Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Smart Controller first impression/review.
1048 23 2019-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

Because the screen is so small and it's so expesive when you add an additional monitor plus the weight factor, for the most part you are better off with the regular controller and a 8" + size screen unless you want to downgrade to a tiny little toy 5.5" screen. Maybe if I could zoom in this would help? It's not as portable(or the same) as the regular controller if you have to factor in the addational monitor! not saying it's a bad product. just not a good Bang for you Buck unless you like a small screen that will give you trouble at times when taking shots or video. this is a fact Nobody can dispute!

2019-8-16
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

I think a lot of people are in denial, that having such a small screen will not hinder your results.
2019-8-16
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

after going back to a 10" screen from the 5.5" I have now realized how many suckers have bought the Smart Controller because without the larger external monitor, the Smart Controller is a Downgrade for sure! It's not my opinion. It's a simple fact everything is Very small on the 5.5 incher versus an 8" + screen.
2019-8-16
Use props
Marty Markoe
Captain
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Each to their own. Even with my 72 year old eyes, the screen real estate for viewing and touch is plenty big. The brightness negating the need for a hood, and extremely fast setup  make the SC a great choice.
Marty Markoe
FAA Part 107 certified
2019-8-17
Use props
akozc
Captain
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Macao

"Since you have ipad better stick on it. SC has  android system and not steady and fully reliable "
This was not my words  but  was  told by the DJI Flagship store technician when I asked about the SC stock status.
2019-8-17
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

Marty Markoe Posted at 8-17 06:52
Each to their own. Even with my 72 year old eyes, the screen real estate for viewing and touch is plenty big. The brightness negating the need for a hood, and extremely fast setup  make the SC a great choice.
Marty Markoe
FAA Part 107 certified

it's plenty big but not optimal. Just big enough sometimes just doesn't cut it when you are taking award winning photos. All the Pros are adding a monitor to the Smart Controller. You must be in denial or have never tried a 10" tablet when taking photos, etc...  I know what I am talking about. I would advice you to get a tripod and an external monitor.
2019-8-17
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

i am returning mine for sure.... it's a Toy unless your a non-pro or plan on adding an external screen. I don't even use it anymore even though I could. an 8" + tablet is the way to go!
2019-8-19
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you get the RE goggles to use w/ the SmartController it's like having a 100".  The RE goggles work flawlessly w/ the SmartController.   Those who use the standard get cut-offs at like 1km making their controls no longer work until they turn off the goggles.
2019-8-19
Use props
KS-6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 112559 ft
  • >>>
United States

bobsma Posted at 8-17 16:09
it's plenty big but not optimal. Just big enough sometimes just doesn't cut it when you are taking award winning photos. All the Pros are adding a monitor to the Smart Controller. You must be in denial or have never tried a 10" tablet when taking photos, etc...  I know what I am talking about. I would advice you to get a tripod and an external monitor.

You seem to be trolling or something along those lines, yes?

I got the smart controller so I can work more easily and therefore much faster and so far it has been brilliant for that. I have had too many hired drone pilots for my productions have issues with cables, smart phone batteries dying faster than the flight plans allow and so on.

When I have about $2K in model fees out there for professional skiers about to drop into a double black and my hands are already cold, the last thing I need is to be futzing around with is an iPad or my phone that needs to be used for other things. You had better believe pros will be using this device because they already are, so perhaps restrain your self from the one size fits all commentary and just move on then?
2019-8-19
Use props
Mr Sepo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 929334 ft
Australia

I used to use an 8 in tablet and then moved to the smart controller.  I was apprehensive about the screen size, but it is a major improvement for me.  I have had no issue with the size.  I can use it with sun glasses on.  The resolution is beautiful.  Nothing charges off of it so I get more power in the controller then I have batteries and I have 4.  I have side loaded google services so I have Litchi on it so I have the 3rd party flexibility.  My pack has gotten smaller as I don't have to cart around a controller, tablet, sun hood and mount.  Set up is faster.  I have not seen any videos with "pros" and additional monitors.  If all you want is size looking for bang for buck,  you are happy with your standard setup, good for you.  The Smart Controller is not for you.  I wanted the best experience possible.  It is a luxury accessory.   
2019-8-19
Use props
Adam9997
Captain
Flight distance : 2490892 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mr Sepo Posted at 8-19 16:08
I used to use an 8 in tablet and then moved to the smart controller.  I was apprehensive about the screen size, but it is a major improvement for me.  I have had no issue with the size.  I can use it with sun glasses on.  The resolution is beautiful.  Nothing charges off of it so I get more power in the controller then I have batteries and I have 4.  I have side loaded google services so I have Litchi on it so I have the 3rd party flexibility.  My pack has gotten smaller as I don't have to cart around a controller, tablet, sun hood and mount.  Set up is faster.  I have not seen any videos with "pros" and additional monitors.  If all you want is size looking for bang for buck,  you are happy with your standard setup, good for you.  The Smart Controller is not for you.  I wanted the best experience possible.  It is a luxury accessory.

Sepo,
Have you experienced any issues with SC since side loading google services? I side loaded Litchi using Amazon app store and everything is running smoothly. I would love to have additional google services and was curious of any software issues you or anyone else may have experienced.
Thanks in advance.
2019-8-20
Use props
Mr Sepo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 929334 ft
Australia

Gday Adam,

I have had ZERO software issues.  I have had no crashes or drop outs or lost signals.  Though, I don't fly more than 2 km.  The only thing I have installed after google services was Litchi.  The reason I felt comfortable going this route was I ensured that the same version of Litchi offered in the Google store was the same version as what is on Amazon.  Once I confirmed that, i gave it a go and it has ran fine.  I used this video as my tutorial,  I followed everything aside from factory wipe at step 2, as my controller was new straight out of the box when I did it.   
2019-8-20
Use props
Adam9997
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mr Sepo Posted at 8-20 14:47
Gday Adam,

I have had ZERO software issues.  I have had no crashes or drop outs or lost signals.  Though, I don't fly more than 2 km.  The only thing I have installed after google services was Litchi.  The reason I felt comfortable going this route was I ensured that the same version of Litchi offered in the Google store was the same version as what is on Amazon.  Once I confirmed that, i gave it a go and it has ran fine.  I used this video as my tutorial,  I followed everything aside from factory wipe at step 2, as my controller was new straight out of the box when I did it.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_swJvznW68

Thanks very much for the info. I’ll  install tomorrow
2019-8-20
Use props
Dronie2
Captain
Flight distance : 1336365 ft
Spain

bobsma Posted at 8-17 16:09

Since you consider it so bad and it doesn't seem appropriate for you, return it without wasting any more time.
2019-8-21
Use props
fans9b28d06a
Captain
Flight distance : 5575873 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mr Sepo Posted at 8-20 14:47
Gday Adam,

I have had ZERO software issues.  I have had no crashes or drop outs or lost signals.  Though, I don't fly more than 2 km.  The only thing I have installed after google services was Litchi.  The reason I felt comfortable going this route was I ensured that the same version of Litchi offered in the Google store was the same version as what is on Amazon.  Once I confirmed that, i gave it a go and it has ran fine.  I used this video as my tutorial,  I followed everything aside from factory wipe at step 2, as my controller was new straight out of the box when I did it.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_swJvznW68

ditto for me.   used the same yt video minus the hard reset, installed play store although it took maybe a day or two to get past some of the google services issues...but it finally works.  play store works fine, no sc issues at all.
2019-8-21
Use props
Adam9997
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fans9b28d06a Posted at 8-21 17:40
ditto for me.   used the same yt video minus the hard reset, installed play store although it took maybe a day or two to get past some of the google services issues...but it finally works.  play store works fine, no sc issues at all.

Confirmed. Installed mine today, everything works perfectly..
2019-8-21
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

The small screen takes some getting used to admittedly BUT i can actually see the screen outdoor in sunlight which is impossible on any phone or tablet.  And thats a big thing.
The screen is a high enough resolution that you can easily see whats being framed and shot.

As for portability, i just have the SC now.  Its better than my old controller plug USB cables, plus tablet, plus the 3 parts to the tablet mount and the time it takes to screw the bits together pre-flight.

So your 'Not for dispute' claims are disputed.
2019-8-22
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

gnirtS Posted at 8-22 04:42
The small screen takes some getting used to admittedly BUT i can actually see the screen outdoor in sunlight which is impossible on any phone or tablet.  And thats a big thing.
The screen is a high enough resolution that you can easily see whats being framed and shot.

not for small objects. there is a Huge advantage to having a larger screen.  you just don't take the same shots as I do is my guess. I could demo in person if you live nearby! it's so obvious that having a larger screen is better, so there is no need to argue.
2019-8-22
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

Dronie2 Posted at 8-21 07:27
Since you consider it so bad and it doesn't seem appropriate for you, return it without wasting any more time.

I am... I just don't understand what people are thinking when compared to a screen double the size. I wanted to like it so bad, but for me it's just okay and would have to get an external monitor as many do!!!
2019-8-22
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

Mr Sepo Posted at 8-19 16:08
I used to use an 8 in tablet and then moved to the smart controller.  I was apprehensive about the screen size, but it is a major improvement for me.  I have had no issue with the size.  I can use it with sun glasses on.  The resolution is beautiful.  Nothing charges off of it so I get more power in the controller then I have batteries and I have 4.  I have side loaded google services so I have Litchi on it so I have the 3rd party flexibility.  My pack has gotten smaller as I don't have to cart around a controller, tablet, sun hood and mount.  Set up is faster.  I have not seen any videos with "pros" and additional monitors.  If all you want is size looking for bang for buck,  you are happy with your standard setup, good for you.  The Smart Controller is not for you.  I wanted the best experience possible.  It is a luxury accessory.

the standard setup is a better bang for your buck if you prefer a large screen. that's for sure! I rest my case. I will try it again tomorrow before returning just to make sure.
2019-8-22
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

gnirtS Posted at 8-22 04:42
The small screen takes some getting used to admittedly BUT i can actually see the screen outdoor in sunlight which is impossible on any phone or tablet.  And thats a big thing.

the video feed stopped with my DJI smart controller the last time I used it. an ipad that is recent is more reliable then the smart controller for sure!!!!! I still had telementary but the video feed was frozen and in black and white also!  this thing sucks for sure compered to the regular controller that I have hand hundreds of flights with with Zero problems like this! I rest my case! IOS is more reliable!
2019-8-26
Use props
M Stuart K
First Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans9b28d06a Posted at 8-21 17:40

I cannot get it to work for me.  It goes fine until the end after logging in to the play store and up pops this message that states I do not have permission or something.  Any idea on how to get around this?
2019-8-26
Use props
M Stuart K
First Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

bobsma Posted at 8-22 17:36
I am... I just don't understand what people are thinking when compared to a screen double the size. I wanted to like it so bad, but for me it's just okay and would have to get an external monitor as many do!!!

I think the screen size is plenty, primarily because it is so bright and easy to view.  Like you, my problem is that it does tend to have more issues in terms of connection and input lag than the IOS application.  However, I do like that everything is in one place and the ease of connecting to the drone.  Hopefully they will get some of the bugs out of it.  Screen size is not my issue.
2019-8-26
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

M Stuart K Posted at 8-26 16:17
I think the screen size is plenty, primarily because it is so bright and easy to view.  Like you, my problem is that it does tend to have more issues in terms of connection and input lag than the IOS application.  However, I do like that everything is in one place and the ease of connecting to the drone.  Hopefully they will get some of the bugs out of it.  Screen size is not my issue.

if I am looking for smaller objects at a Far! distance the big screen will help you for sure and this is a fact! But for the average Joe, It's not going to make a big difference and for most of my shots it works great for the most part and in the sun with no shade I do prefer the Smart Controller. I will return mine anyways because it has a defect that I mentioned in another post. It's like going from a 32" TV to a 60"  as an editor of photos. no question the bigger screen helps when you can control the sun light.

cropped photo, I was behind an obstacle and not in this copters airspace!

cropped photo, I was behind an obstacle and not in this copters airspace!
2019-8-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules