A Crash to Learn From, But...
754 12 2019-8-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LCubed56
lvl.1
Flight distance : 111624 ft
United States

I was heart-broken. After only a week, I crashed my M2P into an over-hanging tree and it fell into 5 feet of water. Here's what I believe happened:

1. I was recording a video over a river (current was barely moving). I had moved the yaw of the camera slightly to the right in order to capture part of the shoreline.
2. Once I started loosing signal, I pressed the RTH, and the drone came back to home and began to land.
3. Before the M2P completed the landing process (it was still about 8 feet from landing), I cancelled RTH.
4. I then put the drone into Sport mode and using line of sight I repostioned the drone over the center of the river and used the attached phone on the remote controller to center the yaw of the drone down river.
5. Next, looking at the image on the phone, I began flying it full speed down river. Except the camera was still turned slightly to the right.
6. Yes, the next thing I knew, it had crashed into a tree downstream which was hanging over the river, and the drone went swimming.

I realize now, that if I had let the drone complete the RTH process, it would have re-centered the camera upon landing.

Now here's the But...
But doesn't it make sense to have an option in the software to have the M2P re-center the camera when flight modes change? Especially when going into Sport mode?
I realize this was TOTALLY my fault, but with all the other safety features available I think this would be a good feature addition. Comments?

2019-8-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You can set one of the C buttons to re Centre.
2019-8-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day LCubed56. I am sorry to read what happened to your DJI Mavic 2 Pro and thank you for sharing this experience with us today. I will forward this thread to the designated DJI Department for further development of DJI. Thank you for your support.
2019-8-19
Use props
parkgt214
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-19 12:21
Hello and good day LCubed56. I am sorry to read what happened to your DJI Mavic 2 Pro and thank you for sharing this experience with us today. I will forward this thread to the designated DJI Department for further development of DJI. Thank you for your support.

Stephen,

What bunch of bull,  DJI doesn't care or even fix problems that have lasted for over 10 months like the defective waypoints.

Why bother to come on here a pretend otherwise?
2019-8-19
Use props
SD_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

parkgt214 Posted at 8-19 12:38
Stephen,

What bunch of bull,  DJI doesn't care or even fix problems that have lasted for over 10 months like the defective waypoints.

2019-8-19
Use props
SD_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good thing to own your mistake. No worries this happens to almost everyone just learn from your mistakes so it doesn't hopefully happen again.

Couple of observations:

Don't use RTH unless if you really need to. You couldn't steer it back to the home point using the radar if you somehow lost visual of the craft. Unclear, did you have the room/space to steer it back?

Loosing signal, (happens) just increase altitude, direction or orientation of the RC/attennas - you'd be surprised how well that can work with reconnection. I've done it several times and it reconnects.

Regarding speed mode, you do realize the sensors are "off" which possibly could've prevented the crash (maybe) only because sometimes sensors might not pick up thin branches.

Advice, keep those sensors on, go slow, fly in wide-open space with no objects nearby and work on honing the skills not only VLOS but also fly the craft back using the radar.

2019-8-19
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

You need to adjust for the deviation by how it looks on the screen and where your sticks are facing.   If you are pressing forward but it's going left then correct by going forward right.  Same w/ any direction.  Seems like you need some IQ training for some lack of skill.  Also, if you are going max speed with something you don't know what to do, you should go slower.

In sport mode, the obstacle avoidance systems are disabled.
2019-8-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

I have C1 set to recenter the camera.
2019-8-19
Use props
regan mayer
New

South Africa

Howzit all
I flew my spark really close to the back of a wave hitting the rocks, according to my footage lol drone got alot of light salt water spray, the screws on the blades are rusting. Most of my flying is at the beach.
Do I need send it in for a clean out I'm worried about the inner parts rusting. I've only had the drone for about a month now.
2019-8-20
Use props
regan mayer
New

South Africa

regan mayer Posted at 8-20 11:12
Howzit all
I flew my spark really close to the back of a wave hitting the rocks, according to my footage lol drone got alot of light salt water spray, the screws on the blades are rusting. Most of my flying is at the beach.
Do I need send it in for a clean out I'm worried about the inner parts rusting. I've only had the drone for about a month now.

This happened 2 days ago and already rusting
2019-8-20
Use props
LCubed56\
lvl.1
United States

SD_Pilot Posted at 8-19 15:24
Good thing to own your mistake. No worries this happens to almost everyone just learn from your mistakes so it doesn't hopefully happen again.

Couple of observations:

Thanks for the reply. All good advice.
2019-8-22
Use props
LCubed56\
lvl.1
United States

DAFlys Posted at 8-19 23:43
I have C1 set to recenter the camera.

Me too, but I didn't know I needed to do that. I'll make it a habit from now on.
2019-8-22
Use props
Toedles
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7676339 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

parkgt214 Posted at 8-19 12:38
Stephen,

Yup, the standard fobbing off reply, as usual.....
2019-8-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules