Help Me Decide!! Mavic Pro 2 vs Air for Travel
1931 19 2019-8-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans8269d5df
lvl.1

United States

I'm a photographer and starting videographer so I love quality, but I'm also not sure how much I'll be using a drone yet, although I've always wanted one.
I'm looking to carry it around for youtube when we travel or hike (perhaps I can use it for some paid gigs too), but my biggest concern is portability, and then price. I'm a small girl that will already be carrying around a Sony mirrorless camera and extra lens in my bag.
I've narrowed it down to the DJI Mavic Pro 2 or Air
My Q: Is the Mavic Pro 2 + controller and batteries small enough to fit inside a backpack? Or should I just be looking at the Air instead? I do value quality, but if the quality difference is negligible, I'd rather go with the cheaper option.  I will be color grading my footage btw (is the Air ok to do that on?).  Is the connection on the Air bad enough that we'll potentially lose it anyways (in which case, I'd just pay the price for the Mavic Pro 2 so I know I won't loose my investment)?
What is your advice?  Thanks in advance!!
www.ninamariephotography.com

2019-8-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

I have carried mine (M2P) in a backpack when traveling with no issues.  The Mavic 2 range/signal is significantly better than the air.  Also the Mavic 2 pro camera is better than the air.  From what I've read I would not buy the air.
2019-8-22
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Plenty of videos on YouTube regarding portability and uses for both drones.  Have a look and decide for yourself.  Opinions will vary....
2019-8-22
Use props
ninamarie8253
lvl.1

United States

DAFlys Posted at 8-22 05:28
I have carried mine (M2P) in a backpack when traveling with no issues.  The Mavic 2 range/signal is significantly better than the air.  Also the Mavic 2 pro camera is better than the air.  From what I've read I would not buy the air.

thanks a lot, so u do feel the m2p is totally portable and travelable in a medium/small backpack with another camera/lens/waterbottle?  i havent gotten to see one in person yet
2019-8-22
Use props
ninamarie8253
lvl.1

United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 8-22 05:40
Plenty of videos on YouTube regarding portability and uses for both drones.  Have a look and decide for yourself.  Opinions will vary....

yeah just wanted to get the feedback from everyday users.
2019-8-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Might be worth waiting for the rumoured Mavic Mini to launch and then decide.  https://dronedj.com/2019/08/16/d ... s-leaked-245-grams/
2019-8-22
Use props
ninamarie8253
lvl.1

United States

DAFlys Posted at 8-22 06:49
Might be worth waiting for the rumoured Mavic Mini to launch and then decide.  https://dronedj.com/2019/08/16/dji-mavic-mini-specs-leaked-245-grams/

thanks for letting me know!! but the camera isnt improved and the connection is still wifi vs gps so idk
2019-8-22
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

You'll get more all around flight ability and professional photography with the M2P than you will with the Air, the real only difference to go with the Air is if you need that much more portability, which isn't saying much given the M2P is very compact and mobile folded up and stored inside the case. To know you have that much muscle of a drone in arguably a little larger form factor goes miles above and beyond when you see the finished product...
2019-8-22
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

ninamarie8253 Posted at 8-22 07:01
thanks for letting me know!! but the camera isnt improved and the connection is still wifi vs gps so idk

WiFi vs GPS?  
2019-8-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're sure that our valued DJI forum members would provide the best recommendation that you may need in regards to this query. Thank you for your support.
2019-8-22
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

my vote: Mavic 2 series because better reliability being as it is a flagship model dji over engineers them, better camera on both models has way more dynamic range and better glass, better battery 31 mins of rated flight time and less voltage sag in tough flight conditions, quieter so easier to sneak a flight out while people arent suspecting, larger platform and is more stable in the wind doesnt bounce around nearly as much as smaller drones, range of occusync/2.0 is rediculiously good, HEVC/H256 encoding and Mlog/10 bit HDR video on mavic 2 pro gives u huuuuge laditude in post editing work with color grading and exposure correction, and zoom gives u huge in the field laditude to recompose or retain safe distances...   i have had mavic air and honestly DJI was so very close to making the perfect ultra compact travel drone with the mavic air,  but they over compromised it i think.  its upgrade from the spark by a long shot but a downgrade from what is actually possible..

reasons i dont reccomend mavic air:   Wifi link is too weak and prone to dropping frames in live view and disconnecting if anything in between you and it + range was depending on so many things i sometimes felt like even the day of the week played a role in how good the connection was, tiny camera sensor/lens issues, the weak limited range of 3 axis gimbal was easy to hit ends of, the battery runtime is nearly ideal but in my experience batteries wear faster, the drone is super loud so harder to be discrete once in the air so if trying to sneak some aerial shots while people arent looking best of luck not getting noticed.   

reasons i would reccomend mavic air:  size being nearly perfect fits in a coat pocket, cost being noticably lower, battery life isnt horrible, bit rate of 4K video is 100mpbs.  

2019-8-22
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

From what you stated yourself.......You need the mavic pro 2 no question.
2019-8-22
Use props
ninamarie8253
lvl.1

United States

Well guys, I did it. I got the MAVIC 2 PRO!!! Tried it out yesterday, my dad who flys drones was super impressed, and my husband and I are in love. It definitely is bulkier than I thought, like its heavier than I wanted it to be because of the battery, but I think the plan is my husband will carry it around lol I just need to get a good backpack for him to do so. Thank you SO much for your help.  

I want to get my Dad one now, but he wont need the fancy camera, he just wants GPS signal instead of wifi only.  And also uh $$, does anyone know of a good compromise option I can buy 2nd hand thats as sturdy as a rock to fly but without the high quality camera features?
2019-8-26
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ninamarie8253 Posted at 8-22 07:01

In view of that reply I would recommend the M2P if you don't want a basic WiFi transmission such as that on the Mavic Air
2019-8-26
Use props
IU drone
lvl.2

China

I would also recommend Mavic 2 Pro, it is portable for girls.
If you still need a backpack for it, I recommend this backpack for you. The quality is high and it has sturdy and thick protective foam. and it is waterproof. I think it is perfect for traveling.
And I just found it has 45% off now.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/mpc/A1JNJCQPEKMIWC

2019-10-22
Use props
Aliza111
lvl.1

Pakistan

Both of them are good choices for travel. You can use any of them to take for travel. You can also get more travel tings at travel accessories stores where you can get all the accessories related to travel. Moreover, you can also get all the information regarding travel here.
2020-2-7
Use props
Aliza111
lvl.1

Pakistan

Both of them are good choices for travel. You can use any of them to take for travel. You can also get more travel tings at travel accessories stores where you can get all the accessories related to travel. Moreover, you can also get all the information regarding travel here.
2020-2-7
Use props
Aliza111
lvl.1

Pakistan

Both of them are good choices for travel. You can use any of them to take for travel. You can also get more travel tings at <a >travel accessories stores</a> where you can get all the accessories related to travel. Moreover, you can also get all the information regarding travel here.
2020-2-7
Use props
Aliza111
lvl.1

Pakistan

Both of them are good choices for travel. You can use any of them to take for travel. You can also get more travel tings at https://travelsites.com/ where you can get all the accessories related to travel. Moreover, you can also get all the information regarding travel here.
2020-2-7
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mavic 2 would be a better choice out of the two.  I'm talking from owning both drones, first is connectivity and second is for picture.
2020-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules