Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mic Adapter - What you need to know
831 4 2019-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KerryG
First Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

We get a lot of people thinking that their 3.5mm Mic Adapter isn't working even though they have tested it with multiple microphones. In every case I have seen so far, this issue is not with the adapter, it is with their choice of microphone. Many "non powered" mics, meaning they don't have a battery in them, still require power.  In these cases, the mics use what is called "plug-in power". What this means is that power for the mic is supplied through the camera itself.

Microphones that have their own batteries should all work properly as they do not need Plug-in Power.

While there are other mics that don't have batteries, and do not need Plug-in Power, these are usually pretty cheap mics and are not going to give really good results most of the time.

I hope this helps some people.
2019-8-13
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for sharing this informative thread when in terms of choosing microphones for our Osmo Pocket. This would be helpful to our valued DJI forum members. Thank you for your support.
2019-8-13
Use props
lummox
Second Officer
United States

And I’ll add that the DJI mic adaptor does provide Plug-In Power. I can use my Roland CS-10em mics with it, no problems, gain-wise.
2019-8-13
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

Hi Kerry, I find that statement interesting because both of my powered mics are the least effective at giving a reasonable output level with the DJI Osmo Pocket audio adapter. My Rhode video mic Pro with a + 20db boost is the one that comes closest to being able to give close to the levels you would expect in normal use but on average is 6db down on my best performing condenser mic that takes its power from the Osmo Pocket.  
I would agree that on average better-known brand microphones will tend to have a better sounding output and be less prone to overload at higher volume levels. I've been surprised at the increase in quality of some of the lesser-known cheaper brands that have a range of models to choose from so cheap doesn't always mean poor performance.
There are microphones that work on many other electronic devices they are plugged into but refuse to work in the DJI audio adapter. I not only find that odd but questionable as to why that should be the case.
Do you think DJI would source components from manufacturers without knowing the technical specs for their products and yet all we get as end users are instructions on use with little to no guidance on performance figures for a product that has separate electronic audio components inside?
How can you match components effectively without that information?
2019-8-13
Use props
KerryG
First Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

lummox Posted at 8-13 12:31
And I’ll add that the DJI mic adaptor does provide Plug-In Power. I can use my Roland CS-10em mics with it, no problems, gain-wise.

I have not been able to get any mic that requires plug-in power to produce anything
2019-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules