New Mavic 2 Zoom Owner
942 15 2019-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scskinsfan11
lvl.1

United States

I just bought a Mavic 2 Zoom after owning just a really basic drone for a little bit.  I figured if I liked it I should just go big and learn on the go.  I decided that taking a private lesson (there is a guy that offers them where I live) was the best way to go all the way around.  Do any of you have any tips for a newbie that is probably in way over my head!! I did buy the Care Refresh plan since I'm certain there will be some growing pains!!

I look forward to learning a lot!
2019-8-16
Use props
Roger1167
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1510728 ft
  • >>>
United States

Line of sight
2019-8-16
Use props
scskinsfan11
lvl.1

United States

Judging by some of the threads I've read this is good advice!
2019-8-16
Use props
STRIDE8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

Practice in an open field to get use to the controls and intelligent flight modes

Always keep the drone in your line of sight until you get good at flying using the screen

Don't try to do too much.  fly slow

If you are afraid to fly somewhere DONT until you are comfortable

Get a Statefarm PAP policy also to cover the full cost of your drone and accessories ($60 per year)

Happy flying and safe landings!!!
2019-8-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day scskinsfan11. Thank you for choosing DJI and for the inquiry. Please prepare a pre-flight checklist before flying or operating your drone to be sure that everything is working properly. Please develop your own pre-flight checklist. The secret to a safe drone flight is a solid list of steps to check off before ( and after ) a flight. These lists can vary widely across drone makes and models, but most will include checking batteries, propellers and gimbal as well as calibrating IMU and compass, confirming GPS connection and a dozen or so other steps and system checks that will let you know you’re ready to fly. In addition I will be posting a DJI forum link where in you can find 10 Easy Steps for beginners guide ( https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=166726 ). Thank you.
2019-8-16
Use props
scskinsfan11
lvl.1

United States

STRIDE8 Posted at 8-16 09:29
Practice in an open field to get use to the controls and intelligent flight modes

Always keep the drone in your line of sight until you get good at flying using the screen

Thank you!!  I will look into the Statefarm Policy.  That sounds like a smart idea
2019-8-16
Use props
STRIDE8
lvl.4
United States

scskinsfan11 Posted at 8-16 09:41
Thank you!!  I will look into the Statefarm Policy.  That sounds like a smart idea

NP.  It gave me peace of mind after I got it because I was ALWAYS nervous flying because you never know when something is going to happen.  That takes the fun out of flying IMO
2019-8-16
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Practice flying in 3rd person a lot with different orientations.  Use the DJI drone simulator.
https://www.dji.com/simulator

Always fly higher than the tallest obstacles going to be in between you and the drone.  Always ensure your RTH height is set correctly just incase.

Believe it or not, when flying confidently you forget about all the dangers and just fly.  It feels like the simulator but in real-life the graphics are a lot better.

When new, check to make sure the props are on tight every time and start landing with 35% battery left just incase something happens you have room to work with.
2019-8-16
Use props
scskinsfan11
lvl.1

United States

AntDX316 Posted at 8-16 10:27
Practice flying in 3rd person a lot with different orientations.  Use the DJI drone simulator.
https://www.dji.com/simulator

thank you!  I will definitely practice with the simulator
2019-8-16
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Congrats on the new bird.
2019-8-16
Use props
maddox
First Officer
Malaysia

Welcome to the forum! Happy flying
2019-8-17
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Best of luck -- I also am a new owner of the Mavic 2 Zoom and the drone has already exceeded my expectations -- you should be enjoying your new drone very much over the next few weeks. Best of luck!
2019-8-17
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

I'm curious.  What did you think of the private lesson?   What kinds of things were emphasized?   Where I find I still have, well, issues, is flying back towards myself.  
2019-8-17
Use props
scskinsfan11
lvl.1

United States

ff22 Posted at 8-17 14:14
I'm curious.  What did you think of the private lesson?   What kinds of things were emphasized?   Where I find I still have, well, issues, is flying back towards myself.

I'm taking the lesson on Friday so I'll let you know afterwards.  I hope that it gets me off on the right foot!!
2019-8-19
Use props
scskinsfan11
lvl.1

United States

STRIDE8 Posted at 8-16 09:52
NP.  It gave me peace of mind after I got it because I was ALWAYS nervous flying because you never know when something is going to happen.  That takes the fun out of flying IMO

I got the State Farm policy today!  Thank you again for the advice.  It definitely gives me peace of mind.  I have the refresh plan as well through DJI but it makes me nervous about it getting stolen or lost at sea  
2019-8-19
Use props
STRIDE8
lvl.4
United States

scskinsfan11 Posted at 8-19 09:44
I got the State Farm policy today!  Thank you again for the advice.  It definitely gives me peace of mind.  I have the refresh plan as well through DJI but it makes me nervous about it getting stolen or lost at sea

Nice.. glad I was able to help you.. Have fun flying
2019-8-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules