Recommended power bank
11131 32 2019-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jaboos
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi guys.

Can you recommend me some strong power bank?

My problem - I tried timelapse during whole night with Osmo pocket connected to 16000 mAh Xiaomi power bank (5,1V). At the morning, Osmo pocket has been dead, stopped capturing after like 3 hours and power bank was almost full. I know, that Osmo has been charging at the beggining but obviously power bank stopped charging in some time...

Any advice?

Thank you in advance!
2019-8-13
Use props
CasualDronePilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 146135 ft
Sweden

I use a GP 10400mAh Powerbank. Never had any issues with it. Use it both with the Osmo Pocket and with my Zoom H4n Pro when I need to run my shotgun mic on phantom power.
2019-8-13
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

I have had the power bank power off while the Pocket is filming. It probably has something to do with its ability to supply other devices, such as the extension rod. It also "charges" many phones.

Possibly the power banks see this as a "full" signal.
2019-8-13
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're sure that our valued DJI Forum members would provide the power bank that you may need in regard to this situation. Thank you for your support.
2019-8-13
Use props
Essjay
lvl.3
United Kingdom

So what ever happened to the statement DJI made originally about NOT using external power with the OP whilst recording to avoid overheating?
@Dji Tony, are you now saying it’s not a problem?
2019-8-13
Use props
Diana72
New

India

The best power bank that i recommend is the Anker Power Core 20100 power bank that comes with two ports so you can charge two devices at once. It it also light weight and very well designed.
2019-8-14
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

I use the Mophie Power Boost XL.  It's a fantastic external power source.  I've used it a few times on my GoPro for 8 hour timelapses, which only 1 out of the 4 LED power indicators went down each time.  It does take a while to charge fully, though this thing has been tested (at least by me) and passed.
https://www.amazon.com/mophie-Po ... 26&s=gateway&sr=8-4
2019-8-14
Use props
jaboos
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thank you all for your replies.

But I want to know, if you really have experiences with using these power banks with Osmo pocket, for some longer shooting (5+ hours)...

2019-8-14
Use props
jaboos
lvl.2

United Kingdom

For example Anker Power core has output 5V, same as my Xiaomi... so I m afraid, that it is not enough.
2019-8-14
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
United States

jaboos Posted at 8-14 03:34
Thank you all for your replies.

But I want to know, if you really have experiences with using these power banks with Osmo pocket, for some longer shooting (5+ hours)...

Sounds like a challenge.  I'll let you know by tomorrow.
2019-8-14
Use props
jaboos
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Neo Supreme Posted at 8-14 03:42
Sounds like a challenge.  I'll let you know by tomorrow.

THX man
2019-8-14
Use props
Sam Video
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Another vote for the Anker Power Core 20100 from me, great bit of kit.
2019-8-14
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

jaboos Posted at 8-14 03:38
For example Anker Power core has output 5V, same as my Xiaomi... so I m afraid, that it is not enough.

All power banks will be 5v usb output, it’s the mAh capacity your interested in, larger the better !
2019-8-14
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
United States

Okay, I don't really have to wait until tomorrow.  I'm about 3 and a half hours into a time lapse, with my mophie power bank.  It definitely will work with the OP, BUT, I periodically had to press the power button on the external battery to keep power to the OP, as for some reason, the OP causes the external battery to disengage.  Probably because of the internal battery config of the OP.  The external battery is indeed charging it though.  Unfortunately, you can't just 'set it and forget it'.  You'd have to be around enough, to make sure that the OP is getting a proper charge for the time lapse duration.
When I used it for those 8 hour long GoPro6 time lapses, I had taken out the GoPro battery, as the camera was not picking up the external battery.
So, at least with this specific Mophie brand external battery, internal camera batteries will negate it's effectiveness.  I can remove the GoPro battery, which works for an unsupervised capture, but not with the OP.
2019-8-14
Use props
jaboos
lvl.2

United Kingdom

MKosmo Posted at 8-14 07:14
All power banks will be 5v usb output, it’s the mAh capacity your interested in, larger the better !

As I wrote - I have capacity 16000 mAh. Problem was, that OP stopped charging.
2019-8-14
Use props
jaboos
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Neo Supreme Posted at 8-14 07:23
Okay, I don't really have to wait until tomorrow.  I'm about 3 and a half hours into a time lapse, with my mophie power bank.  It definitely will work with the OP, BUT, I periodically had to press the power button on the external battery to keep power to the OP, as for some reason, the OP causes the external battery to disengage.  Probably because of the internal battery config of the OP.  The external battery is indeed charging it though.  Unfortunately, you can't just 'set it and forget it'.  You'd have to be around enough, to make sure that the OP is getting a proper charge for the time lapse duration.
When I used it for those 8 hour long GoPro6 time lapses, I had taken out the GoPro battery, as the camera was not picking up the external battery.
So, at least with this specific Mophie brand external battery, internal camera batteries will negate it's effectiveness.  I can remove the GoPro battery, which works for an unsupervised capture, but not with the OP.

Yeah this is problem. So for now, I can not see any way, how to leave OP on power bank for whole night (e.g. 10 hours) :/
2019-8-14
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I don't know whether there's such a thing as an unintelligent power bank, which would keep supplying power even when the battery is full?
2019-8-15
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
United States

jaboos Posted at 8-14 21:56
Yeah this is problem. So for now, I can not see any way, how to leave OP on power bank for whole night (e.g. 10 hours) :/

The only way that would be able to happen, is to somehow remove the internal battery, but, unlike the GoPro, the OP doesn't allow that, without some serious warranty voiding.
2019-8-15
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 8-15 01:47
I don't know whether there's such a thing as an unintelligent power bank, which would keep supplying power even when the battery is full?

The thing I noticed, was that my OP wasn't at full capacity.  When I started the time lapse, it was at around 50% or 60%.  I would figure that the external battery would have provided continuous charge, until the OP internal battery was full.  I guess that won't happen if it is in use and actively capturing.  Again, I had an issue with using the external battery with my GoPro as well, with the internal battery stil installed.
2019-8-15
Use props
Wolffvisuals
Flight distance : 73130 ft
Germany

I just bought my 3th Powerbank for the OP, because i mainly bought it to do timelapses for more than 24h with it.
Reading this now is a huge downer..
Has anybody found a workaround by now ?? There got to be someway to permanently charge it with a powerbank or something else... =/
2020-8-29
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

You could try a power bank with a trickle charge output to slow the charging rate down and make sure the Osmo Pocket has about 20% charge before starting.  I don't know if it would work if the tickle charge isn't sufficient to keep the Pocket charged enough in use but worth a try.
https://www.anker.com/products/v ... lite-20000/A1269011
2020-8-30
Use props
Wolffvisuals
Germany

Wow.. I wasn't even aware that this mode exists. But it appears that the last Anker powerbank I bought has a trickle modus! So i just set up a timelapse overnight with trickle mode turned on. I will let you guys know tomorrow if it worked.. That would be more than amazing! Thank you very much for the idea!!
2020-8-30
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Wolffvisuals Posted at 8-30 16:46
Wow.. I wasn't even aware that this mode exists. But it appears that the last Anker powerbank I bought has a trickle modus! So i just set up a timelapse overnight with trickle mode turned on. I will let you guys know tomorrow if it worked.. That would be more than amazing! Thank you very much for the idea!!

So now you have two additional options to try out. If the trickle charge doesn't keep up, charge the Pocket to max before starting and see how long it takes to drain down and switch off.
If the trickle charge is too high and reaches maximum then start the Pocket with a low charge.

Ray.
2020-8-31
Use props
Wolffvisuals
Germany

Okay here´s what i found.

I started a timelapse with the pocket on 25% charge and trickel mode on the powerbank turned on. The Pocket slowly charged till 80% and then was steady for a few hours. After 2-3 hours the powerbank turned off and the Pocket started to lost power until it was empty.
So that technique gave me a total timelapse time of 7-8 hours without touching anything.
On one go, i turned the powerbank back on after that timeframe, which gave me another 4-5 hours.

If the Pocket is charged, then it won´t work, and you just get the normal runtime plus one charge.

Maybe that helps anybody. Thanks again for the suggestion Ray! Highly appreciate it!

Mike
2020-9-14
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Wolffvisuals Posted at 9-14 07:02
Okay here´s what i found.

I started a timelapse with the pocket on 25% charge and trickel mode on the powerbank turned on. The Pocket slowly charged till 80% and then was steady for a few hours. After 2-3 hours the powerbank turned off and the Pocket started to lost power until it was empty.

Thanks for getting back with the results.
I was beginning to think it might have been a bust.
That's not bad is it? Assuming you could risk going down to14 % charge that may add another hour or so.
My main concern is leaving a sensor on for that long, but assuming there is a bit of rest for it between images I'm not sure if that eventually would lead to hot pixels or not. How hot did the body get?

Ray.
2020-9-14
Use props
LTCSZ
lvl.1
United States

You need a power bank with an "always on" feature...Many devices which use very little power will not draw enough and the power bank will shut itself down, thinking that the battery is fully charged. Check the Voltaic brand.
2020-10-2
Use props
fansd93d5487
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United States

LTCSZ Posted at 10-2 13:17
You need a power bank with an "always on" feature...Many devices which use very little power will not draw enough and the power bank will shut itself down, thinking that the battery is fully charged. Check the Voltaic brand.

Like this with trickle-charge for low power devices?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HBTY3Z2/
Edit - I see this was tried.
2020-10-2
Use props
sandeepB
New

India

I have 2 Smartphones and I have tried many power banks for my phone over the years. They worked fine and when it comes to replacing the old power banks, I found that Ambrane branded power bank is highly recommended as it is not just to charge mobiles, but it can also charge your laptop and other devices. There is an Ambrane India PP-150 15000 mah powerbank which resembles the following preview: https://ambraneindia.com/collections/power-banks-1

It has a power capacity of up to 15000 mah and is equipped with 2 different types of ports, Type-C port and a USB port. So, as I mentioned, you can charge your laptop as well as your mobile phone. Practical and suitable for different types and brands of mobile phones. This is a very good option. I purchased it for my mobile needs and found it really very helpfulI that’s why I can recommend it to the community. Hope this answer helps.
2020-11-2
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

sandeepB Posted at 11-2 02:21
I have 2 Smartphones and I have tried many power banks for my phone over the years. They worked fine and when it comes to replacing the old power banks, I found that Ambrane branded power bank is highly recommended as it is not just to charge mobiles, but it can also charge your laptop and other devices. There is an Ambrane India PP-150 15000 mah powerbank which resembles the following preview: https://ambraneindia.com/collections/power-banks-1

[view_image]

The post query is for a power bank that remains on either via selecting an always on mode or one that remains on with only a small trickle charge current being drawn.

Does the power bank you are advertising do this ?
2020-11-2
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

jaboos Posted at 2019-8-14 21:55
As I wrote - I have capacity 16000 mAh. Problem was, that OP stopped charging.

For example Anker Power core has output 5V, same as my Xiaomi... so I m afraid, that it is not enough..  
2020-11-2
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

2020-11-2
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

2020-11-2
Use props
Vedant Singh Thakur
New

India

I am looking for best deal to buy osmo pocket 2 creator combo in India. Please let me know if you know any good place.
Thankyou,
Vedant
2021-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules