Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Blurry Vibration
4183 27 2019-8-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DogHasTheWheel
lvl.1
United States

Is it just me or do the subjects in my Osmo Action Camera become especially blurry or vibrate a lot when it's clear i take a step while holding the camera. i'm using 4K 16:9 RockSteady On 24fps 1/50 100 ISO.
2019-8-20
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

Can you be a bit more specific in explaining what you notice?

I've only handheld the camera or had it attached to my bicycle handlebars.  I've captured people while walking and have not noticed any issues and walked/hiked with it.  Mine is 4k 30fps.  
2019-8-20
Use props
DogHasTheWheel
lvl.1
United States

ff22 Posted at 8-20 15:52
Can you be a bit more specific in explaining what you notice?

I've only handheld the camera or had it attached to my bicycle handlebars.  I've captured people while walking and have not noticed any issues and walked/hiked with it.  Mine is 4k 30fps.

do you know how to upload videos to this? or should i just use a youtube link
2019-8-20
Use props
DogHasTheWheel
lvl.1
United States

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6h2ZzpUQiU
2019-8-20
Use props
DogHasTheWheel
lvl.1
United States

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6h2ZzpUQiU
2019-8-20
Use props
DogHasTheWheel
lvl.1
United States

2019-8-20
Use props
DogHasTheWheel
lvl.1
United States

2019-8-20
Use props
Mr Sepo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 929334 ft
Australia

Are you in auto mode?
2019-8-20
Use props
DogHasTheWheel
lvl.1
United States

no i shoot manual if that's what you mean. 4K 16:9 RockSteady On 24fps 1/50 100 ISO max
2019-8-20
Use props
peiter
First Officer
Denmark

Your footage look a bit hazy to me, and also as you use 1/50 second exposure then it dont take much to get motion blur.
Looking thru the #2 video you post and play / pause, and not least in the very start of the video i often pause on a good frame, but once you start to move more i see a lot of motion blur.

I would not drop under 1/250 for footage like this.
I also think that such slow exposure timings make rocksteady work hard trying to stabilize things, the use of a gimbal with such timings would probably be a lot better, it is also a reason why i am looking to get a gimbal.

Mighty nice scenery, aint nothing like that here in Denmark.
2019-8-20
Use props
David Martin Graff
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>
United States

My buddy has the Osmo Action and his claim is it's subtle not very annoying...
2019-8-20
Use props
DogHasTheWheel
lvl.1
United States

peiter Posted at 8-20 18:44
Your footage look a bit hazy to me, and also as you use 1/50 second exposure then it dont take much to get motion blur.
Looking thru the #2 video you post and play / pause, and not least in the very start of the video i often pause on a good frame, but once you start to move more i see a lot of motion blur.

Thanks good feedback. i was trying to follow the 180 rule with 24 fps, which would recommend as close as possible to 1/48th or 1/50th shudder speed in order to get the cinematic look. are you saying i can go higher in shudder speed and maintain cinematic look? I agree there's a lot of motion blur, but do you see the subjects vibrating or the mountains vibrating every time i take a step?
2019-8-20
Use props
DogHasTheWheel
lvl.1
United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-20 19:00
My buddy has the Osmo Action and his claim is it's subtle not very annoying...

is your friend saying my video is subtle?
2019-8-20
Use props
DogHasTheWheel
lvl.1
United States

Mr Sepo Posted at 8-20 16:23
Are you in auto mode?

no i shoot manual if that's what you mean. 4K 16:9 RockSteady On 24fps 1/50 100 ISO max
2019-8-20
Use props
David Martin Graff
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>
United States

DogHasTheWheel Posted at 8-20 22:10
is your friend saying my video is subtle?

He was commenting about his own Osmo Action that he showed me...
2019-8-20
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

The first video definitely looks hazy as someone else mentioned - not necessarily blurry.  Not sure what causes that.  The second one is clearer.  In the following, too long, video, I'm hand holding and walking.  Also be aware that sometimes Youtube can degrade a video.  WHERE were they shot.

2019-8-21
Use props
DogHasTheWheel
lvl.1
United States

ff22 Posted at 8-21 06:09
The first video definitely looks hazy as someone else mentioned - not necessarily blurry.  Not sure what causes that.  The second one is clearer.  In the following, too long, video, I'm hand holding and walking.  Also be aware that sometimes Youtube can degrade a video.  WHERE were they shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nExu2PEx-i4

Thanks for sharing. I guess i'm not so much concerned about the blurriness. That probably come from the low frame rate. I'm more concerned about everything vibrating whenever i put my foot down taking a step. I would think that RockSteady would eliminate that vibration.
2019-8-21
Use props
peiter
First Officer
Denmark

Yes but i think you make it harder for rocksteady to do well with that low exposure time, same as it also dont do that good at night, where i assume the OA camera drop to slowest exposure to give bright footage just like any dashcam would do.
You should try and do a test recording with the OA on auto, then you should see better footage.

BTW are you using a ND filter too ? i use those and it is also a reason i want to go with a gimbal + then i can also use 4K / 30 HDR which are not supported by rocksteady.
2019-8-21
Use props
DogHasTheWheel
lvl.1
United States

peiter Posted at 8-21 10:01
Yes but i think you make it harder for rocksteady to do well with that low exposure time, same as it also dont do that good at night, where i assume the OA camera drop to slowest exposure to give bright footage just like any dashcam would do.
You should try and do a test recording with the OA on auto, then you should see better footage.

Right I probably would eliminate my vibration and blurry background issues if i put the OA on auto, but then the OA may likely break the 180 rule. plus my full length projects are 24fps so i'm going to half to slow down whatever fps setting the OA auto mode uses.
Yeah I am using nd filters ranging from 4 to 64
2019-8-21
Use props
MKosmo
First Officer
United Kingdom

DogHasTheWheel Posted at 8-21 09:10
Thanks for sharing. I guess i'm not so much concerned about the blurriness. That probably come from the low frame rate. I'm more concerned about everything vibrating whenever i put my foot down taking a step. I would think that RockSteady would eliminate that vibration.

I think the vibration when you step is due to manually setting the shutter speed with rock steady. Try auto , I think you will find it is ok then.

There has been some discussion about forcing the shutter speed and the rock steady effect becoming problematic.  I know it shouldnt be this way , but for the moment it is .

Or the alternative is switch rock steady off and practise your smoothest ninja walk !
2019-8-21
Use props
DogHasTheWheel
lvl.1
United States

MKosmo Posted at 8-21 12:00
I think the vibration when you step is due to manually setting the shutter speed with rock steady. Try auto , I think you will find it is ok then.

There has been some discussion about forcing the shutter speed and the rock steady effect becoming problematic.  I know it shouldnt be this way , but for the moment it is .

Good points. I think i might splurge on a gimbal. Amazon has one right now for $100 or maybe I'll up the fps to 30 or 48, double the shutter speed and then convert back to 24 fps in post edit.
2019-8-21
Use props
peiter
First Officer
Denmark

play around, thats what i always do.
Even if i have reached a age where playing was something i should have stopped with half a lifetime ago.
2019-8-21
Use props
MKosmo
First Officer
United Kingdom

DogHasTheWheel Posted at 8-21 14:36
Good points. I think i might splurge on a gimbal. Amazon has one right now for $100 or maybe I'll up the fps to 30 or 48, double the shutter speed and then convert back to 24 fps in post edit.

I get the impression it’s the act of forcing a shutter speed rather than the actual shutter speed itself. ( since your video is shot outside in plenty of light )    So you can film in 24fps no problem but needs to be auto shutter speed.

If you get a gimbal you also have the added advantage of a slightly wider field of view with RS off.

2019-8-21
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

If you go to YouTube, you will see that the Eis on the Osmo (like on the GoPro) struggles in low light. The stabilization is based on higher shutter speeds. I actually only use frame rates below 1/200sec when on a tripod. That means you can forget about super stable capture when using ND filters... I shoot all my "cinematic" videos on the Pocket and I keep the Action for... action stuff
2019-8-23
Use props
peiter
First Officer
Denmark

Yes i also think that "180 rule" are for shooting from a stationary standpoint and at something not all too fast, like i would not use that if i was to film a motorsports event, that will just be all too much motion blur.
There are many "rules" in photography and movie making, so just hang in there play around with what you have learned from books ( yeah i know im old ) and the internet.

Wayyyyy back in the early 80ties in photo class the teacher said dont go under 1/250 for captures of humans, and dont go under 1/500 if they are moving fast.
And though you guys dont seem to be speed hiking, then at least the camera "platform" can be moving around quite fast staggering over terrain like that.

I am personally eying the Hohem Isteady pro 2 gimbal as it carry a price my pension can cover.
2019-8-23
Use props
DogHasTheWheel
lvl.1
United States

peiter Posted at 8-23 04:35
Yes i also think that "180 rule" are for shooting from a stationary standpoint and at something not all too fast, like i would not use that if i was to film a motorsports event, that will just be all too much motion blur.
There are many "rules" in photography and movie making, so just hang in there play around with what you have learned from books ( yeah i know im old ) and the internet.

good advice. i actually just ordered that exact same gimbal. i found a youtuber who had the exact same problems as me at 24fps. i'm about to start a new thread about it!
2019-8-25
Use props
MKosmo
First Officer
United Kingdom

MKosmo Posted at 8-21 21:54
I get the impression it’s the act of forcing a shutter speed rather than the actual shutter speed itself. ( since your video is shot outside in plenty of light )    So you can film in 24fps no problem but needs to be auto shutter speed.

If you get a gimbal you also have the added advantage of a slightly wider field of view with RS off.

Correction .... my impression was incorrect.   After further playing, it does come down to the lower shutter speed even when in auto.
2019-8-26
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

MKosmo Posted at 8-26 06:24
Correction .... my impression was incorrect.   After further playing, it does come down to the lower shutter speed even when in auto.

You must be doing something wrong with the settings. What's your ISO value and what ND filter are you using? If the shutter speed is low it means that the sensor isn't getting enough light.
2019-9-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules