Questions about Mavic 2 Pro (vs my Phantom 4 Pro) before buying
731 0 2019-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thefalloftroy
lvl.1
Canada

Hi everyone, I currently own a Phantom 4 Pro but have been looking at getting the Mavic 2 Pro for a couple of months now. My intention is not to replace my P4P with the M2P, but rather I expect to keep both and use them for different things (I use my Phantom for my professional aerial work, but I'm interested in having the M2P as more of a hobby/creative tool for myself that I can bring with me on smaller adventures because it's more portable, whereas my P4P is a little more cumbersome to bring places).

Right now on my P4P I've been shooting in DLOG to make grading easier, but on the Phantom, the ISO gets locked to 500 when recording in DLOG which can be pretty limiting in terms of what apertures and shutter speeds I can use, depending on what/where/when I'm filming. Does the Mavic 2 Pro also behave this way when recording in DLOG-M? Or do you have control over ISO when shooting in DLOG-M on the M2P?

I've read a number of articles and watched a number of videos that compare how the P4P and M2P stack up against each other and the verdict seems to be pretty mixed across the board - some people are adamant that the image quality and sharpness are significantly better on the P4P, and that the M2P exhibits an unavoidable "softness," line skipping and substantial grain in recovered shadows in 4K videos. Meanwhile, other people say the M2P video quality is superior because of the 10-bit colour profiles over the Phantom's 8-bit profiles.

I guess what I'm wondering is does anyone who has had experience with both drones have any advice or guidance on which they prefer and why?

Aside from the ISO-500 lock when shooting in DLOG, I've never felt limited by my P4P. The image quality has always been good, though I have noticed some minor banding issues when grading certain shots, which may be a result of the 8-bit colour. I've also always enjoyed being able to shoot at 4K/60FPS on my P4P and there was a point at which I wouldn't have even considered the Mavic 2 Pro because it can't shoot in this mode...but more recently I've noticed that I don't really need to shoot drone footage at 60fps because my aerial recordings are usually fairly slow and steady anyways.

In terms of what I'm most excited about regarding the M2P, my strongest attraction to this drone is its size and portability compared to the Phantom. Even though my P4P fits nicely into its carrying case, it's still something I have to lug around with me. I like that the Mavic is so small it can fit into a backpack and doesn't necessary have to be carried separately, which means I could take it with me on hikes and other small adventures where I'd be less likely to want to bring my Phantom. But with that being said, I'm also apprehensive about the possibility of significantly sacrificing image quality just so that it's more portable.

On top of that, there are a few other things that excite me about the M2P: slightly longer battery life, slightly longer range, the upgraded intelligent flight modes (some of which I've struggled with on the Phantom, so I'm curious how they've been improved) and its ability to tilt the camera without getting the propeller blades in the frame, even when aiming upwards.

Sorry for the long post! There are a few specific questions in there, but I'm hoping to get a sense of which drone is preferred and why. In terms of what types of things I shoot/record, it's mostly cinematic nature videos - flying over trees, lakes, waterfalls, as well as some urban areas and features. I especially like filming sunrises and sunsets. Like with my Phantom, I expect to use the Mavic for both photos and videos, but in terms of my questions of comparisons, I'm more interested in the video performance side of things.

2019-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules