1551 18 2019-8-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
listam
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22510 ft

Sweden

Hi!

Couple of days ago I was shooting over some islands. I prepared everything as usual (calibrate) went away and after approximately three and a half minutes I received a message "Image Transmission Lost". Then my drone was gone, and I didn't understand anything. I have the coordinates but could not find a boat nearby. It's far from my home and I have been flying until this time without any issues. Is it possible to analyze accidents without the drone? Could you perhaps use the log from my phone to figure out what went wrong?

Best regards
Mikael Listam

2019-8-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Mikael. I am sorry for the trouble and to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Air. Since this issue happened on the said drone. I would recommend you contact our DJI support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance with regards to this matter. We have the professional team who would do their best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Thank for your understanding and for your support.
2019-8-19
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Mikael,

If you like post your flightlog on here, use this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Log will probably explain what happend.

cheers
JJB
2019-8-19
Use props
raven swe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 517936 ft
Sweden

sent you a PM
2019-8-19
Use props
listam
lvl.1

Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-19 07:34
Hello and good day Mikael. I am sorry for the trouble and to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Air. Since this issue happened on the said drone. I would recommend you contact our DJI support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance with regards to this matter. We have the professional team who would do their best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Thank for your understanding and for your support.

Thank's Stephen,

I sent DJI support an e-mail regarding my question. :-)
2019-8-19
Use props
listam
lvl.1

Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-19 07:34
Hello and good day Mikael. I am sorry for the trouble and to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Air. Since this issue happened on the said drone. I would recommend you contact our DJI support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance with regards to this matter. We have the professional team who would do their best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Thank for your understanding and for your support.

Thank's Stephen,

I sent DJI support an e-mail regarding my question.

Regards
Mikael
2019-8-19
Use props
listam
lvl.1

Sweden

JJB* Posted at 8-19 09:39
Hi Mikael,

If you like post your flightlog on here, use this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Thank's :-)
2019-8-19
Use props
listam
lvl.1

Sweden

JJB* Posted at 8-19 09:39
Hi Mikael,

If you like post your flightlog on here, use this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Thank's :-)
2019-8-19
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

My pleasure  ;-)   But no flightlog....
2019-8-19
Use props
listam
lvl.1

Sweden

JJB* Posted at 8-19 23:11
My pleasure  ;-)   But no flightlog....

Is this helpful?

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/1NR0YHZMWZKQW6JDIW84/
2019-8-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Mikael,

Had a look at your log.

You did start this flight with zero satellites and no GPS reception.
First part flying in OPTI mode. (flying at 4.5 meters ; that`s why a warning "Max Altitude Approached. Wait for the GPS satellite signal recovery before ascend." was shown)
-
At 44.9 seconds HP was recorded, now 11 sats and 4 bars for reception.

Flying far away at height of 38 meters. At 3m20s you started to fly lower, stick down input to 100%.
At 3m34s flyinh height reduced to 11.4 meters, if baro height is accurate than no VPS reading at this time (just out of range).Loosing contact for 3.3 secs, but still 100% stick down.
Height now reduced to -0.1, further down upto - 3.5. (with 100% stick down).
Still no VPS height indication, guess your MA was at this point getting into the range of VPS. Or no VPS height indication because flying over water can hamper the reflections back to the MA.
Normally the baro height is fairly accurate (when flying at more or less the same low height during the flight), as the baro height is zeroed at takeoff....how high was your postion above the lake level? my guess is few meters.

Loosing contact at 901 meters away at really low height is not abnormal, and ofcourse line of sight RC > MA hampered by the little island in between.

Watching GE ; to me it looks like it just hit the water, flying just between land at both sides....

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis3.png
analysis2.png
2019-8-20
Use props
listam
lvl.1

Sweden

JJB* Posted at 8-20 02:31
Hi Mikael,

Had a look at your log.

Thank's again,

Yes maybe 5 m above the lake. I did calibrate before take off and waited in the air until I hade GPS. But why did it descend? I think I was high enough without any risk to hit the water.

Soon going back with my diving gear and search - hope I find it :-)

Cheers
Mikael
2019-8-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

listam Posted at 8-20 03:35
Thank's again,

Yes maybe 5 m above the lake. I did calibrate before take off and waited in the air until I hade GPS. But why did it descend? I think I was high enough without any risk to hit the water.

Hi Mikael,

Your MA did descend because you told the drone to do that ; 100% stick down for the last part....
If the VPS height sensor did not get the signal back....nothing will stop the descend (with stick down ofcourse)

Oke, takeoff 5 meters above the lake, so if the baro height was accurate last actual height was about 1.5 meters above the water. (plus/minus the accurancy of this sensor)

I always fly with a screen recorder active, using DU recorder for my Android devices.
Great to see the flight back and see what i have missed while watchiong the drone and not the app.

cheers
JJB
2019-8-20
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

JJB's data analysis was spot on. Definitely explains why the MA was lost. Never fly behind any objections if you can help it.

Triple whammy --->       Flight with zero satellites and no GPS reception. - Be patient and wait until it's locked.
                                      Loosing contact for 3.3 secs, but still 100% stick down. - Increase/ascend altitude whenever there's loss of connection.
                                      MA hampered by the little island in between. - Never, ever fly behind any object especially an island.

I recall once I flew a little lower than I should have near an island, starting loosing connection with RC when I quickly noticed and increased altitude and worked my way back using radar symbol (video feed was a bit sketchy).

Take the loss as a learning lesson. I've made mistakes too but have learned not to repeat.
2019-8-20
Use props
listam
lvl.1

Sweden

SD_Pilot Posted at 8-20 04:37
JJB's data analysis was spot on. Definitely explains why the MA was lost. Never fly behind any objections if you can help it.

The analysis hurts, but as you mentioned - learn by mistakes. Purchased a new one this weekend and will keep your good words and suggestion with me.

Thank's again :-)  
2019-8-20
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

listam Posted at 8-20 05:46
The analysis hurts, but as you mentioned - learn by mistakes. Purchased a new one this weekend and will keep your good words and suggestion with me.

2019-8-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

listam Posted at 8-20 05:46
The analysis hurts, but as you mentioned - learn by mistakes. Purchased a new one this weekend and will keep your good words and suggestion with me.

sorry....did not had the intention to hurt you

Many safe landings with the new one!

cheers
JJB
2019-8-20
Use props
ririlan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 879154 ft
Canada

Pushing to the limit those little AC does sometime end in a bad way.  I've crashed mine, others have lost theirs. Now I am extremely careful when I go fly. I get really scary when I get the Strong Interference message. Never know what can happen after!!!
2019-8-20
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

listam Posted at 8-19 22:50
Thank's Stephen,

I sent DJI support an e-mail regarding my question. :-)

You are very much welcome Mikael and thank you for sending an email to DJI. Reast assured that the email that you have sent will be answered by our DJI support team. Please keep us posted on the said issue. Thank you.
2019-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules