Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
External microphone keeps disconnecting
1640 7 2019-8-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chrisnatterer
lvl.1
Germany

The microphone keeps disconnecting, while I'm recording videos.
I doubt it's the microphone since any plug should just register as a resistance.

There is also a significant delay between me plugging in the external adapter, and the Osmo recognizing it, and plugging in a microphone, and the Osmo recognizing that.

After the poor quality of the accessories (wifi adapter, that won't work with the microphone adapter, and seems to fail to charge with most cables), I don't know if this is possibly the behavior that DJI considers "normal".

2019-8-12
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

There are some microphones that don't appear to have enough volume output to trigger the DJI audio adapter. If you search the forums you will find plenty of complaints about certain mics that don't work.
As to your second point please go to my thread on the topic. Here

There are a few unanswered questions some of us would like answers to. I suspect my second point in my thread could be some clue as to why certain microphones won't work.

2019-8-13
Use props
chrisnatterer
lvl.1
Germany

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 8-13 01:18
There are some microphones that don't appear to have enough volume output to trigger the DJI audio adapter. If you search the forums you will find plenty of complaints about certain mics that don't work.
As to your second point please go to my thread on the topic. Here

Thanks, that is helpful.

Maybe time to get a new mic, even though I feel like it was working initially without any issues.
2019-8-13
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

chrisnatterer Posted at 8-13 05:08
Thanks, that is helpful.

Maybe time to get a new mic, even though I feel like it was working initially without any issues.

Out of interest, what microphone is it?
2019-8-13
Use props
chrisnatterer
lvl.1
Germany

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 8-13 06:39
Out of interest, what microphone is it?

Audio-Technica ATR-3350IS Omnidirectional Condenser Lavalier Mic
2019-8-13
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

chrisnatterer Posted at 8-13 09:18
Audio-Technica ATR-3350IS Omnidirectional Condenser Lavalier Mic

Maybe another one to add to the list of not working mics. It should be a good microphone. Rhode condenser mics also seem to not work too well with the DJI adapter. Some very cheap mics and some other makes do seem compatible though such as the Saramonic range. Some work but don't give very good levels. It's also been found that best results come when you leave the audio volume on the Pocket set to auto. It seems mics that take their power from the Pocket rather than powered mics seem to fare better.
2019-8-13
Use props
chrisnatterer
lvl.1
Germany

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 8-13 11:40
Maybe another one to add to the list of not working mics. It should be a good microphone. Rhode condenser mics also seem to not work too well with the DJI adapter. Some very cheap mics and some other makes do seem compatible though such as the Saramonic range. Some work but don't give very good levels. It's also been found that best results come when you leave the audio volume on the Pocket set to auto. It seems mics that take their power from the Pocket rather than powered mics seem to fare better.

Could it be a faulty unit? Someone posted a video in another thread of someone testing two different units of the microphone adapter. One seems to work far better than the other.
2019-8-13
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

chrisnatterer Posted at 8-13 13:11
Could it be a faulty unit? Someone posted a video in another thread of someone testing two different units of the microphone adapter. One seems to work far better than the other.

Early on a few of us on the forum published the results of our audio adaptors. Some of us using the same or similar mics had the same results as each other so I don't think so. Certainly, there were problems with some units but my results were the same as others who had the least problems. I do wonder about the fact there have been no new Osmo Pocket audio adapters for sale on the DJI site for some time now and no audio adapter made available yet for the Osmo Action.
I've looked at teardown videos on the net and found which analog to digital audio converters were used and found the spec sheets for those converters and read them. There are warnings about how to use them in production in those specs and how they should be put to use and additional components needed to resolve those issues that need implementation as well as how to program them if they have used the programmable version of the chip.
However, so far DJI has not responded to one request about specs or answered any specific questions put forward by users as far as I'm aware. Maybe it can be fixed by a firmware update when plugged into the Pocket or maybe the problems will persist, or maybe DJI feels the audio adapters are working to spec and some of us users are being too fussy about the results we are getting.

For instance, DJI continually insists the audio unit is dual-channel but stop short of ever saying it is stereo which users have clearly demonstrated it is not and asked why not.
DJI  initially made the use of the two internal mics to noise cancel outside wind noise (hence the odd positioning of the mics on the Osmo Pockets body) but there were a lot of complaints about the quality of the audio from the inbuilt mics. There was a subsequent firmware update that improved that but no explanation of how it was achieved. Not that any was needed as most people were pleased with the upgraded quality of the audio output from the internal mics even though wind noise cancelation decreased as a result. That was preferable to the previous audio quality of the output.

This was all done before the release of the audio adapter. If that update has somehow affected how the audio adapter now works with the Pocket, no-one knows or can guess at.

The audio adapter seems to be as it is with some mics like yours that in theory should work but don't.
No-ne really as a good explanation as to why.

I'm detecting a DC offset I hadn't noticed before on my recordings but on backward review of earlier recordings I made seems to have always been there but I hadn't noticed. So far no-one here has replied to my post to say they have a similar result or not. Maybe they haven't seen my post or no longer care that much anymore and are resigned to the results as they are 'good enough'  to work with.

I would have liked some replies to see if it was just my unit or not but without feedback from other users, I can't honestly say. It could be a fault with my unit that doesn't exist in other units but I don't think so.

I can work with my unit. The quality is sufficient to work with additional external editing but removing DC offset from every clip will be an extra bit of editing I would prefer not to have to do.

Some users have resorted to using a separate recording device so as to get a stereo soundtrack and have affectively abandoned using the Pockets audio beyond may be using it to sync to their external recorders, so maybe no longer care.

I just feel your mic should have worked along with a lot of other mics that don't work and I'm a bit miffed there are no real explanations.
2019-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules