READY TO GO (GPS)". Have to check in DAT files in i can find 3 and 4 etc.
But more is better!

For me no need for Galileo, where i fly in europe i have always more than enough satellites with good reception.

If always call P-OPTI just OPTI, it uses the visible front, rear and bottom sensors to hold a stabilized position, so GPS signals are not used. If outside the sensor range OPTI is not an option so Spark will go form P-GPS or SPORT mode into ATTI when A) satellites number/reception goes bad or B) when an error is there (yaw, compass, imu, ect) and the DJI SW will kill the use of the sat signals.

BTW  A) not often seen in my experience B) too often see on a SPARK

And no, you cannot see in the app during flight when things starts to go wrong, only shortly after you get the ATTI message and audio!! (so i have my audio setting to the max)

If you have a capable mobile device, start to use a screen recorder each flight.  I use DU recorder (android).

cheers
JJB

2019-8-18
Use props
Flygmaskin
lvl.2

After about seven weeks, the Spark is now back with me. There have been alot of communication, some deal of misunderstanding, some data files and logs being sent in again and again.. I was asked to provide the Black Box data from the AC (which I had..) but that was a little hard, being that the AC was in DJI's care and not in mine.. My case also was confused with some other persons case, which regarded a Phantom 4..

At first, they assesed the damage and said 'No warranty', without examining the data files! That was eventually sorted out when I asked them to check the files/logs.

So lots of errors, but DJI's conclusion finally was that it was pilot error for flying in an unsuitable environment without connection to GPS. Sadly, no real answer regarding the technical questions I had, of which I am interested in. I would like to learn more about the AC, how it should behave in certain conditions and such.. In the flight, there was connection to GPS, but signal value (reception) varied quite a bit. In the exact moment of impact, there was connection with strong reception, but it drifted and touched a tree anyway. Also no answer as to why the AC didn't revert to OPTI-mode, using its sensors instead of GPS, since it was not available.

So, pilot error but they offered 30% off for the repairs.

My personal understanding/conclusion is something like "NO, you shouldn't be flying in the forest, even though you have several times before, NO, if the reception have varied, you cannot trust the AC to stay still even if you get lots of satellites connected with strong signal and NO, don't expect the AC to flawlessly change to P-OPTI if it looses GPS reception and also "YES, the AC should atleast on paper have behaved differenty in this situation, YES, you did have strong enough reception in the logs and YES, it should atleast on paper have changed to P-OPTI" hence the 30% offer. My own opinion is that it is fair. I am happy with that. Even if the AC on papper should be able to handle the situation/location, it might not be too wise to trust it dead on.. A more suitable location could be found.

The damage assesment did surprise me quite a bit.. I include it here, hoping that someone might have use for it:

Remark: No warranty. • Physical damage. Middle frame is damaged. • Functional damage: Gimbal shakes. Motor 1, 3, 4 make abnormal sounds. Fan makes abnormal sound. No GPS issue was found during the test.

Item List

Middle Frame Semi-finished Product Module (Excluding ESC and Motor)
Quantity: 1
Net Price : 11.57
Total Net: 11.57

Motor
Quantity: 3
Net Price : 8.26
Total Net: 24.78

Gimbal Roll & Pitch Axis Module
Net Price : 18.18
Total Net: 18.18

Fan
Net Price : 9.92
Tot Advanced al Net: 9.92

Repair Service Fee
Net Price : 50.00

Total Net: 50.00

Freight

--------

Seems I had really bad luck, a fall in soft moss from 1.5 meters broke or damaged all those parts.. The mid-frame, I noticed at home, that it actually was damaged, just under a motor, there was a crack. guess there could have been some root or rock under the moss.. The motors and fan though, I thought they sounded perfectly fine, the motors performed fine at the flight the day after.. Anyhow, I'm glad DJI found the problem with the abnormally sounding motors and fan, so that the parts could be replaced.. Wouldn't want to risk something going wrong do to motor failure in future flights..

Got a new quote with 30% off and with it, I had some questions about the cost of the shipping. DJI use UPS and wanted €35 + 25% VAT for the shipping, but when asking UPS, they quoted €16. I am sure that there must have been a mistake from UPS part when they quoted DJI the €35... Got a new quote for parts, repairs and with reduced shipping and no VAT since UPS includes it in their quote. I was happy to accept this quote.

After some correspondence with the same DJI employee which managed most of the process from start to finish, I even got the exchanged parts shipped back to me. Expecting the package to arrive today.

The employee was fast in writing replies, not always so precise in answering questions, but it seemed that he read what I wrote and he took good care of the case in general.

At first, they pointed to their policy, which dictates that replaced parts become the property of DJi, and the new parts become the property of the customer. Hence, they were not able to send me the exchanged parts back. Since this is Europe, I pointed out that the new parts have been payed for by me. The old parts have also been payed for by me, and I payed the service center to perform the repair/change. Thus I am entitled to have my property back if I wish. If I left my car to a repair shop and purchased parts from them and payed them to exchange them, I would get the old parts back if I asked them. Also, the service policy they pointed to, only covered returns, warranty repairs and possibly Dji Care Refresh. This was neither.

The employee checked with the 'Repair line service manager' and he agreed, I should have my parts back. For some reason, they said that the main core control board also was exchanged, but it wasn't listed on the quote.. Seems weird. I asked to have the exchanged board returned to me as well, but that was not possible, since I had not payed for that board. I found that fair, no problems there. I would like to know why they exchanged it though..

Anyway, one would hope that all is good here, but unfortunately not. I will post a new thread about it. I tried to test the Spark yesterday, after activating it, it was not able to take off due to No GPS (I used beginner mode, want to test the unit slow and easy) and even if it could take off, I wouldn't have, since the compass was heavily interferred, up to 1600 something, the red bar being full. I changed location four times, several kilometers away, still no luck. I have not calibrated the compass yet.

Strange errors after just getting back from service.. It finds 10-13 satellites, but get no reception. I waited a long time, didn't help.

I hope that someone found the post above useful.

Thank you to DJI for repairing my AC for a (in the end) fair price and for listening to the customers wish to have his parts back (as regulated by european customer agency). Let's hope that the errors I got will be sorted out without me having to send the AC back to The Netherlands..

thumbnail_file1.jpg
thumbnail_file3.jpg
2019-10-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules