Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Dropping altitude quickly.
589 2 2019-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SurveyMan46123
lvl.1

United States

I work for a surveying firm, and we fly often to acquire data for projects, usually 2-3 times a week. However yesterday we ran into a situation none of us had previously encountered and the discussion was started within the office about procedures in the future. We encountered a situation at the end of our flight (was in the process of landing) a low flying plane coming into our flight area. Low flying plane in context was a crop duster. We use Pix4D to set our flight path and was flying at 300 feet yesterday. However at the time of the incident our drone was 75-50 feet above ground in a controlled descent. Typically that is not our procedure, but I was instructing a new pilot on how to control the drone manually.

I mentioned to my second set of eyes and two crew members (surveyors) on site that if I tried to drop my altitude quickly I don't think we would have been out of the way in time. Is this because of the program we were tied too, or a setting within the DJI app that will allow for a quicker (controlled) descent?

2019-8-15
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Left stick all the way down is as quick as it gets.  You could do a csc, but you'll lose your drone.  Better than hitting a plane though.
2019-8-15
Use props
rwynant V1
Captain
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Practice flying forward and reducing altitude.....quite often the A/C will descend faster than coming straight down with just the left stick down.

Please make sure your VO is giving you information in a timely manner.  You as the RPIC should have been told you had manned A/C inbound, and from what direction and approx alt.  This should have taken place long before you were in an urgent situation.

Randy
2019-8-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules