Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How low shoud I fly over the water?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
allyssongemelli
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2562467 ft
Brazil

I read about the VPS (Vision Positioning System) that it prefers to disable for flights over the water, because the drone can measure the attitude wrongly, and also try to auto land. The water for this system behaves like a solid surface, and can mess around the drone. But what is the minimum to fly over the water with safe? 2 meters, or maybe 3?

Have an idea?
2019-8-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day allyssongemelli. Thank you for reaching out. It is not recommended to fly the aircraft close to the water. When flying above water, the vision positioning function will turn off automatically and only the GPS and barometer are used for positioning, if affected by the accuracy range, and an accident might happen. In addition normally the vision positioning is only effective when the aircraft is at altitude of 0.3 to 10 meters. Thank you for your understanding and support.

2019-8-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-16 10:41
Hello and good day allyssongemelli. Thank you for reaching out. It is not recommended to fly the aircraft close to the water. When flying above water, the vision positioning function will turn off automatically and only the GPS and barometer are used for positioning, if affected by the accuracy range, and an accident might happen. In addition normally the vision positioning is only effective when the aircraft is at altitude of 0.3 to 10 meters. Thank you for your understanding and support.

[view_image]

When flying above water, the vision positioning function will turn off automatically

Really  ?????
Are you certain of that?
2019-8-16
Use props
allyssongemelli
lvl.4
Brazil

Labroides Posted at 8-16 14:33
When flying above water, the vision positioning function will turn off automatically
Really  ?????
Are you certain of that?

I would be not so sure about that. Better to turn off before start flying over the water.
2019-8-16
Use props
Rvrrat14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 655932 ft
United States

I too fly a P4A.   I have flown down around 8 ft off the water with no trouble; WITH VPS ON.   However, the water was clear and shallow, whereas the bottom was easily seen.   Did this allow the VPS to work normally?   I have also flown over muddy, flood waters.   The height there was approx. 20ft.   Hover was stable and normal.   I try and maintain 20ft min when over ‘stained’ water.   I have not seen where water current/ripples have affect.   Always err on safety.
2019-8-18
Use props
allyssongemelli
lvl.4
Brazil

You can turn off VPS, I think it's better. Maybe this height of 8 ft is secure, I think I'll try 10 ft for safe. The problem could be low and water that is very clear, can mess up the drone, the image.
2019-8-19
Use props
D2_hunter
lvl.4
United States

just not too low, simplest answer i can give you  
2019-8-20
Use props
Roy Rogers
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-16 10:41
Hello and good day allyssongemelli. Thank you for reaching out. It is not recommended to fly the aircraft close to the water. When flying above water, the vision positioning function will turn off automatically and only the GPS and barometer are used for positioning, if affected by the accuracy range, and an accident might happen. In addition normally the vision positioning is only effective when the aircraft is at altitude of 0.3 to 10 meters. Thank you for your understanding and support.

[view_image]

Good job Stephen , you was "jonny on the spot" with that answer
2019-8-21
Use props
allyssongemelli
lvl.4
Brazil

D2_hunter Posted at 8-20 16:57
just not too low, simplest answer i can give you

But 2 meters? 3m?
2019-8-22
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I live in the desert where we have no water so haven't actually flown over it, but if I were to there's no reason why I would go much lower than 20 feet. I know we see a lot of YouTube videos of people flying real low and they sacrifice their bird in the act, because nobody knows if the drone one moment might make an adjustment  or if there is an upward slope in the water or if a wave produces a high bounce that may wet your drone to the brink? There is no margin of error flying over water, whereas at least on solid ground if you have Care Refresh you can recover the drone????..
2019-8-22
Use props
Jonboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 436152 ft
United Kingdom

quite often fly low over water in normal never had issues maybe just lucky 3min 24 seconds
2020-2-26
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I like that stream flight.  Looks like you almost lost it at 2:15 .  I wouldn't try a flight like that myself - which makes it fun to watch.  :-)  
2020-2-26
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Jonboy Posted at 2-26 07:27
quite often fly low over water in normal never had issues maybe just lucky 3min 24 seconds https://youtu.be/C086vpL3qOA?t=204

Very nicely filmed.  Gentle & relaxing.  I loved it
2020-2-27
Use props
Jonboy
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Manxmann Posted at 2-27 01:01
Very nicely filmed.  Gentle & relaxing.  I loved it

Thanks Manxmann
2020-2-27
Use props
Jonboy
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mark The Droner Posted at 2-26 07:56
I like that stream flight.  Looks like you almost lost it at 2:15 .  I wouldn't try a flight like that myself - which makes if fun to watch.  :-)

It really is not dificult, just take it slow the bit at 2:15 was obstacle avoidance just dipped its nose as i backed off :-)
2020-2-27
Use props
RampL Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I usually don’t fly below 3 meters above the waters surface, I leave all settings as they would normally be for regular flight, just don’t take your eyes off the phantom in case it starts to drift..
2020-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules