Using a nexus 7 gen 1 (2012 version). Have a few questions for the experienced
2007 10 2015-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rsheehan79
lvl.1

United States

This will be my first time using a smart device instead of fpv/odd transmitters and receivers with monitors. I got a nexus 7 2012 version before I read that it isn't technically supposed to be comparable.
I downloaded the app right from the dji site as it wouldn't let me download from the app store.

So questions:
1. Will I have to check the site for updates or will they happen automatically or will I be prompted?
2. I noticed there was a trick to USB debugging to get into Dev mode for switching on debugging. The app just prompted me to switch and I didn't have to do a bunch of tapping. Is there something I don't know? Do I have to turn on debugging as a developer anyway?
3. What is the worst that could happen using the pilot app on a device not considered comparable? Will I just get poor live downlink feed or are there more serious issues I can be at risk for?

Thanks all.
2015-6-8
Use props
zedfour
lvl.2

Canada

I use a Nexus 7 2012 and it works great. Only issue is that the app crashes sometimes, but it sounds like this is happening to lots of people. I'm sure that will be fixed in future updates.

1. There hasn't been any app updates since i've owned my P3, so I'm not sure how it works when there's an update. I have noticed though, that the app sometimes asks me to connect to wifi to check for updates. So it'll likely let you update within the app, or link you to a new APK file.

2. You can manually enable usb debugging in the Developer menu. To get to the developer menu, you need to go to Settings -> About Tablet/Phone -> Tap on build number (I think its build number) 5 times. You'll see a message saying that you are not a developer.

3. As mentioned above, it works great other than the random crashing.
2015-6-8
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

zedfour Posted at 2015-6-9 12:52
I use a Nexus 7 2012 and it works great. Only issue is that the app crashes sometimes, but it sounds ...

Okay. I'm interested also. I'm currently using a Galaxy S5 and would love to have something with a bigger screen, but something that won't force me back into a mortgage!

When you say tap that thing 5 times and then you get a message saying you're not a developer....
Then what? I'm not a developer either, but how do you continue?
2015-6-9
Use props
zedfour
lvl.2

Canada

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-9 19:58
Okay. I'm interested also. I'm currently using a Galaxy S5 and would love to have something with a ...

After you get the message stating that you're a developer, you go back to the main settings menu and will see the Developer menu. In there, you'll see an option for USB Debugging.

I'm not entirely sure if its the same process on a Galaxy S5 though.
2015-6-9
Use props
dashtwo
lvl.2

United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-9 19:58
Okay. I'm interested also. I'm currently using a Galaxy S5 and would love to have something with a ...

I believe that is a typing error. mine reads "you are NOW a developer" instead of not.
I have been using a N7 2012 and I think it works fine. Sometimes when I encode from cache or use director it may crash the app. but flying with it has worked out very well. Before flight I shut down all apps except for pilot and turn off wifi and its been great. just would like a brighter screen in the daylight (or a hood).
2015-6-9
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

dashtwo Posted at 2015-6-9 23:58
I believe that is a typing error. mine reads "you are NOW a developer" instead of not.
I have bee ...

Thanks for the additional info. I'm probably not sufficiently experienced to be a developer, but if I was, I'd probably tackle something along the lines of a tablet instead of my phone.

Frankly, I wish something would "shake out" in the near future so I can figure out which way to go. My S5 works halfway decently, but the screen really isn't big enough to fly the Phantom and easily be able to see and manipulate my bird.
2015-6-9
Use props
dashtwo
lvl.2

United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-10 02:35
Thanks for the additional info. I'm probably not sufficiently experienced to be a developer, but i ...

O you can do it. It doesn't involve "developing" anything. It is just the "developer options" allow you to turn on "USB debugging" which is required for the controller to use the tablet as a display of sorts. You don't even have to do all the developer stuff: You just plug it in, turn on the remote then open up the pilot app. the screen will tell you "USB debugging is not on" or something like that and it will give you a button to go to turn it on. Sounds worse in writing than it is. Good luck
2015-6-9
Use props
Wilson
New

United States

I have a Nexus 7 (2013) with Verizon and the video is pixelated... I have tried with and without USB debugging mode on.. Any ideas?
2015-9-15
Use props
Wilson
New

United States

Wilson Posted at 2015-9-15 22:51
I have a Nexus 7 (2013) with Verizon and the video is pixelated... I have tried with and without USB ...

Nevermind - resolved. Factory reset nexus and loaded 1 single app DJI GO
2015-9-16
Use props
pwdavis77
New

United States

how did you get the app installed on the N7 2012? I get the "not compatible" message at the app store.
2015-12-25
Use props
pwdavis77
New

United States

pwdavis77 Posted at 2015-12-25 19:31
how did you get the app installed on the N7 2012? I get the "not compatible" message at the app stor ...

Update: found the app on 1Mobile Maker. Another route was suggested in another post
http://forum.dji.com/thread-37929-1-1.html

I am running 4.2.2 OS.
2015-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules