Next osmo action ( OA 2.0 )
4029 19 2019-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

I know some might think it is early to start talking about that, but really it is never too early to think about your next product / line of income.

So here is what i would like to see in the Osmo action 2.0.

1. Even better image quality and FPS performance, it seem like the main competitor are already contemplating ( roumours ) 4K / 120 - 1080 / 480, but at least faster 1080p shooting would be nice.

2. I would not mind if the camera became a bit larger to accomodate better electronics / larger battery / larger sensor / better thermal performance. + 5 - 10 mm larger in all directions would not bother me at all, maybe even more.

3. A waterproof universal connector to other components, maybe a hot shoe like connector where you could connect external mic / ecternal light and have a smart connection to a gimbal.
Really there should be no need to open any doors to charge or add periphials, so camera + a LED light cube attached should work under water too.
4. HDR modes also supported by EIS / RS. ( maybe not all of them, maybe just 30 FPS or less / X  resolutions )
5. A option to use a Bluetooth microphone would be convenient.
6. In case doors ASO are removed, maybe add a couple more buttons to change settings, maybe bind functions to, this will be convenient not least under water.
7. Additional WP case, make it in a metal so it have a better chance of moving camera heat to sorounding enviorment ( air or water ) but i am sure this will be a hard task to fulfill as it almost demand a direct contact between camera housing and WP case, and on larger surfaces so heat can be conducted better.
Also i am not quite sure if this could actually worsen the chance of the case inside reaching dewpoint and so have dew generate, WP housing could also be made larger than camsera as in diving situations size dont really matter all that much ( i assume )
With a WP smart connector on the camera itself, the WP case could be made to house additionel battery for longer run times, though divers dont spend hour upon hour under water.

8. camera dedicated gimbal, and made with replaceable 18650 batteries, and the option to mount LED light and external microphone off gimbal and be powered by it for longer run times for vloggers.
Object tracking ASO features with camera and gimbal working together, gimbal to be splash proof.
9. Only replaceable thing on the camera should be battery, no other plugs or doors ( memory card to be housed / replaced in battery compartment )

Feel free to shoot my wishes down and add your own.

2019-8-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for bringing this query for us. We will forward these suggestions of yours to our designated department. Thank you for your continued support!  
2019-8-16
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

Just adding to myself.

If OA 2.0 are made larger, maybe it could be powered by a single 18650 battery ( replaceable ), this would make things so much more easy, and mean a guy like me with a collection of 18650 batteries and supporting chargers could run my OA 2.0 for days just swapping batteries ( i have about 20 of those batteries )
This also mean you could do a screw in cap for the battery compartment, this should make waterproofing better / more simple, but mean memory card could probably not go there.

But just imagine having 3500 MAH available to power your camera, in many cases it will mean one charge / battery will be plenty for a whole day of recording ( not constantly of course )

Using standard components are always best !

PS. As you might know 18650 batteries are 18 mm in diameter and 650 mm long, so thats about as wide as the Osmo action are, and less of what is is thick, so this could almost be done within the current size of the Osmo Action.

2019-8-16
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

An interesting topic !

I suspect as good an idea to use18650’s are, it’s not in dji’s interests to use these - since they have a market for selling extra proprietary batteries and chargers.

A larger sensor would always be good, but then you are hitting the next level up in price point where I suspect things do not sell in such quantity.

It will be very interesting to see what is on the GoPro 8, since I guess the OA 2.0 has to trump some of these features.
2019-8-16
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Here’s another thought ...... how about Osmo Actions / pocket that have a multi cam network / Bluetooth link so if you are using multiple ‘osmos’  You can synchronise a record start for all of them from one point ?
2019-8-16
Use props
williehowe
lvl.4
United States

Can we get external audio working in the first version before they build version 2?
2019-8-17
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

Hehe yeah many are worried about that audio adapter, me i dont even use the build in microphones as what i often record sound awful so better mute it and put some music on instead.
2019-8-17
Use props
DJIMAVIC2BENITO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4997 ft
Spain

HELLO!!

i am agree with all of you. But. i don´t understand why this camera don´t have gps, to  see the speed the position etc. Nowdays it is impossible to understand this.....
2020-4-18
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

I would start with "real" 4K, which none of these cameras with electronic stabilization has at the moment....
2020-4-18
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

By All means.  you can  make one we'll support you by a purchase.
2020-4-18
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

I personally think it is okay its not there, if it was it is also just one more thing that can break, or behave strangely and aggravate people.
There are many smart things today, i don't find that smart, hell even my phone i only carry that one so my dear old mother can reach me, the next day after she die my phone will be gone again, i don't need it at all.
Also at least from the dashcams i work more with, the polling rate of the GPS are not that fast, so if i drive the 50 km/h town speed limit and break hard, when i am stopped the GPS in the dahscam still say i drive 25 km/h.
It is even the same with acceleration, and i drive a small 3 CYL Suzuki car, that is about as far as you can get from a fast car, but even there accelerating hard it take a few seconds for the GPS to catch up.
And these are cameras with a external GPS antenna some Chinese but even a Ublox GPS will do this too.
Maybe if i was kick ass racing my race car on the weekend, but i am not, i have sort of become too old for action with my age of 53,,,,, though if i won the lottery one of the first things i would order was a motorcycle modified for stunt driving.

For me it is a camera so i just want good image quality, and sound, and a sensible price too.
2020-4-18
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Dejing innovators Osmo Action 2nd generation Is weeks away from release, if the CES 202 had their show

and we can keep Dreaming for 2021.

Untitled.png
2020-4-20
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

So OA2 will look like OA, that would be a let down to me.
2020-4-20
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Dual camera be interesting.  Pip it in as you're -  nuff said some one will   disagree. Lol
put a camera in the rear allow to enable in pip.   Why split the screen, lower/upper corners  be good for demo and reviews etc.    its an old hybrid  camera   years ago,   we're already with 360 cameras  Lol
2020-4-22
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

That would probably be a nice feature in 360 cameras, if it is not there already i don't have any interest in those ATM as i don't feel they are where i would be interested.
I do not think dji should carry on making mistakes like GP did,even if you dont count their drone adventure.
GP had their bread and butter cameras, but somehow they allowed for it to grow stale and moldy, and no one are going to eat that.

I think the OA was a impressive entry to the action camera market, but dji should still think long and hard before they release the next model, or risk being the bastard child of GP and SJcams.
2020-4-22
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I feel what DJI should do is step away from the Ambrella chip, create their own lie GoPro has but you not agree on that either,  Smiles.  What is needed from the camera, DJI already done, made a interesting device to fall to share video, but again one will disagree on that as well.
2020-4-22
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

They should use the new qualcom Spectra 480 ISP that is parred with their new phones ( not sure of it is part of the 865 or whatever its called chip ) but it have some very impressive capabilities.But for sure they should ditch Ambrealla as the hot potato it is.

The rearchitected Spectra 480 image signal processor (ISP) can process four times more pixels per clock cycle than its predecessor. This allowed engineers to lower the ISP's clock speed while increasing its performance: It can process 2 gigapixels per second. The lower clock speeds also don't require as much energy to perform the same processes as before, making the Spectra 480 therefore more thermally efficient.

That means your phone can run cooler even as it continues to shoot your high-res video diaries, which will reduce the limits that were previously imposed because devices would run too hot to operate. This means Snapdragon 865 devices can continuously shoot videos with higher frame rates, so much so that Qualcomm said you can capture unlimited high-def video at 960 fps, with the caveat that "unlimited" depends on your device's storage and battery capacity. That's a lot more control than existing phones that record at 960fps, which only allow you to record bursts of about 0.2 seconds at that frame rate. If you want to shoot slowmo in 4K, the Snapdragon 865 can also do that in 240 fps.

With the new ISP, you can also record 8K video or snap 200-megapixel photos, should your phone have the required sensors and hardware for that. The Snapdragon 865 also adds support for HDR video capture in the Dolby Vision standard, which is popular in the film industry.
2020-4-22
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

May Christmas come early may is around the Corner and  April is going. No OA 2 .maybe the near future but for now it's all talk no Action with DJI.
2020-4-22
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

ISP features:

Qualcomm Spectra 480 with dual 14-bit CV-ISPs and hardware accelerator for computer vision
    200 MP single camera; 64 MP at 30 fps single camera with MFNR/ZSL; 25 MP at 30 fps dual camera with MFNR/ZSL
    8K 30 FPS and 4K 120 FPS HDR video
    Up to 2 Gpixel/s
    Video capture formats: Dolby Vision, HDR10, HDR10+, HEVC
    Video codec support: Dolby Vision, H.265 (HEVC), HDR10+, HLG, HDR10, H.264 (AVC), VP8, VP9
    New functionalities to improve noise reduction and local contrast enhancements

Just imagine 4K 120 FPS + HDR or 240 FPS non HDR
The 8K part i would not look too much at, better to grab a really good 4K sensor, or a higher megapixel sensor you can bin into 4K ( 32 / 46 mpix or so for a 4 in 1 bin and 4K )
2020-4-22
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Everyone loves to build a better Mouse trap.   
2020-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules