Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Rendering 4k on Davinci Resolve Glitching
10180 43 2019-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

David Martin Graff Posted at 9-9 12:01
It use to be Sony under their creative development that they shifted their focus no longer producing or market software that fell under that division, so they sold most of the division assets to MAGIX, who is a German-based company that has been in the space of music and movie editing for quite some time.

Thanks for the info
2019-10-19
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Did you look up the minimum machine specifications for rendering at 4K within DaVinci Resolve?

Often video editing is one of the most demanding things you can get a computer to do. Although a lot of systems can play back 4K, editing and rendering such files is a lot more demanding of the system.
I tried looking up the minimum requirements for rendering 4K with DaVinci Resolve as it surprisingly doesn't get a mention on their main website pages. However I found this document from them.
DaVinci Resolve specs
That's quite a powerful system they are suggesting.

This is the system requirements for Grass Valley's Edius program.
Dedius by Grass valley

This is for the Vegas Editing program.
Magix Vegas

One for Magix Movie Edit Pro Premium.
https://www.magix.com/us/video-editor/movie-edit-pro/specifications/#c1123932

Make sure your system meets the requirements for 4K and not the minimum specs which are really much lower. A lot of systems will require the CPU to have the Intel inbuilt graphics chip capable of supporting the Intel Graphics HD 520.

The Osmo Pocket produces files with higher bit rates than some other cameras recording 4K so may be more processor intensive.

There are a lot of video editing programs out there and some are less demanding than others regarding minimum computer specifications but may lack support for the frame rates being  recorded from the source files.

2019-10-19
Use props
Mirek6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

AmyMarieBorg,
In my opinion, Davinci Resolve is the best professional video editing tool available. And its free. But...

I use version 15 of Davinci Resolve and have noticed problems with proper rendering of MP4 files where source is DJI Osmo Pocket. Quality is poor even though I set rendering to the best quality. After some experimentation I came up with the solution which works for me and concluded that this is a bug in Davinci Resolve which, fortunately has workaround.

One needs to optimize DJI Osmo Pocket files in Davinci before editing them. Otherwise editing experience will be subpar. However, the common advice is to not use optimized media when rendering. This is logical, since, if we do, we force source file through two step of processing: original -> optimized and optimized -> final. Every step may result in some loss of information.

But... if you use optimized media for final rendering, all quality issues with DJI Osmo Pocket footage are gone. My theory is that Davinci has some issue reading MP4 format from OSMO during delivery step and converting it into final high quality MP4 output. However, when it uses optmized files (which it generated itself) than it does not have any issues.

So.

Set up your project to use optimized media:
Project Stettings -> Master Settings - Optmized Media and Render Cache:
  • Optimized Media Resolution: Choose Automatically (this will generate same resolution as timeline)
  • Optimized Media Format: DNxHR SQ (standard quality DNxHR)
  • Render Cache Format: DNxHR SQ
You could use different settings but the above worked for me as a charm - DNxHR produces huge file sizes but is high quality and extremely easy on editor.

After importing DJI Osmo Pocket files to DaVinci Resolve, generate and use Optimized media.

• In Media tab highlight files you want optimized, right clcik and choose "Generate Optimized Media". This may take a while becasue Davinci is decompressing mp4 and building much larger files whiach are edit-friendly.
  • Also check "Use optimized media if available" in Playback menu

When creating final video on Delivery page, choose best quality, scroll down to Advanced Settings menu and make sure that you check the box titled "Use optimized media".

This way your final rendering is done from the optimized media which are in Davinci-friendly format which is very easy for DaVinci to process. If you keep this box unchecked, Davinci will use source DJI Osmo Pocket files for rendering and it will stumble. It shouldn't, but it does - bug.

Perhaps this bug is already solved in Davinci Resolve 16. I did not check.

Good luck!

BTW. DO not forget to delete optimized media when you are done (Playback menu -> Delete Optimized Media...). Otherwise they will unnecessarily use space on your disk.

Mirek
2020-2-1
Use props
AmyMarieBorg
lvl.3
Malta

Mirek6 Posted at 2-1 15:20
AmyMarieBorg,
In my opinion, Davinci Resolve is the best professional video editing tool available. And its free. But...

Hi Mirek ,

Thank you very much for all your information, I'll try it out. Thankfully DAVINCI hasn't been glitching lately. It might be since it has updated since and yeah I agree, it does take a lot of time to read files from OP. I'm still quite new to DAVINCI so I've only yet tried out the basic things. Thanks for your info though. Highly appreciated.
2020-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules