Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
camera options for inspire
5414 17 2014-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
punkinhart
lvl.4
Australia

looks like the inspire1 has a fixed fov of 94 degrees, will there be options to change the fov? the promo makes it sound like there will be an option to fit other cameras and gimbles on, but doesn't say what that will be. hard to commit the money to buying one without knowing these things..

would also be awesome to see a fixed pov pilots camera that can be switched to or have in a window on screen..
2014-11-14
Use props
wylekyot
Flight distance : 290666 ft
United States

A 3d camera would be a nice add on.
2014-11-14
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Captain
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

There are no other camera options at this time.  There will be others offered at a later date.  Also once the SDK is available for the Inspire, I am sure some third party developers will make an appearance.
2014-11-14
Use props
tgere
New

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-11-15 05:52
There are no other camera options at this time.  There will be others offered at a later date.  Also ...

For those of us interested in mapping it would be great to see a camera option along the lines of 20 megapixel or better resolution, ISO control
no rolling shutter, larger camera sensor, etc...

If I knew that was coming I would purchase an Insipre today!
2014-11-14
Use props
punkinhart
lvl.4
Australia

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-11-15 05:52
There are no other camera options at this time.  There will be others offered at a later date.  Also ...

Can you tell us what those options will be? Any serious photographer/cinematographer will need to know how much flexibility the equipment has before investing in it. Dji make which w but it feels like this is being aimed at people aspiring to be professional who want to have the coolest toy on the block.. Not meaning to be rude, but being stuck with a wide angle camera on a $5000 (approx Australian priced) price of equipment just does not make sense. At least on the phantom I can use a gopro which will let me chose between wide, medium and narrow for a fraction of that price..
2014-11-15
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Captain
  • >>>
United States

punkinhart@hotm Posted at 2014-11-16 07:42
Can you tell us what those options will be? Any serious photographer/cinematographer will need to  ...

Then the Inspire is probably not for you.  I have stated before the S900 with an appropriate gimbal and DSLR camera is for "serious" Video or Photography work.  I have a S900 with Zen for BMPCC with Lightbridge and a S1000 with Zen for GH4 with Lightbridge.  Both have their uses.  I also have a Vision + for when I need something usable but quick along with a Phantom 2 with H3-3D and Lightbridge.  The Inspire is a several steps above that but still not a DSLR.  However, I will say that I do not have the control over my camera while it is in the air that I have with the Inspire.  There is no setting that I cannot modify on the fly.  I have to set my GH4 on the ground and trust that the settings are right.  If not I have to land, reset and take off again.  Different tools for different tasks.
2014-11-16
Use props
dbeck
Second Officer

United States

See thats what I like  Honesty  I m in the same position as punkinhart.  I am a producer and would like a better camera.  So i will wait to see if third parties support the Inspire for better camera options, or just buy a S9800.  Meanwhile, I'm learning to fly the PV2+ and having a ball shooting 'ammeter' video .  What I loved was the out of the box simplicity.  Well done
2014-11-16
Use props
punkinhart
lvl.4
Australia

so what you're saying is that this is not a professional uav.. maybe dii should change it's marketing from 'everything you need for aerial film making' to 'almost everything..' I do appreciate what dji is trying to achieve here with the camera fully integrated into the controls and the ability to change settings on the fly, and i like . But not knowing what other hardware options will be available for the gimbal and camera is a big stop sign...especially because it looks like the attachment is very specific to dji products, so whoever buys it will just have to make do with whatever dji offers.
If you guys had brought this out for a few extra dollars but included a better camera, fixed pov pilot camera on a switchable or integrated feed and options to control the gimbal with a head tracking unit it would make it very hard for me to resist..
will be watching the progress and hoping...
2014-11-16
Use props
smcbrearty
lvl.4

Canada

I have to agree with punkinhart's observations.  I love what DJI is trying to do, but would rather them make statements that reflect what the product can actually do.  Being an industry leader and always having to keep ahead of the curve, DJI will never be able to make everyone happy.  I only wish I the money to have a setup with both a S900 and S1000 with such fantastic camera equipment as stated by Tahoe_ed (dream setup with the GH4 IMO).  I am an inspiring indie film maker.  I am more of a pilot than engineer.  When I saw the new Inspire I became very excited with the launch seeing that DJI had address a few items I had on my wish list (land gear out of the way, full 360 turn/view, fully intergrated batteries for drone and camera).  Just to bad that DJI did not seem to listen to or not able to do a few of the more important things like increased flight time, point of interest, follow me features.

Love what DJI is doing and hopefully they are watching these forums and seeing what we want to see on the drones and not only creating things that they think are important.

Keep up the great job guys.
2014-11-16
Use props
SimplyKen
lvl.1

United States

Guys.  It's public information that the camera sensor is 1/2.3" size and has a 60 Mbps data rate.  This should give you an idea that it's roughly the same color depth, dynamic range, and quality as a gopro.  

Also, the aircraft size is directly related to how much it can lift.  

Here's a helpful tip:
Multirotors with diagonal motor center-to-center dimensions of 350-600mm can only lift a GoPro weight camera with 3-axis gimbal.
680-850mm can lift a Sony Nex, A7S, LX100, BMPCC
900-1000mm can lift a GH4/5DMKIII
1000mm+ is needed for a Red Epic/Scarlet

The maximum dimension of the Inspire 1 is 450mm.  Which means its rotor center to center diagonal is less than that.  As far as camera options go, it's not like you'll ever see a 450mm quad lifting a freakin DSLR.  Physics simply doesn't allow it.  

Don't get your panties in a wad about marketing taglines like "Everything you need about aerial filmmaking."  The necessary information you seek is in the specifications.  No one is lifting anything heavier than a gopro with any multirotor with a diagonal measurement less than 600mm, period.  
2014-11-16
Use props
punkinhart
lvl.4
Australia

If I could stick a go pro on it I'd be happy
2014-11-16
Use props
punkinhart
lvl.4
Australia

If you read my post I'm not asking for a dslr camera on it, just that it's not stuck in wide angle lens. Every time I see aerial footage on a wide angle lens it yells DRONE FOOTAGE! Why bother going 4k when it's stuck in wide angle
2014-11-17
Use props
veen89q
lvl.1

Netherlands

Hello, let me begin by saying i am not going to use this drone for professional purposes. just capture cool shots during the holiday or festivals during the summer.

i just read a lot of stuff about the new DJI Inspire One. I am thinking on buying it when it is released in the dutch stores, but i dont want to spend more on two controllers and also not depend on a second pilot to control the camera. I know the Phantom had a feature that allowed the user to control the camera on the screen or (for example) a connected smartphone or ipad. does this option also come with the Inspire one? because DJI says in every promotional video that when buying two controllers camera and drone can be controlled at the sometime.

So lets say i give the drone a bunch of waypoints, with the last waypoint the same as my starting position, can i control the camera during this flight along the waypoints. hope someone knows the answer! Thanks in Advance!

- Mike
2014-11-17
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Guys, I am not going to argue the point.  If it works for your needs and that of your clients Great!  If not then there are other choices.  You have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages and make a decision then vote with your wallet.
2014-11-17
Use props
SimplyKen
lvl.1

United States

If DJI is truly going to consider other cameras they should look at the Sony QX100 or similar (no telephoto zoom required, though).  A GoPro weighs 88 grams naked.  A Sony QX100 is 176 grams and packs a full 1.0" sensor.  That would be an amazing upgrade to any GoPro footage given that GoPro sensors are 1/2.3".  The Sony QX100 packs a very tight center of gravity (making it easier on the gimbal) and is only about the size of a lemon or racquetball.  I don't think an extra 90 grams of weight would overburden the Inspire, but you would need to redesign the gimbal with a little bit more clearance.  

Just saying it would silence all the haters on the whole "not as good footage as a gopro."  Note that a QX100 is $500, which is as much as a Hero 4 Black.  You would definitely turn some heads with a 1" sensor camera on a completely packaged aerial system like the Inspire 1.

If I get an Inspire 1, I would definitely be willing to 3D Print some Prototype gimbal arms to house something like that.  I think it would benefit the DJI community tremendously.  
2014-11-17
Use props
punkinhart
lvl.4
Australia

Hopefully dji come up with some awesome camera options, if my wallet is still capable of voting it will then.. Hoping that the inspire 2 has all the functionality that some of us would have liked to see in the inspire 1
2014-11-17
Use props
dbeck
Second Officer

United States

I really want to know who are the...:not as good as a gorpo' group?  Ive been using their cameras for years...ecxcellent for what it is.  If you want Canon5DMr3 quality footage then buy a different machine.
2014-11-17
Use props
punkinhart
lvl.4
Australia

dbeck@promobox. Posted at 2014-11-18 10:56
I really want to know who are the...:not as good as a gorpo' group?  Ive been using their cameras fo ...

Not asking for a canon 5D... Would be nice to have the option: Wide angle / normal, at present it only shows wide angle, a go pro at least gives a choice..
2014-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules