Lens Scratch from filters
2835 15 2019-8-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_A7M1kp3nkNkT
lvl.1

United States

Just throwing this out there as a warning but I scratched the lens this weekend during a trip. My finger slipped while removing a filter, dji filters, and left a scratch from top to bototm.

I've sent the unit off for repair/replacement and, while it is entirely my fault, I'm still annoyed how fragile the lens/coating is and why DJI offers filters that can scratch it. If they intend for people to apply something to the lens they should make sure it's heavily scratch resistant. My iphone Xs is almost a year old and the camera glass has 0 scratches on it. My cannon lenses are several years old and also have zero scratches on them. I've owned the pocket since February and took it on several trips now but the lens/coating scratched within 5 months.

I saw few threads on this issue after the fact so just raising the issue againt as a buyer beware. I'll probably look into buying a glass lens protector now or sell my filters and not use them again.

It sucks because the filters are great and really enhance the image quality but I don't want to risk damaging it again.
2019-8-20
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

People that have tried glass screen protectors have said that the filters then hardly stick to the lens due to the additional distance it places the magnets.
Did you try filming with the scratched lens? How did it interfere with the resulting footage?
I agree. The attachment method is far from ideal.
2019-8-20
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

I have a lens protector and my Neewer filters stay on just fine
2019-8-20
Use props
djiuser_A7M1kp3nkNkT
lvl.1

United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 8-20 11:40
People that have tried glass screen protectors have said that the filters then hardly stick to the lens due to the additional distance it places the magnets.
Did you try filming with the scratched lens? How did it interfere with the resulting footage?
I agree. The attachment method is far from ideal.

It looked ok, I didn't do an in-depth analysis before sending it back because I just want it fixed hopefully before my next big trip.

Do the glass protectors distort the image at all? I'll most likely put one on there and if the filters don't work oh well. I don't want scratches on the lens.
2019-8-20
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

STRIDE8 Posted at 8-20 12:34
I have a lens protector and my Neewer filters stay on just fine

Good to know. I'm sure I saw a thread on the forum with other members complaining theirs didn't.
I don't have a screen protector but I have Freewell and SkyReat filters.
2019-8-20
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

djiuser_A7M1kp3nkNkT Posted at 8-20 13:44
It looked ok, I didn't do an in-depth analysis before sending it back because I just want it fixed hopefully before my next big trip.

Do the glass protectors distort the image at all? I'll most likely put one on there and if the filters don't work oh well. I don't want scratches on the lens.

I've no idea about distortion but there has to be some slight light transmission loss. Whether that is important or whether it will nullify the effects of any front element coatings I've also no idea. I do know that with my DSLRs that front element damage can be very severe without a noticeable effect on any image taken, but a DSLRs sensor's photosites are many times the size of those on the Osmo Pocket and as I haven't scratched mine yet I can't say whether that has an impact or not. I've not seen anyone yet post a video showing any effects of front glass damage.
I've also no idea if the front glass on the Osmo Pocket is its lens. Lenses normally are curved, not flat so suspect its function is the protection of the actual front element.
As always, no comment as yet from a DJI representative saying anything one way or the other.
2019-8-20
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 8-20 14:18
Good to know. I'm sure I saw a thread on the forum with other members complaining theirs didn't.
I don't have a screen protector but I have Freewell and SkyReat filters.

Yeah I saw one also.. Maybe im just lucky.  The Neewer ones stay on pretty good. was on a catamaran in the Caribbean and it stayed on with no problem as I moved around the boat and filmed
2019-8-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello there, we apologize for what happened, your feedback will be forwarded to our engineers for attention. Please be careful when removing the filters. Hope you will get the device repaired soon.
2019-8-26
Use props
djiuser_A7M1kp3nkNkT
lvl.1

United States

STRIDE8 Posted at 8-20 12:34
I have a lens protector and my Neewer filters stay on just fine

Hi, which lens protector did you buy? I'm looking for one now for when I get my pocket back from repair. Also, which filters do you use? I have the polar pro and the magnet seems pretty strong on those.
2019-8-26
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
United States

djiuser_A7M1kp3nkNkT Posted at 8-26 15:34
Hi, which lens protector did you buy? I'm looking for one now for when I get my pocket back from repair. Also, which filters do you use? I have the polar pro and the magnet seems pretty strong on those.

I bought a brand named Hukado (Screen Lens & Screen Protector) on Amazon $6 for 4 pieces (2 lens/2 screen).  I use the Neewer filters which work very well for me.
2019-8-28
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Two thin bits of tape, no image degradation. The filters never come in contact with the lens cover. Just need to slide them in from the side.
The thickness has no effect on the skyreets I use, no chance they will drop off.
2019-8-28
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

old topic in the forum. the AR coating is EXTREMELY soft and will scratch no matter what. The only filters that seem to do the Pocket a favor (although could also potentially scratch it if debris is caught in the magnets) are the PolarPro because they have a rubber coating over the magnetic strip.
2019-8-29
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 8-20 14:32
I've no idea about distortion but there has to be some slight light transmission loss. Whether that is important or whether it will nullify the effects of any front element coatings I've also no idea. I do know that with my DSLRs that front element damage can be very severe without a noticeable effect on any image taken, but a DSLRs sensor's photosites are many times the size of those on the Osmo Pocket and as I haven't scratched mine yet I can't say whether that has an impact or not. I've not seen anyone yet post a video showing any effects of front glass damage.
I've also no idea if the front glass on the Osmo Pocket is its lens. Lenses normally are curved, not flat so suspect its function is the protection of the actual front element.
As always, no comment as yet from a DJI representative saying anything one way or the other.

I used to film with a scratched lens on my previous OP (sold it and bought a new one because I could not stare at it anymore). The scratches on the coating didn't affected light transmission but at certain angles introduced some additional ghosting and flaring.

Someone mentioned a screen protector. So far, every one I tried (0.3mm glass) impeded the filter magnets to properly stick to the OP so eventually you will drop a filter. I don't know what will happen with a film protector although the light transmission on those isn't great.

One thing that I've noticed is that DJI changed the color of the coating from purple (original OP) to Yellow (revised version). The latest seem to be a little harder to scratch so this was probably a 'silent' recall... it also changes a little bit the tint of the footage straight out of the camera (no big deal when shooting in D-Cinelike).
2019-8-29
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

MKosmo Posted at 8-28 11:19
[view_image]

Two thin bits of tape, no image degradation. The filters never come in contact with the lens cover. Just need to slide them in from the side.

The coating is so soft that you will scratch the lens just by gently rubbing the glue when removing the strips... done that (isopropyl alcohol, Zeiss Microfiber, virgin ninja fingers, etc)
2019-8-29
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

El Diabolico Posted at 8-29 04:36
The coating is so soft that you will scratch the lens just by gently rubbing the glue when removing the strips... done that (isopropyl alcohol, Zeiss Microfiber, virgin ninja fingers, etc)

I’m sure your right, but there is no reason to remove the strips they do the job. Even if I did end up removing them and some coating was removed, it would only be from the perimeter which is not visible in shot.

Maybe different filters have different strength magnets, I just thought I’d share my free workaround which worked for me, no scratches and I use filters.

2019-8-30
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

MKosmo Posted at 8-30 08:30
I’m sure your right, but there is no reason to remove the strips they do the job. Even if I did end up removing them and some coating was removed, it would only be from the perimeter which is not visible in shot.

Maybe different filters have different strength magnets, I just thought I’d share my free workaround which worked for me, no scratches and I use filters.

I don't disagree, the problem is how much will affect the scratches the resale value... potential buyers will not care about the image been directly affected or not.

i don't know about the magnets peculiarities, from my own observation with the 2 brands own (PolarPro & Skyreat), I realized that the magnet strip on the Skyreat is not flush with the filter frame. Also, the frame itself has somewhat sharp edges. Don't get me wrong, the built quality and the lens itself are great on the Skyreat but the PolarPro didn't caused any scratches at all. Shame as I own many Skyreat products and never had an issue before...
2019-9-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules