Is ok to leave batteries plugged into the charger 24/7?
21649 12 2019-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 363661 ft
United States

I know the mavic batteries will slowly start to discharge after a few days. Usually this isn't a problem since I usually have enough advance time to recharge the batteries.
Occasionally though I need to use the drone on short notice and I'm usually stuck with flying with a bunch of batteries at 60-50%. Would it be ok to leave the batteries plugged into the charger 24/7 to keep them at 100%? I've assumed the answer is no which is why I haven't done that. But i just thought I'd check to make sure.
2019-8-21
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The batteries won't start charging again if you keep them attached to the charger. It's also not a great idea to leave batteries unattended while charging. In the rare case that something goes wrong, it could burn your house down.
2019-8-21
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

these DJI batteries are generally safe so if you left them plugged in overnight by mistake or something dont worry about it.. they stop charging once hit 100% and wont restart charging unless plugged back in and below a certain threshold.  but it is a good habit to have unplugging the batteries once they are done just incase something fails in the charger or battery and sends full power into the battery or freak of nature happens and lightning shorts it out and fries it or something..

i typically dont stand over my dji batteries charging, but once i eventually notice they are finished i have the habit of unplugging the batteries and moving them to side of my desk to packing them in my bag because no point to them still being plugged in and plus it lets me know im ready to go with a quick look..
2019-8-21
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We have a recommendation when in terms of storing your batteries if you will not use it for a long time. Please refer to the link below for further check. Thank you for your support.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... y_Guidelines_EN.pdf
2019-8-21
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 363661 ft
United States

Ok thanks, no point in living them plugged in then.
2019-8-21
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Should be fine but I wouldn't just to be safe
2019-8-21
Use props
droneflyer101
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The batteries will always stop charging when max capacity, however, I would never advise it. When they are in the charge they should be monitored. Li-Pos are dangerous if misused, keep an eye on them, take them off when they are full!
2019-8-22
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

The big issue is the batteries HATE being stored fully charged.  They'll swell and wear out extremely quickly.  The mavic 2 batteries seem significantly more prone to swelling and wear than the old ones.  If you keep a LiPo battery at 100% for a few weeks its going to die on you in a few weeks or months at most.
Generally what i do in case i need to fly *now* is i keep one battery fully charged and the others at 40-60% discharged.  Every 10 days when that full one has started to sel discharge i'll use the next battery, charge to 100% and use that as a standby.

It'll still kill the batteries but less quickly then all 3 full all the time will.

There's no *safety* risk leaving them on the charger but you'll be buying all new batteries every month or two.
2019-8-22
Use props
SD_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've charged the DJI batteries overnight or for several hours and never, ever an issue but make it a habit of taking them off the charge once fully charge of course. Besides they're "Intelligent" right?

On the other hand, Li-Po batteries for other crafts such as race quads, fpv crafts, cars, helicopters, fixed wing etc.....oh nooooooo. Extremely dangerous and I would never leave those alone while charging. I constantly keep on eye on them and the voltage charge but then again those are indeed 'Dumb-Dumb" batteries.
2019-8-22
Use props
GRbbt1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 65837 ft
Bulgaria

Can I take a battery from the charger while charging? Lets say I'm chanrging an empty battery up to 50% in order to store it for a long time and I have attached all batteries on the charger. Can I just take the first one when it reaches 50% without unplugging the charger from the network?
2020-2-7
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

GRbbt1 Posted at 2-7 03:46
Can I take a battery from the charger while charging? Lets say I'm chanrging an empty battery up to 50% in order to store it for a long time and I have attached all batteries on the charger. Can I just take the first one when it reaches 50% without unplugging the charger from the network?

I don't see a problem with that.  Check with your manual or contact DJI to make sure, but I've never had an issue, as that I simply disconnect the battery after a full charge though.
2020-2-7
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

The most I've left my batteries plugged in was overnight, which was once.  I usually charge them up and take them off of the charger once it's full.  I don't want to keep them on longer than necessary, as I wish to minimize the issue of them swelling.
2020-2-7
Use props
djiuser_cQUTM6pDuEC8
New

United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2019-8-21 10:02
these DJI batteries are generally safe so if you left them plugged in overnight by mistake or something dont worry about it.. they stop charging once hit 100% and wont restart charging unless plugged back in and below a certain threshold.  but it is a good habit to have unplugging the batteries once they are done just incase something fails in the charger or battery and sends full power into the battery or freak of nature happens and lightning shorts it out and fries it or something..

i typically dont stand over my dji batteries charging, but once i eventually notice they are finished i have the habit of unplugging the batteries and moving them to side of my desk to packing them in my bag because no point to them still being plugged in and plus it lets me know im ready to go with a quick look..

Here for the bear too lol
2023-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules