Can I run S1 only for mobile robot?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
25joon
New

South Korea

Hi I want to run S1 only for mobile robot without other options(gun, gimbal, speaker..). But if i detach gimbal, S1 isnt work well.
Can I use S1 only for mobile robot for driving?
Thanks.

Joon
2019-8-21
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4
United States

At this time yes - but DJI is working on stuff for S1, so stay tuned.

Remember the primary function of the S1 - it's design philosophy if you will - is to engage other S1 robots in battle to the delight of its operators.  All the programming stuff is all extra joy.  If the focus was programming it would be a different animal altogether.  There are many good Educational Robots out there - this S1 is bit more edgy that the others due to it's focus on combat, where it REALLY SHINES.
2019-8-21
Use props
rhoude57 - YUL
lvl.4
Canada

MarkusXL Posted at 8-21 06:13
At this time yes - but DJI is working on stuff for S1, so stay tuned.

Remember the primary function of the S1 - it's design philosophy if you will - is to engage other S1 robots in battle to the delight of its operators.  All the programming stuff is all extra joy.  If the focus was programming it would be a different animal altogether.  There are many good Educational Robots out there - this S1 is bit more edgy that the others due to it's focus on combat, where it REALLY SHINES.

You are right. The RoboMaster S1 was inspired by the RoboMaster university-level robotics competition league. It was modeled after the Standard robot, one of 5 types of robot allowed in a RoboMAster team in 2019.
2019-8-21
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4
United States

Which is essentially techie Quiddich!  You have these young wizards using spells (software / FPV) to ride their brooms (robots) into the game where they launch balls at a goal, while trying protect their own goal.  It's straight up Quiddich!  Harry Potter would be proud.  

I particularly like how ramming is illegal and physical damage to the robots is rare.  They've made Robot Wars into a finesse game where your 'bots aren't getting bashed up.
2019-8-22
Use props
albertr
lvl.3
United States

I would be also interested to use S1 as a rover platform, not quite for its intended purpose of Robomaster solder. I'm thinking of removing the cannon and hit plates. Will I be able to use it with cannon/hitplates disconnected?

Another question (since I don't have S1 yet, just thinking of getting one) - Are there any hi-res pix of S1 intelligent controller PCB? Did anyone took apart its case and looked at PCB closely to see what hardware (SOC) its using and which interfaces it has exposed? Any luck with serial UART connection (that should be easy, right)?

-albertr
2019-8-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out. The DJI Robomaster S1 was designed with a gimbal on it. Therefore, if you will remove the gimbal and use the robot without the gimbal installed, there might be a possibility that it will not perform perfectly instead of having a gimbal on it. However, we will forward this suggestion of yours to our developer for attention. Should you have any inquiries or concern please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your kind and understanding. Cheers!
2019-8-22
Use props
rhoude57 - YUL
lvl.4
Canada

I disconnected the Blaster cable from the Turret. The RoboMaster S1 powered up with the error shown in the attached screen capture. The robot worked just fine despite the error. I imagine, then, that you could remove the Blaster and use the Turret for some other use.You could possibly capture the messages sent over the CAN-Bus that connects to the Blaster and repurpose the messages without having to reprogram the app.

Screenshot_20190822-203137_RoboMaster.jpg
2019-8-22
Use props
rhoude57 - YUL
lvl.4
Canada

albertr Posted at 8-22 09:02
I would be also interested to use S1 as a rover platform, not quite for its intended purpose of Robomaster solder. I'm thinking of removing the cannon and hit plates. Will I be able to use it with cannon/hitplates disconnected?

Another question (since I don't have S1 yet, just thinking of getting one) - Are there any hi-res pix of S1 intelligent controller PCB? Did anyone took apart its case and looked at PCB closely to see what hardware (SOC) its using and which interfaces it has exposed? Any luck with serial UART connection (that should be easy, right)?

I would not bother removing the Hit Plates. They make a great light effect and provide some level of tailoring/customizing for the robot by selecting a colour or another.
2019-8-22
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4
United States

@YUL  great experiment!!  Engineering 101!

Regarding using S1 as camera platform, remember those mecanum wheels are very poor on dust, dirt, sand, grass, gravel, rocks, mud, water, shag carpet...  Really only good on flat, clean surfaces.  In my mind that really limits it as a camera carrier.
2019-8-22
Use props
rhoude57 - YUL
lvl.4
Canada

MarkusXL Posted at 8-22 17:30
@YUL  great experiment!!  Engineering 101!

Regarding using S1 as camera platform, remember those mecanum wheels are very poor on dust, dirt, sand, grass, gravel, rocks, mud, water, shag carpet...  Really only good on flat, clean surfaces.  In my mind that really limits it as a camera carrier.

There are many other sensors the S1 could carry, including ultaresonic, LIDAR, stereo vision and IR/UV cameras.
There are also very  many indoor uses the robot can be put to work at.
2019-8-22
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4
United States

rhoude57 - YUL Posted at 8-22 22:04
There are many other sensors the S1 could carry, including ultaresonic, LIDAR, stereo vision and IR/UV cameras.
There are also very  many indoor uses the robot can be put to work at.

I know!  It's killing me I'm so limited at getting data into to the S1 for decision making.  So I'm stuck with Vision Markers for now.  I just coded up a gimbal search pattern and it indeed does "see" the VM and interrupts the search pattern code (they call it a Trigger) to take aim and shoot it.  It also records which VM it saw, for what that's worth.  Next step is to add some chassis movement.  Then see if it's possible to calculate the range of the VM from that List Object it fills up.
2019-8-23
Use props
rhoude57 - YUL
lvl.4
Canada

MarkusXL Posted at 8-23 22:35
I know!  It's killing me I'm so limited at getting data into to the S1 for decision making.  So I'm stuck with Vision Markers for now.  I just coded up a gimbal search pattern and it indeed does "see" the VM and interrupts the search pattern code (they call it a Trigger) to take aim and shoot it.  It also records which VM it saw, for what that's worth.  Next step is to add some chassis movement.  Then see if it's possible to calculate the range of the VM from that List Object it fills up.

I feel the same frustration...
I hope the DJI RoboMaster S1 development team is ready our input and has placed high in the priority list the opening up of the S1 Software Development Kit (SDK) and the publishing a programming manual written at a standard equivalent at least to the of the DJI Tello and Tello EDU, which are very much in line with a the SDK documentation produced for the larger drones.
As for Marker ranging, it is possible to compute a Marker range by triangulating from a number of azimuth readings taken s the S1 drivees by.
To do that I'm thinking of writing a program that would build a list of Marker identification items each stored with a time tag and the chassis set to translate at a fixed speed.
A new programming project for the S1 bucket list...
2019-8-24
Use props
fanse0f99f08
New
Turkey

not possible
2019-8-28
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4
United States

Well, what about this rig?  Mobile Camera 'bot S1 no blaster: