Is anyone having fun with their Osmo Pocket?
795 19 2019-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fat Controller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 155246 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have to say I'm really having fun with my Osmo Pocket. Prior to buying it I only used a camera and a Mavic Pro, and even the Mavic was getting used mostly for still photos rather than video. Since buying the Osmo Pocket I seem to be gradually switching over to doing more video and less photo. I've posted a few videos on the 'Works' part of the forum and have received favourable comments. My video editing skills were non-existent before, I like to think they're somewhat improved now, and getting better all the time with practice. I'm just curious what other users think. Have you switched to video and ditched the photos? Do you always have your Osmo Pocket with you? Is it one of your favourite gadgets? I know it's rapidly becoming my favourite out of all the gadgets I own, mainly as it's so handy to have with me.
2019-8-13
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Having a blast with mine, but very much ‘rubbish’ at producing the smooth videos that others have here. Need to learn fast.
2019-8-13
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

Love the OP, I take it with me most of the time but it was awesome to have on vacation.  I'm 50/50 on the video/picture ratio and it's definitely my favorite gadget.
2019-8-13
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

Beautiful camera.  I initially only used it as a backup camera for my podcasts, but when I took that thing outside, man, the possibilities are endless for a full production arsenal.
2019-8-13
Use props
Robb OConnor
Second Officer
United Kingdom

To be honest I was losing interest in photography as a hobby then I sold all my canon DSLR kit and bought a Panasonic fz82 superzoom bridge camera to replace it so one camera does all just to rekindle my interest as it packed full of modes for photo and video. I then bought my Osmo Pocket and have fallen in love with it and like original poster swinging towards video .
It’s always with me but it’s a learning curve for me still  but am enjoying it thoroughly and it also mixing with the Panasonic and the great thing is the fact they are both small I’m not weighed down with heavy gadget bags .
I will eventually have the confidence to post some of my efforts
But yes I am totally  hooked on the osmo pocket
2019-8-13
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sure that our valued DJI Forum members would provide their feedback on having our Osmo Pocket! We highly appreciate your feedback to our Osmo Pocket. Cheers!
2019-8-13
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Agreed, I’ve always had video cameras and stills but this has easily been the most fun camera I’ve owned.  I think it’s hit a real sweet spot of quality vs size, so there really is no reason not to take it anywhere. I also think YouTube has a bearing - the amount of videos shared , tutorials etc .... has upped the level.

The only drawback is the osmo action does make a nice partner with the pocket so ended up with both .....
2019-8-13
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Carrying it in my pocket everyday.
It just make your video shooting much easier and convenient.
I shoot and made so many video since I got this camera.
Just love it.
2019-8-13
Use props
Fat Controller
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ChrisJG Posted at 8-13 03:25
Having a blast with mine, but very much ‘rubbish’ at producing the smooth videos that others have here. Need to learn fast.

The footage I shoot is for my own enjoyment but I like to share it with friends, family and anyone else who cares to watch it. I have no ambitions to be a professional videographer and some of my videos have jerky bits or odd movements but I'm fairly happy with the results. You'll find editing gets easier the more you do.  
2019-8-13
Use props
Fat Controller
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Robb OConnor Posted at 8-13 08:14
To be honest I was losing interest in photography as a hobby then I sold all my canon DSLR kit and bought a Panasonic fz82 superzoom bridge camera to replace it so one camera does all just to rekindle my interest as it packed full of modes for photo and video. I then bought my Osmo Pocket and have fallen in love with it and like original poster swinging towards video .
It’s always with me but it’s a learning curve for me still  but am enjoying it thoroughly and it also mixing with the Panasonic and the great thing is the fact they are both small I’m not weighed down with heavy gadget bags .
I will eventually have the confidence to post some of my efforts

I've got a Nikon D200 with several lenses and other kit that is now packed away in a wardrobe. I got fed up carrying loads of heavy gear so now I carry a Panasonic Lumix (LX100) and my Osmo Pocket and that covers most of my needs. Occasionally I'll take my Mavic Pro along too but I'm now travelling with a lot less weight.
2019-8-13
Use props
Fat Controller
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MKosmo Posted at 8-13 09:19
Agreed, I’ve always had video cameras and stills but this has easily been the most fun camera I’ve owned.  I think it’s hit a real sweet spot of quality vs size, so there really is no reason not to take it anywhere. I also think YouTube has a bearing - the amount of videos shared , tutorials etc .... has upped the level.

The only drawback is the osmo action does make a nice partner with the pocket so ended up with both .....

If I get an Osmo Action I'll have to go camp in my garden. My wife will throw me out if I buy any more gadgets.
2019-8-13
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fat Controller Posted at 8-13 12:19
If I get an Osmo Action I'll have to go camp in my garden. My wife will throw me out if I buy any more gadgets.

Try telling your wife that cameras are like shoes, you wouldn’t be so mean as to let you wife have only 1 pair of shoes would you! Cameras for different occasions. Also, be glad your not an astronomer, my largest telescope, is a 5 inch refractor, there’s no way I could have slipped that in unnoticed, but a teeny tiny action camera
2019-8-13
Use props
Fat Controller
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ChrisJG Posted at 8-13 13:11
Try telling your wife that cameras are like shoes, you wouldn’t be so mean as to let you wife have only 1 pair of shoes would you! Cameras for different occasions. Also, be glad your not an astronomer, my largest telescope, is a 5 inch refractor, there’s no way I could have slipped that in unnoticed, but a teeny tiny action camera

I love your idea, but I don't think she'd believe me if I told her I needed as many cameras as she has shoes. Not to worry, I can always request money instead of a present for my birthday and put in the few £extra needed
2019-8-14
Use props
Roger1167
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1510728 ft
  • >>>
United States

I also love my Osmo Pocket.  I take it at least 75% of the time.  

2019-8-14
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I am convinced that if my Pocket is not in my pocket, something amazing will happen in front of me and I'll miss it.  So it's always with me.  But nothing ever happens.  Such is life.
2019-8-15
Use props
Fat Controller
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 8-15 01:44
I am convinced that if my Pocket is not in my pocket, something amazing will happen in front of me and I'll miss it.  So it's always with me.  But nothing ever happens.  Such is life.

Yes, but just try leaving it at home and you'll probably find loads of exciting stuff happens, that's always the way of it
2019-8-15
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

Plus, I started using Adobe Premiere to edit 4K/60fps footage.  I usually used Vegas, which is still great, though it can't handle raw 4K HEVC/H.265 files smoothly.  So going forward, I believe I'll use that format on my OP and GoPro 6.
2019-8-15
Use props
griffdude13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53507 ft
  • >>>
United States

ChrisJG Posted at 8-13 03:25

A lot of that comes down to editing. For example, you might shoot 40 seconds of video, but only 4-5 seconds of it hits that threshold for being smooth, aesthetically pleasing, etc.

It helps to get the walk down. You want to bend your knees a bit and roll your feet heel to toe when you walk, which will help combat the "bobbing" effect you see with a lot of gimbal video. There's a misconception that these handheld gimbals will do all the work for you, but that's just not the case without a little practice and technique.
2019-8-15
Use props
Calor1030
lvl.3

United States

I love my Pocket and I carry it with me always
2019-8-15
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

griffdude13 Posted at 8-15 10:57
A lot of that comes down to editing. For example, you might shoot 40 seconds of video, but only 4-5 seconds of it hits that threshold for being smooth, aesthetically pleasing, etc.

It helps to get the walk down. You want to bend your knees a bit and roll your feet heel to toe when you walk, which will help combat the "bobbing" effect you see with a lot of gimbal video. There's a misconception that these handheld gimbals will do all the work for you, but that's just not the case without a little practice and technique.

Thank you, I’d heard of the ‘gimbal walk’ so more practice needed. Thanks for the advice.
Chris
2019-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules