Osmo Pocket for Scuba Diving Review
6064 11 2019-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bowshika
lvl.2
United States

Hi everyone. I made two videos on DJI's Osmo Pocket for scuba, first a comparison between it and the Hero 7 Black and then a review.

Video Comparison between the Osmo Pocket and the Hero 7 Black

Review of the Osmo Pocket for Scuba

The summary is that I think the Osmo Pocket needs an improvement to the case design, 1) where the angle isn't limited so that it can take advantage of the gimbal system and 2) multiple o-rings and more threads for a more robust system to prevent water ingress. The low light footage of the Osmo Pocket is better than the GoPro though, but is less stabilized due to the case keeping it in flashlight mode.

2019-8-21
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent review
2019-8-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Thanks for the review.
2019-8-22
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing!
2019-8-22
Use props
sincabeza
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2508911 ft
  • >>>
Ukraine

thanks for review.
this is why I will not buy OP underwater case. dont like a quality of video.

2019-8-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for sharing this awesome review of yours for the DJI Osmo Pocket. Great work. Thank you for your continued support!
2019-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Great review and loads of stuff for dji researchers to think about, I think what you have is a first attempt by a company that is not used to manufacturing UW products, they may need to farm out this kind of thing to the pros , they definitely need extra redundancy.
I’m just wondering if dji will stand over this product, not everyone has care refresh, I have tried mine without problems but only in a swimming pool .
Great job thanks again .
2019-8-22
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Thank you for this video, I was desperately searching someone that actually dove with the pocket and not pretended to do so while on a pool...
UNFORTUNATELY my prediction was correct: the UW mode crippled the Pocket's stabilization, especially on the vertical axis.
I guess I was right to buy an additional Osmo Action for diving, EiS will definetely work better (like on the GoPro) BUT I haven't yet managed to 'swim' with it for more than 10mn without fogging, even with 3 anti fog inserts! I believe DJI's UW case (mine is 3d party) should have some kind of heat transfer system between the OA metalic filter directly to the sea water otherwise fogging will make filming underwater impossible (the Osmo Action gets very, very hot).

I will wait until then and if DJI isn't capable of solving the problem, I will have to saddly switch to the new GoPro 8...

* Divemaster here recovering from biceps and shoulder tendon tear surgery
2019-8-23
Use props
bowshika
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 8-22 12:52
Great review and loads of stuff for dji researchers to think about, I think what you have is a first attempt by a company that is not used to manufacturing UW products, they may need to farm out this kind of thing to the pros , they definitely need extra redundancy.
I’m just wondering if dji will stand over this product, not everyone has care refresh, I have tried mine without problems but only in a swimming pool .
Great job thanks again .

Thanks! I think building an UW housing for a gimbal is really difficult since the lens isn't parallel to the case, which is why they limited the angles so that the image wouldn't be warped or cut off by the housing's glass and case. I do think they can make this thing a lot more rugged though and I hope they do! Otherwise they might just cut their losses and focus on the Osmo Action which I can't blame them for. It's far easier making something like a GoPro that than a specialized case for a pocket size gimbal.  
2019-8-24
Use props
bowshika
lvl.2
United States

El Diabolico Posted at 8-23 04:14
Thank you for this video, I was desperately searching someone that actually dove with the pocket and not pretended to do so while on a pool...
UNFORTUNATELY my prediction was correct: the UW mode crippled the Pocket's stabilization, especially on the vertical axis.
I guess I was right to buy an additional Osmo Action for diving, EiS will definetely work better (like on the GoPro) BUT I haven't yet managed to 'swim' with it for more than 10mn without fogging, even with 3 anti fog inserts! I believe DJI's UW case (mine is 3d party) should have some kind of heat transfer system between the OA metalic filter directly to the sea water otherwise fogging will make filming underwater impossible (the Osmo Action gets very, very hot).

It's interesting to me that it's fogging up that much. I don't have the Osmo Action but you bring up a good point with the heat transfer. I wonder how GoPro got around this problem, since I rarely see my case fog up unless I'm starting in a humid area when closing the case.

I still prefer tossing the Osmo Pocket into a bag for travel not involving scuba rather than the GoPro because of the time lapse feature and also I don't have any accessories like a pole mount. It also feels weird to me pulling out a Hero and waving it around while the Pocket is really tiny.

I highly recommend the Hero 7 Black for scuba, not sure what the Hero 8 brings new to the table but I guess I'll have to check that out.
2019-8-24
Use props
Miro Perez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 25374 ft
United States

Nice review
2019-8-24
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

bowshika Posted at 8-24 11:12
It's interesting to me that it's fogging up that much. I don't have the Osmo Action but you bring up a good point with the heat transfer. I wonder how GoPro got around this problem, since I rarely see my case fog up unless I'm starting in a humid area when closing the case.

I still prefer tossing the Osmo Pocket into a bag for travel not involving scuba rather than the GoPro because of the time lapse feature and also I don't have any accessories like a pole mount. It also feels weird to me pulling out a Hero and waving it around while the Pocket is really tiny.

It is actually very disappointing, ambient temperature 28C and water temp 24C. No AC and no crazy humidity. I can only imagine what will happen if one goes a little deeper.... I really, really hope they come up with a clever solution ;)
2019-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules